Need to make up mind for Red Light

dca2

Enlightened
I am in need of a red led to use at an army school I will be attending. :xyxgun: I will be wearing all the gear. Size matters--want to wear w/ lanyard, throw is not an issue--will be used for night-ops (maps, sh!**er, etc.) I will have my Fenix L1P and SF E2e or G2 when more light is needed.

I am looking at:
1) Peak Matterhorn
2) Arc AAA
3) Gerber Infinity Ultra

I have searched the forums, LED Museum, and Flashlight Reviews. These all have great reviews and appear to be on par with each other with the RED LED configurations.

Questions:
-Does any one of these have a better in the field Military track record?
-Lug or Keychain with the Peak Matterhorn?
-With the Arc AAA, would I be OK with standard vs. Premium for Red LED?
-Does the Gerber's tail switch make it less useable when worn with a lanyard?

Thanks for input,
Dave

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not think the Arc AAA is available in premium with red LED right now.

I've used a Photon II with red LED in that environment and it works fine. Not waterproof though. Over time (several weeks) of wearing it on your ID tags through showers and such, the leads of the LED will rust a bit. Nothing your multitool can't fix though.

If you can get an Arc AAA in red, that's what I'd use. I don't have a red one...just white and UV. I also have a SF L1, but that would be best on your gear...not on a lanyard around your neck, IMHO.

If you can't get an Arc, get an older CMG AA in red.

What school, btw?

JM-99

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a CMG Infinity and a CMG Infinity Ultra, both in red, and the beam pattern was quite unimpressive. Lots of dark areas throughout the 'hotspot'. Never had a red ARC but I did have a 3 LED Peak AAA light which was very nice. Had the recessed LEDs so it was more long the lines of a 'wide spot with limited spillbeam' than a the more traditional 'bright spot and ample spillbeam' of the ARCs and Infinity Ultras.

If I was going to carry it on a neck lanyard, my first choice would be the 3 LED Peak, then an ARC then the Infinity Ultra.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read,elsewhere on CPF that Peaks perform very well in the field, come in a variety of colours (Red, no problem) and when worn on a neck lanyard, can be showered etc with no damage to the performance.

NB- brass is heavy!!!

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my red CMG, but I don't have any other reds to compare it too. It'd be a little bulky for 24 hour wear on a lanyard for me, though. Not sure how long you'd be wearing it for a day.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the old CMG Infinities and have quite a few of them in most colors -- but red. IIRC Mr Museum said runtime for the red one was between 40 and 60 hours! As someone else mentioned, the old Infinities are robust in the field.

The red CMG Infinities probably haven't been made for two years now but amazingly, they are still listed for sale at a retail level for $17 from the page below:

http://www.ndsproducts.com/cmgequipment.html

I emailed them about the listing for the blue/green model a few weeks ago and they responded very promptly and said it was in stock. It was delivered last week. :D I have not seen these lights offered for some time now. Out of date web pages, yes. Actual CMG Infinities, not since Battery Station ran out.

Peter Gransee recently wrote that the old ARC company only sold about two AAAs per month with red LEDs when they were offered at retail so it is very doubtful that they will ever be offered in Rev4. The only exception would probably be a special order (250 minimim) where the extras would be offered retail.

KVegasPhlash

Newly Enlightened
Looks like you can still order the Peak Matterhorn with a red LED, so no conversion or filter needed.

A potential advantage to the keychain body vs the lug style is that the tail of the keychain can be unscrewed, allowing the light to stand on end and be used for area illumination. This may not be an issue for your use with a red LED, though, and the lug style may perform better in field conditions. Of course, bodies are only $5 each, so you could get a light with one and get a "spare" body of the other style, and see which you like better.

The Gerber Infinity Ultra I just got new is a semi-lug style. The switch is a tail cap twistie, and the lug portion has enough of a flat surface to stand on end. It's thicker than the Matterhorn - 0.77" vs 0.53" - and heavier, but should otherwise be OK for lanyard carry. However, not sure if you can order with red LED.

All in all, it seems like the Matterhorn might be the best bet.

Hope school is fun ;-)

dca2

Enlightened
Jumpmaster said:
What school, btw?

WLC-(aka PLDC) I think we are the #10 class with the new format in LA. Supposedly no classroom, all field, kicking in doors and building sweeps. Not your ordinary 2 weeks when you are in an Army Band. But then neither was Katrina for 6 months on patrol!

cratz2 said:
I did have a 3 LED Peak AAA light which was very nice. Had the recessed LEDs so it was more long the lines of a 'wide spot with limited spillbeam'

According to Peak website:
3LED Snow
Battery Life: Hi-Power: 3 hours 50% 12 hours total

1LED Snow
Battery Life: Hi-Power: 8 hours 50% 12 hours total

For the bathroom run, map reading, and other nightime tasks, does either of these stand out as a better choice? i.e. the 1 led has 2.66 longer run time. Does the 3 led version warrant the lower run time? (I realize that the red leds will use less juice, so run times should be better than the snows)

randyo

Enlightened
I have an older ARC-AAA red, a Peak Hi-Power red (not Ultra-power), and a Peak 3-Led oltra-power red.

The ARC AAA single LED has just enough light to be useful at very close range. The Peak single led high-power is ANEMIC - barely useful for looking at your watch. The Peak 3 led Ultra-power is very bright, and provides enough light to navigate around - but you sacrifice run time.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I recently bought two CMG IU in white and one non-ultra in red from that Eppes Corner special link. I'm sure the Ultras are gone but I don't know if they have the regulars in different colors available still. It would be worth a look.
The non-ultra red is pretty dim, but I think it would be appropriate brightness for covert use. Very wide flood though, maybe too wide?
I also bought the Gerber IU in white so I can only comment on the ergonomics. It's probably 6 of one, half-dozen of another after some practice, but I think at first you'd find the CMG or the Peak easier to operate. The Gerber can fake a momentary switch though which could certainly be handy. I don't think the Gerber's have as good a reputation for hard use though, but the other common complaint of being significantly dimmer I didn't have with mine.
I have a single LED Peak Matterhorn in transit right now. Snow-white LED though so again I'll only be able to talk ergonomics once it arrives. I did order with both lug body and pocket body, but not keychain because I felt it might be less rugged even though it could have served both purposes. You can also order a variety of heads.
Since they are new production and easily obtainable with lots of accessory options I'd go with Peak. You'd have so many choices to cover your needs.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most "red" lights will seem dim since they are in a part of the visible spectrum that the human eye doesn't use very effeciently. The cut-off for EDIT: rod sensitivity is 640nm but most lights sold for the preservation of dark adaptation are in the 625-630nm range and they are still hard to see with. There are two reasons to favor the dimmer "red" lights for preserving dark adaptation.

First, since most are actually orange/red in the previously mentioned 625-630nm range, they will still have a negative impact on your rod sensitivity and thus affect your dark adaptation. Under those circumstances dimmer is better. Secondly, the brighter your reddish light is the brighter will be the afterimage burned into your cones after you shut it off. Even if the wavelength of the light is longer than 640nm this afterimage in your cones may still easily overpower your totally dark adapted rods. If the wavelength is shorter than 640nm and the light is brighter than necessary your dark adaptation will take a double hit in the form of an afterimage in your cones overpowering somewhat desensitized rods!

Orange/red or true red lights should be no brighter than they absolutely need to be to accomplish the task at hand if dark adapted vision is to be preserved.

Last edited:

Shirley

Newly Enlightened
Dave,

We need to start a movement to convince Inova to make the X1 in red. I just got a red-modded X1 in tonight (thanks, Christopher!). I'm hoping it will meet most of my needs for LDAC this summer.

Can't tell you how frantic I was when my Aviator came off my lanyard during last Nov's FTX!

John

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my red pal-lights. They are cheap and you can get some for your new friends. The lens focuses the beam enough so you can see where you're going. It has hi and low modes, also.

grillmasterp

Newly Enlightened
dca2 said:
According to Peak website:
3LED Snow
Battery Life: Hi-Power: 3 hours 50% 12 hours total

1LED Snow
Battery Life: Hi-Power: 8 hours 50% 12 hours total

For the bathroom run, map reading, and other nightime tasks, does either of these stand out as a better choice? i.e. the 1 led has 2.66 longer run time. Does the 3 led version warrant the lower run time? (I realize that the red leds will use less juice, so run times should be better than the snows)

If you want longer run time- You can order Standard output instead of Hi-Power- Just call them up.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... personally, if I wanted an AAA red light specifically for reading maps, I'd pretty much be set on the 3 LED standard power Peak.

dca2

Enlightened
In the interest of posting an enlightning post, I will take the standard CPF approach and order several to try out. I just received the Gerber Infinity with red LED. Too big to wear on dog tags, but an acceptable ammount of red light for navigating in near darkness.

I will order a Peak Matterhorn (still undecided as to 1 LED or 3) after payday
I have contacted Arc to see if a red LED version is available.
I am also toying with possibly modding a CMG sonic -- I found a local store with 6 on the shelf. Yes, the original CMG's-- with a red LED (note to self: find a Red LED) Suggestionsfor a source? or possibly a Dorcy AAA with the 2 tailcap mod.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and any more that may come.

Dave A.

p.s. I still have not ruled out photon-types but that is no fun--doesn't cost enough! Wife has to have some justification for a new purse.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
dca2 said:
In the interest of posting an enlightning post, I will take the standard CPF approach and order several to try out.
Excellent!
dca2 said:
I found a local store with 6 on the shelf. Yes, the original CMG's-- with a red LED (note to self: find a Red LED) Suggestionsfor a source?
As long as its just a small project Radio Shack always has some red LEDs that would be less hassle then ordering online, shipping, etc.

Good luck!

dca2

Enlightened
Sub_Umbra said:
As long as its just a small project Radio Shack always has some red LEDs that would be less hassle then ordering online, shipping, etc.
New to modding, will be first attempt, as far as RS LED's, they have several 5mm Reds. Is there anything to avoid/look for?

dca2 said:
I am also toying with possibly modding a CMG sonic -- I found a local store with 6 on the shelf. Yes, the original CMG's-- with a red LED (note to self: find a Red LED)

Clarification: the original CMG's have white led, I will have to mod.