Something special?

ianb

Enlightened
...is what I want :)

I am looking to replace my surefire U2, as it was mainly used for higher power (I've recently got a HDS U60 for lower/variable output).

I want a small 2 x cr123 light(around U2 size), with a good output, I'd also want something that makes me go Ooooh when I see it :)

I have a couple of ideas, what do you think and could you suggest anything better, I ideally want a reasonable throw (hopefully to better the U2 on high) and good side spill( is that too much?)

my ideas are:-

1) Night Ops Gladius
2)Arcmania SF-III

your thoughts appreciated...

Ian B

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about an Aleph3 head on a 2x123A body and 2-stage tailcap? You'll get a low and high with good throw and output in a very well made light.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second this recommendation.

Aleph 3, Luxeon III (maybe UX1K) on a 2x123 body. This will wow you. Guaranteed.

Or, you can get a HD45 perhaps in a Luxeon V flavor?

jsr said:
How about an Aleph3 head on a 2x123A body and 2-stage tailcap? You'll get a low and high with good throw and output in a very well made light.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the comments I have to make on the Gladius are in my writeup of the "Three Way Shootout"

I've heard the Aleph setup Wave Particle describes is awesome, but I've never actually seen one.

Beyond that might I suggest that you go to the ever popular
** Flashlight Recommendation Checklist **
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/96884
copy it to here and fill out the questions and we'll probably be able to help you find the right light for you.

Other good resources include
http://www.flashlightreviews.com (Run by Quickbeam)
http://www.theledmuseum.org (Run by LEDmuseum)

ianb

Enlightened
Okay so Aleph sounds good as another possible to add to the list, now I'll answer the questionaire...

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I have no limit! (well I guess $350ish)

2) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

____3-6 inches. (Pocket/holster carry)

4) Width:

____I don't care.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)--------X--------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____60-240 min. (1-2 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)

8) Switch Type:

____I don't care.

9) Switch Location:

____I don't care.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me.

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I don't care.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Waterproof – how deep: so I can drop it in a puddle and not worry :)

okay I think that about answers that, thanks, Zespectre,

Ian B

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on the answers to your questionaire, you want a 5W HD45:

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=749

It's probably not as small as you want it, but it would be more than 100 lumens and will pretty much out-throw any LED out there.

$215, 100+ lumens, runtime in excess of 1hour on max, can take primary CR123's and even Li-ion rechargeables!

A close second would be the Aleph 3 setup I mentioned earlier:

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=665

$226, small (can be upgraded to a 2-cell setup), very bright, can throw as far as HD45 and can take primary CR123's and rechargeable Li-ions. Not really sure what the lumen numbers are, but it is impressive.

Enjoy!

WP

ianb

Enlightened
Wave Particle thanks, the HD 45 sounds good and has the same name as a favorite air pistol I used to have :)
The Aleph with 1x 123 what sort of run could I expect?

many thanks, Ian B

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to say, since the Aleph series are highly customizable.....

Check this out to start:

http://dmcleish.com/CPF/run-times/index.html

It should cover most your choices.....

For background info, check this out:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/64146

Lots of reading to do, but it is fun. To make your own personal Aleph is something really special!

WP

ianb said:
Wave Particle thanks, the HD 45 sounds good and has the same name as a favorite air pistol I used to have :)
The Aleph with 1x 123 what sort of run could I expect?

many thanks, Ian B

Lexus

Enlightened
You want the HD45 either with a 3W for longer runtime and a bit more throw or a 5W, which still has a runtime of over an hour with around 2x the lumen output, since the current HD45 3W version is only available with a T-bin (around 70-90 lumens), the HD45 5W comes with a lovely W-bin (around 150-190 lumens).

If you want to interchange the lightengine, reflector, flashlightbody or tailcap, than go the Aleph route and build yourself a light that fits your needs the most.

EDIT: I still vote for the HD45, especially the 5watter, I love mine, it rocks!!! :rock:
It may not be a beauty queen, it's a workhorse which excels in what flashlights are meant to do: Putting out light!

Last edited:

ianb

Enlightened
Okay, its done!

I've taken the plunge and ordered a HD 45 5w, and if its no good, well you've all got some explaining to do :D

thanks, I'm already excited :) abut its gonna be a week or more until I get it :(
but who cares :)

Ian B