US Saving Bonds

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
How might I find out what the interest rate is on some US bonds I have? I've been buying US saving bonds, thru payroll deduction, since 1989. I do remember that when I first started buying them, there was a guaranteed 6% rate, if kept more then 5 years but I also realize that the deals change from time to time.
Anyone know about these things?
BTW, I'm meeting with a financial adviser on Friday but I'd like to go armed. :xyxgun:
TIA

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
tdhg566 said:
You typically wouldn't buy gov debt instruments if you have ANY need for appreciation or to hedge against inflation..

I am retired. I own US Series I Savings Bonds as a portion of my portfolio as a hedge against inflation. Their current interest rate is 6.73% and they are exempt from state income taxes.

From the Treasury web site: "The earnings rate of an I Bond is a combination of two separate rates: a fixed rate of return and a variable semiannual inflation rate. The fixed rate remains the same throughout the life of the I Bond, while the semiannual inflation rate can vary every six months...."

See http://www.publicdebt.treas.gov/sav/sbiinvst.htm for info about Series I Savings Bonds.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
tdhg566 said:
Hopefully your advisor isn't suggesting that.

Not yet. I'm to meet with him this friday to ask what to do with them.

parnass said:
Their current interest rate is 6.73%

That sounds good to me. I'll ask about possibly converting to I bonds.
I'm looking to retire :party: in 3 years with 30 years with bellsouth, soon to be at&t (I hope).