What's The Big Deal With Skulls?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off let me say if you like skulls that's fine and you have the right to like anything you want. That said, what's up with the big proliferation of skulls in the last few years? I see skull lanyards and skull stuff everywhere even here on CPF.

Back when I was a teenager growing up in Southern California in the 60's, skulls were everywhere. I was into bikes, (still am), back then and my oldest brother even built custom choppers. His most requested paint jobs or metal fabricating either involved skulls or iron crosses or Nazi stuff. I hated that crap then and still do.

They disappeared into obscurity by the late '70's and I was glad to see all that crap go. I see now where skulls are back in vogue with a vengeance, not to mention iron crosses and tatoos.

I'm just curious to why skulls have made such a comeback in the last 2 or 3 years? I even see where so called "Christians" love and request them. Is it because of all these goofy, SCRIPTED chopper or reality shows that are so popular now?

I understand where we all want to "be cool" but I wouldn't want an ugly skull design anywhere near me. I guess what goes around comes around.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beats me what the skull craze is all about. All over boards like this guys are selling knobs, buttons, etc. Personally, the only guys I ever actually see wearing these things usually are 130 pound goth guys with manpurses and stockings.

drizzle

Enlightened
greenLED said:
I don't get why Christians should avoid skulls. Please enlighten me.
Skulls have long been associated with evil; whether it's piracy, headhunting, cults, etc. I think that's what he was getting at. I also think that's part of what draws people to them.

Personally, they are not to my taste but I have no problem with others liking and displaying them.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
skullbones.jpg

It's a conspiracy!
naughty.gif

skull.gif
tongue.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like skulls. They are quite useful.

They keep most people's brains from leaking out of their heads.

In my case, it keeps the vaccum from sucking in the top half of my head.

Somewhere, I have a couple of small skulls carved from quartz crystal. Nothing like this one though: Mitchell - Hedges Skull
I got to see the real thing about 25 years ago. The craftsmanship on it was INCREDIBLE, whether you put any creedence in the legends and myths about it or not.

Sturluson

Enlightened
Skulls are present in much medieval Christian iconography. They are "memento mori" - a reminder of death, and the fact that earthly life will end. They were used in other cultures, too, including Mesoamerica (Mayans, Aztecs) and Asia (Tibetan and Nepalese Buddhism).

In 19th century Europe, skulls, with and without crossbones, were used by military units, including the British 17th Lancers and various German regiments. Before and during WWII, the Schutzstaffel (SS) used skulls as cap insignia and the 3rd Waffen-SS Division Totenkopf (Deathshead) used skull-and-crossbones as collar insignia.

The present craze is mostly an "I'm cool too" sort of thing, like most fads: 5% leaders, 95% followers. Most people couldn't tell you why they use them, except "they're cool". Symbolism without meaning.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
drizzle said:
Skulls have long been associated with evil; whether it's piracy, headhunting, cults, etc. I think that's what he was getting at. I also think that's part of what draws people to them.

Personally, they are not to my taste but I have no problem with others liking and displaying them.

That depends on the culture. In Mexico they are part of the good things, so much so that the skull and crossbones warning labels on poisons has essentially gone away here. To a small Mexican kid Skull and crossbones mean candy and celebration.

Sturluson

Enlightened
No, they're not associated with evil in Mexico, but with death, much like the old "memento mori". Is it All Hallows Eve when they have the celebrations and feasts for the dead in Mexico? Lots of skulls and crossbones then. And in Germany there's Totensonntag - the Sunday of the dead.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sturluson said:
The present craze is mostly an "I'm cool too" sort of thing, like most fads: 5% leaders, 95% followers. Most people couldn't tell you why they use them, except "they're cool". Symbolism without meaning.

I have had skulls in my environs for decades.:shrug:

I don't take to fads and don't like to follow.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Beamhead seems to have a "thing" for them. (Maybe he's trying to start his own freekin' "cult!" :crackup: :nana:

Larry

Last edited:

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
Skull images are reminders of our mortality. Death scares some people, for others it is simply a transition. If it is scary, then it must be evil seems to be the rationale. I can't think of anything in Christianity that says skulls are "evil," and in a lot of old Catholic churchs they are religious relics. If one believes that God created humans in his (or for some, her) image, then how can a skull be evil? If a good Christian believes they have been saved, and are going to heaven, why should they fear death?

I've handled several skulls and other human bones while studying anthropology and archeology and never felt creeped out. I often wondered who had lived in and around that skull, what they had seen, where they had lived but I never felt weird about it. Other people in my classes would not touch them, and some would leave the room, including a Teaching Assistant.

On my desk I have a toy skeleton, two goofy papercraft Halloween decorations, and two cast stainless steel skull magnets (one with and one without mandible) from Raven Armoury. I guess I am hip.:sssh:

greenLED

Flashaholic
tvodrd said:
Beamhead seems to have a "thing" for them. (Maybe he's trying to start his own freekin' "cult!" :crackup: :nana:

Larry
You're late for the initiation, Larry. *I* have already been branded by our skull-leader.

hmmm.... Beamster= Lord Voldemort? :crackup:
(in the Harry Potter books Voldy's followers are marked with a skull - aka Death Mark)

Last edited: