My U2 just conked out!!!

LEDMaster2003

Newly Enlightened
When I left class tonight, I went to turn on my U2 and...
... nothing. I checked the batteries. OK. Switch, OK. I got home and tested the batteries. Both registered 3.05 volts. Tried adjusting the springs. Zip.

I might have to call SF tomorrow...

LEDMaster2003

Newly Enlightened
I swapped batts with my A2. Nothing. Could it be because I removed the pocket clip yesterday? Also nothing rattles when I shake it.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yikes, all these problems with the U2 really scare me. I hate to say it, but I think the U2 just *may* be a little too complex and that Surefire might consider redesigning the light......

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I've recently posted in other threads about the issue of designing lights for the end user and how the light then needs to be tested in pre-release form to iron out problems before the customer buys it. Nothing is more damaging for a company's reputation then a product which fails or which gains a reputation for failing.

The U2 is (on CPFat least) gaining a undesirable reputation for being unreliable.

IMHO Surefire has to sort this problem out if it wants to be seen as a company which produces high end, high tech products, which are reliable? Whilst I'm sure the DARPA lights have undergone reliability trials it is less obvious to me if the same has applied to the U2.

Problems with doughnut holes, beam tints and faulty switches are serious issues in a light as expensive as the U2. If it was only one or two examples that were quoted then it could be put down to poor QC or bad luck. However, if the numbers of complaints about the U2 which are shown on CPF are a representative reflection of U2's in circulation then it is a big problem.

I am a Surefire fan and I have often thought about getting a U2 to keep my Gladius company. However, until I see an improvement in a reduced number of complaints coming through about reliability then I'm staying clear of the U2!

Doug

lightmeup81

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to here that I had a similar experiance with mine so it's in for repair right now, if your impatient like me and get it there in 1 day so the three weeks of waiting can begin, and wan't to cover it with insurance I spent $50 through ups too bad surefire doesn't cover the cost of having to return the things "i could have waited a lil longer then" but since i payed i opted out of my own wallet $50 anyways though i'll let ya guys know how mine turns out when i recieve it back.

P.S i think greenled also had to send his U2 in recently too for some kind of work.

L8r

greenLED

Flashaholic
LEDMaster2003 said:
Could it be because I removed the pocket clip yesterday?
Could very well be. If you reinstalled the plastic retaining ring, try seating it more firmly. What can happen is, as with the A2, is the clip's retaining ring is not low enough onto the body and that prevents the tailcap from making contact with the top of the tube. Re-seat the ring and also try raising the small metal tabs inside the switch.

Luna

Enlightened
greenLED said:
Could very well be. If you reinstalled the plastic retaining ring, try seating it more firmly. What can happen is, as with the A2, is the clip's retaining ring is not low enough onto the body and that prevents the tailcap from making contact with the top of the tube. Re-seat the ring and also try raising the small metal tabs inside the switch.

I wouldn't listen to this advice, he only had 6,876 posts under his belt :)

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I supect they ship back replacemnet units by your RMA number not when it arrived. If so call and get your RMA number now before you buy the light :D

They have had my U2 for 6 weeks now. I wish I had never bought it!

lightmeup81

Newly Enlightened
cave_dave

6 weeks? ahhh man that sucks i hope there right about the time they scheduled mine for. 3 weeks. sorry to here that

greenLED

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear that, cave; I got mine back after 3 weeks.
Luna, thanks, but I'm far from being anywhere as experienced as other people here.

Luna

Enlightened
greenLED said:
Luna, thanks, but I'm far from being anywhere as experienced as other people here.

Take your Kudos, your answer was right on Im betting (or spring in the head needs a little finangling)