The Unit vs 24

pathalogical

Enlightened
Which do you prefer ?

I caught a couple of episodes of The Unit and I think it's very good. Since Prez Palmer was on 24, I was wondering if anyone else is following this new show. I actually prefer it over 24. There should be more action scenes and less housewives-at-home scenes. This show has the potential for many flashlight scenes. Last night, there was a very cool night vision scene.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's so military/soap opera. You could watch this show with your GF/W. Especially para-military types. The show is too fractured to really have a story.

Try watching re-runs of 'Third Watch' to check out what your favorite new actors used to do.

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
24 is almost perfect maybe one of the all time greatest tv shows ever except when they got that Captain who was the head of the "Coral Snakes" in Season 2 who said he was a CPT in the Delta Force, 3rd Marine Division. I know its fiction but I like to have as much realism as possible.

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
"24" isnt really that realistic. Example: They have the bad guy surrounded... *episode ends* (producers think: crap cant kill him now theres still 6 epiodes left) *next episode* Oh man someone there was an elusive escape similar to how James Bond always escapes, he used his super secret invisibily mode to disapear. Thats what "24" really is.

...I can feel the hatred of people for this post all ready...

"The Unit" is "Wanted" meets "Desperate Housewives"

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched the Unit for the first time last night. It was OK. They probably have an advisor that really was a 'spec ops' guy; while overly dramatized, they capture a lot of the nuances that were reality amongst the 'beanie' wearing community, at least back in my day. Even the wives are not that far off from real life SF type wives I was acquainted with.

Just started watching 24 this season. It is a pretty good show. The political power plays amongst the buearucrats is pretty close to reality, but a LOT of stuff in it is pretty unrealistic. Overall the show quite gripping though, one of the few non-news shows that I try to watch regularly.

One question: Is the guy who rescued the missionaries in the Unit last night the same actor that played President Palmer in 24? I think he is also in a current TV commercial for some insurance company too.....
--------------------------------------------
edit
Hmm, re-reading the first post, I guess that he is... at least thats the way it translates to me ;)

Last edited:

EV_007

Enlightened
[font=&quot]
Yes, President Palmer is played by the same actor as The Unit as well as in the Allstate commercials. Kind of funny when you watch him in one show and then see him in the next commercial break. Must have a heck of an agent. He was also in the movie Jarhead. And that's the plan Stan.
[/font]

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
I got about 12 hours/episodes into the first season of "24" and couldn't go on any more. It just seemed more and more ridiculous to me. It had its good points, but not enough to prevail.

So far "The Unit" is okay. Some parts are very entertaining, but they always end it on a goofy note. I actually really enjoyed the wife going off on the Senator. It has been a little "soapy" though, especially the affair between the wife and the Colonel. The jury of me is still out on this one, since the Fonze hasn't reached the ramp yet.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
The military advisor for the Unit is CSM Eric Haney, who I think was an original member of Delta Force. At any rate, he was the advisor for the movie Spartan, which was also with David Mamet. They hooked up again to produce this show. I think it's OK, even fun entertainment! Ya gotta remember this is network TV, so you can only expect so much realism, right? I tune out the wife drama a lot.

I'm one of those people that's never seen 24, I guess I gotta rent or buy the first four seasons sometime, eh?

daloosh

pathalogical

Enlightened
I wrote this thread rather quickly last night and also thought of Desparate Housewifes, but couldn't think of a way of adding it in. To me, 24 has become predictable..."Chloe, email the building blueprints to my cell phone" or "I need those files sent to my PDA"..."But Jack, those are highly encrypted files, it will take six hours to de-crypt"...30 secs later..."OK Jack, you should be getting those files now". It seems they are doing the impossible with all this technology. As for The Unit, maybe it's to soon to tell how good it will be. I think it's only two or three episodes old. Only time (and ratings) will tell. On another note, finally a new episode of Lost. I kinda like it, it's a cross between Survivor and Gilligan's Island.

cbxer55

Enlightened
Don't you jst get f===in sick of all the bloody reruns, no matter what show you are watching. Makes me wanna puke!:toilet:

Last edited:

guncollector

Enlightened
daloosh said:
The military advisor for the Unit is CSM Eric Haney, who I think was an original member of Delta Force. At any rate, he was the advisor for the movie Spartan, which was also with David Mamet.
daloosh

Writer, David Mamet, is a super details freak. So, like in the movie Spartan, many of the hardware details will be somewhat more accurate--with the help of Mr. Haney (a SFOD-Delta plankowner).

Also, the show is co-written by Shawn Ryan, of "The Shield".

Keeping in mind this is Primetime Network TV, I think overall its a pretty good dose of mindless television.

Here are some promo pics & captures I grabbed from episode 1 & 3:

cbs promo pics
the_unit-cast.gif

the_unit-field.gif

episode 1
hush puppy
unit_ep1_hushpuppy1.gif

laser designator
unit_ep1_laser-designator.gif

haho jump
unit_ep1_halo.gif

episode 3
nvg
unit_nvg1.jpg

unit_nvg2.jpg

shoothouse
unit_stacked.jpg

unit_shoothouse.jpg

jonas's mp-5 or hk-53?
unit_jonas-hk.jpg

Makarov

Enlightened
I've only watched the first episode of "The Unit", but I tuned out when they used a laserdesignator to light up a target for a couple of seconds, and then immediately disassembeled it. The rocket still found it's target like it was lit :huh2:

I've never been into "24" either, all that running around with the finger on the trigger(especially in the first series).

pathalogical

Enlightened
Guncollector, nice pics. Something else I noticed while watching the show. The Colonel looked familiar, but couldn't pin point it. He's the guy from Terminator 2, the T-1000 liquid cop. He looked familiar but I wasn't sure. A quick check on www.imdb.com confirmed my suspicion.

The only Rerun I liked was on "What's Happening !!"