Flashaholic
Took a few more beamshots today,
Each set has the same camera settings.

shots1.jpg

shots2.jpg

~John

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
What optics are you running in the stenlight for those shots... 15+20?

Curtis

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great work!!!!! I like that you included a PR. It stands against the KL3 pretty good for throw. Do you think you could do another with a longer distance outdoor shot to see how each one's beams diverge? That might seperate them from eachother when it comes to throw...

roguesw

Enlightened
Thanks so much for doing these beamshots
i have a Pr-T and was wondering how the U2 and KL5 stack up to it
i often found walking outside, the Pr-T hotspot is too defined and the sidespill is not that great, i want a similar hotspot but more sidespill, hence i am debating a U2 or a KL5 but the price is defintely a big factor.
Thanks again for all your work
best regards
Des

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great beamshots!

The U2 is just as good on beamshots as it is in my hands ;)

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks for the comments guys.

I will try to get some outside shots, but the weather has been cold and snowy here :(

roguesw,
I have always loved the PR and PR-T beams,
very tight spot, with very wide flood. The flood is actually wider than the U2 and KL5,
but not near as bright as the U2/KL5 spill is.
The Hotspots of the U2/KL5 are also larger, and fade out into the spill,
rather than the PR/PR-T spot sharp trassision to spill.
You will loose some throw, but I think you would like the U2/KL5 for walking at night, they blast the entire area with light.

~John

Longbow

Enlightened
jitce, nice work. Thanks. Have you tried a F70 or FM64 on your KL3 yet? They make an impressive flood light out of the KL3!

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Jtice,

Great beamshots, thanks for posting them! What is your general impression of the KL5 vs. U2 beams? Looks like the U2 might have a slightly brighter hotspot but it's hard to tell given the slightly different color temp.

KDOG3, I just bought my second L5 for $154 from an ebay dealer. It is really a great light, particularly down around that price (I also love the L4). I think the L5/C2/M2 body is my favorite in the Surefire line. It is incredibly solid.

cfb

Protaeus

Enlightened
I'm dissapointed.... where are the fish? I want my fish!! :D:D:D

I'm a big fan of beam shots, absolutely love them!

Great work jtice!

...even though there were no fish :)

jtice

Flashaholic
Longbow,
No, I dont have a beam shaper for it yet, I may get one some time though.
I just dont like the look, or large profile of them, dont know if I would use it much due to that.

lotsalumens,
I THINK my L5 is actually slightly brighter then my U2, but that may be color temp playing tricks on me.
I really think its gonna depend more on the luxeon lotto, and if you have a doughnut hole or not.
My U2 has a slight hole, the L5 is alittle better, but thats after I sent it to SF to be replaced, first one was real bad.
I was told the reflectors are NOT the same, even though they look very similar.

So far the L5/C2/M2 bodies are my favorite also :)
Though I have had my eye on a Z2 bod... :p

Protaeus,
Fish? ..... :thinking: I am afraid I just dont know what the hell you are talking about. LOL

~John

JanCPF

Enlightened
jtice,

Very nice and extremely useful beamshots. I still love my L5 and from the shots you took, I think it's quite obvious why. Nothing beats the L5/U2 beamprofile in the walk-the-woods-at-night-light department IMHO.

I'm also really surprised at how hot the hot spot on that Streamlight 4AA is. I know you have several dusins :devil: of this light (you always manage to pick'em up from BST before everyone else :grin2: ). Would you say this SL is average or is this an over performer? Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Jan

jtice

Flashaholic
Id say that one is average.
Some have less of a corona than others, and throw slightly more.
Some have a bit of a corona, before the spill.

I have 3 SL 4AAs, 2 are about the same, 1 has the corona.
You cant tell much in short distance, but over about 120 feet you can see one throw slightly more.
The light meter can tell also :p

~John