Rechargeables for Striker VG

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so this light takes AA's, CR123's....what about rechargeables? Cant find much information on this. Without changing the light or the LED lamp, would 2x R123's (protected Li-Ion's) damage this light? On the other hand would the 1x 17670 (1600mAh) produce the same light output and what would be the run time?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:)
:grin2:.... HI cernobila ,

I see no one has answered your question at ALL......so I will .

I just recently got one of the NEW Striker VG's with the new/improved switch with constant momentary feature.

All I'm about to tell you concerns IT - I have no experience with the older models b-4 the switch change.

CPF'er "AW" is now selling what appears to be a slightly smaller diameter PROTECTED 17670 which NOW has a protruding button on the positive end for better contact and eliminates the temptation to put a tiny earth magnet on the + end .(which can be a bad idea) He has also had the protruding + end button added to other Li-Ion batteries he offers. Maybe even more in the future ?

I got one of "AW's"* NEW * PROTECTED 17670's with the protruding + button..and IT WORKS GREAT.

Using his PROTECTED 17670 - I got a run time of 2 hours of good brightness / and 15 min. after that of usable light as it started getting dimmer. The PROTECTED battery did not shut down but I turned it off. I don't know how much longer it may have run - I don't like to strain protected batteries into low volt shut-off mode. I was happy with the 2 hours I had gotten on HI .

Per the paperwork included in the box of the new Striker VG -it has a Lifetime Warrantee / and it says it is - "suitable for operation with 3.6v rechargeable lithium batteries". ( that's exactly how it is printed on the paper) For that reason , I decided to try 1 runtime test using "AW's" rechargeable Li-Ion PROTECTED-ICR123's (750mAh)(used two of them) .

I was disappointed when I got only a 35 min. run time with the fully charged ICR123's. One of the protected 123's reached it's low-voltage protected shut-off point which turned the light off. Don't know if this was due to a batt. problem or what. It was only the second charge cycle on them. Some people say they run longer after they have been cycled several times. 35 minutes may be normal for ICR123's- I don't really know. (However - it was also only the second cycle on the 17670 and it provided 2 hours) I will try another run test later using the ICR123's and see what happens.

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION -

I suggest using the PROTECTED 17670 (from "AW') - that's what I'm using and I'm happy with it. I perceived no difference in brightness between the 17670 and the (2)-ICR123's - Just WAY different run times. (and using 1 cell rather than 2 is always safer with Li-Ion batteries in a series circuit)

By the way...... PROTECTED and/or UN-PROTECTED 18650'S (that I have) are too FAT and won't go into the Striker that I have.

Hope this helps ya .:)

..:grin2:

cernobila said:
OK, so this light takes AA's, CR123's....what about rechargeables? Cant find much information on this. Without changing the light or the LED lamp, would 2x R123's (protected Li-Ion's) damage this light? On the other hand would the 1x 17670 (1600mAh) produce the same light output and what would be the run time?

Last edited: