4C Mag85 LE

wtraymond

Enlightened
Has anybody run this configuration? It looks like three 18650s will fit perfectly in a 4C Mag host. You will need a potted 1185 bulb as there is no high-temp sockets yet available for the Mag C.

This should be a nice alternative to the 3D-9AA version of the Mag85. The 18650s will provide 40% longer run time than the CBP1650s in a smaller host. The 4C is about 6mm longer than the 3D but much thinner and lighter. AND, the 1185 draws only 3.4 amps compared to the popular ROP LE that draws over 4 amps from two cells.

The biggest obstacle I see is lack of high-temp socket and the high initial voltage of 12.6v. Additionally, the new incan regulators don't fit the Mag C (maybe with modification).

I was also thinking that four 18650s in series in a 2D Mag85 with PIR regulator will give you about 50 minutes run time.

Delvance

Enlightened
Awhile ago, i had thought of building a M@G85 on 3 LIons as well. Don't see why it can't be done, just that the initial V might blow the bulb though...seeing how many M@g85 users instaflash their bulbs...probably safe to say that the 1185 lamp is being pushed really hard.

Other than instaflash risk (solved by a regulator i guess), their LIons will sag alot under 3A+ draw, so the brightness will be no match for a CBP or probably even a Sanyo 2500 powered model. Once again, just solve it by running some stacks in parallel. Be careful with lots of LIons running in parallel and series etc. You might have to change cell sizes and come up with a good config though.

4 18650 in series ? I don't think that's going to fit =/. Side by side, you'll need to bore the light out, and i think you'll also need to modify the tailcap, as in the actual thread itself although i'm not 100% about this.

Build one, find out :)

farmall

Enlightened
There is a Hi -temp C socket. KIU has made some, but they are hard to come by. You could ask him if he has any left.

lexina

Enlightened
wait for the C LiIons by Aw. then you can run the 1185 on 3 X C LiIons in a Mag3C!

2 parallel stacks of 2 X 17670 may fit in a 2D - was thinking of doing that to run a WA1111 or a ROP.

Delvance

Enlightened
Hoooooogee capacity! I think like 5500mAh, and don't forget it's 5500mAh with 3.7V! Per D size cell =/ Absolutely crazy!

Lexina,
Awhile ago i was thinking of changing my 2D to four 17670s too...never got around to it though.

Kryosphinx said:
Would 3 D size li-ions offer any benifits vs a bunch of AA's?

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
Delvance said:
Hoooooogee capacity! I think like 5500mAh, and don't forget it's 5500mAh with 3.7V! Per D size cell =/ Absolutely crazy!

Lexina,
Awhile ago i was thinking of changing my 2D to four 17670s too...never got around to it though.

Well then, somebody's gotta build a hooooooogee runtime Mag85 :naughty:

lexina

Enlightened
Kryosphinx said:
Would 3 D size li-ions offer any benifits vs a bunch of AA's?

Just be aware that the D LiIons only come in unprotected form at the moment while the C LiIOns are protected. On the other hand, it's possible the protection circuit may prevent the C's from firing up the 1185 unless there is a regulator.

Nabors

Newly Enlightened
Kryosphinx said:
Well then, somebody's gotta build a hooooooogee runtime Mag85 :naughty:

Some one has... :whistle: You have to discharge the cells down to 4.1v unloaded before you turn it on, and it still holds 11.6v on the bulb for the first few min. Havent done a full run yet waiting on my hotdriver for that.

wtraymond

Enlightened
Delvance said:
Other than instaflash risk (solved by a regulator i guess), their LIons will sag alot under 3A+ draw, so the brightness will be no match for a CBP or probably even a Sanyo 2500 powered model. Once again, just solve it by running some stacks in parallel. Be careful with lots of LIons running in parallel and series etc. You might have to change cell sizes and come up with a good config though.

4 18650 in series ? I don't think that's going to fit =/. Side by side, you'll need to bore the light out, and i think you'll also need to modify the tailcap, as in the actual thread itself although i'm not 100% about this.

Build one, find out :)

My 2.5C ROP LE draws 4.2 amps from two series 18650s and it's very bright. A 1185 should only draw about 3.4 amps max and that's only 1.5C. You're right about needing to bored out the 2D for four 18650. I may even simply install a battery pack and wire it to the switch directly with a connector to reduce resistance.

farmall said:
There is a Hi -temp C socket. KIU has made some, but they are hard to come by. You could ask him if he has any left.

That's good to know. I'll have to bug him about that :grin2: I think I read that he's coming out with a run of the 'C' size sockets soon.

lexina said:
wait for the C LiIons by Aw. then you can run the 1185 on 3 X C LiIons in a Mag3C!

Other than having a 4C Mag vs. a 3C Mag there would be little difference. Besides, it could be months before we see the 'C' li-ions and they may not work with there protection circuits. I was thinking of using a 3C Mag host and one of modamag's 1C body extensions until the 'C' li-ions arrived. Then I could just remove the extension and try the 'C's.

Delvance said:

I've got five of these 'D' li-ions and it turns out they have about 4200mah capacity. That's not too bad, but I'd rather carry a 3C/4C Mag85 than a 3D Mag85. I've built a 2D ROP LE and a 3D Mag85 LE with the five 'D' li-ions, but they are both still waiting for regulators - coming soon.

Nabors said:
Some one has... You have to discharge the cells down to 4.1v unloaded before you turn it on, and it still holds 11.6v on the bulb for the first few min. Havent done a full run yet waiting on my hotdriver for that.

Way to go, Nabors! The hotdriver is really going to make these lights... SHINE!

lexina

Enlightened
wtraymond said:
I was thinking of using a 3C Mag host and one of modamag's 1C body extensions until the 'C' li-ions arrived. Then I could just remove the extension and try the 'C's.

Good idea! In fact, you could even leave the extension on and run an MR16 or other 12v bulb on 4 X C LiIons!