Aurora / River Rock 1.5 Watt 'Nichia Jupiter' - C Cell vs CR123

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
I bought the 2C version from Target while on my Vegas trip (no Target stores in Hawaii!), and the Nichia took a little getting used to... I like the output and color from the Lumiled LEDs better. The spot beam was a bit annoying, so I pulled out the old lens and replaced the stock reflector (black) with a mirrored one. Glued a glass lens in place, and I now have a super flood light that is great for lighting up the room from the doorway! The reflector/lens replacement job was done in a hurry, so pardon the rough-around-the-edges look of it all... below, I have compared beamshots to an unmodified Fenix L1 Premium, no flash used in either pic. As you can see, a real room lighter w/o the magnifying lens!

s2r1qp.jpg

s2r1uc.jpg

s2r1uv.jpg

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Aurora 1.5W Nichia Jupiter (review here: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107015 , pics sometimes work, sometimes don't, dunno why). It has good build and mfr'ing quality and a nice color finish, but I don't find it all that useful due to the spot beam. It's a fun light to have, but if it were going to be your only light or one you use often, there are better choices IMO that offer more useful beams.

flashlife

Enlightened
Inferno,
"The spot beam was a bit annoying, so I pulled out the old lens and replaced the stock reflector (black) with a mirrored one. Glued a glass lens in place, and I now have a super flood light that is great for lighting up the room from the doorway!"

Inferno,
How did you do the mod? Does the bexel simply unscrew, and the lens, etc dump out? Also, where did you get the reflector?...from another light, or did you buy it?

I've been thinking of getting the 2AA or 2C, but have been put off by the spot beam.

WNG

Enlightened
Search for threads on the River Rock 2AA for sale at Target. There you'll find instructions on disassembly. The head is not threaded on, but compression fitted.

I have both the 2AA and the 2C....both purchased during the Target sale.
Great prices for these unique lights. The moonbeam lacks brightness for true distance effectiveness, but works fine within 3 meters when spill is not desired. This came in handy when I used it to light up the aisle of a theater after the movie had started...didn't disrupt anyone.
The longer runtime of the 2C makes it my choice, plus as shown above, makes a nice mod candidate. I'd like to open one up one day and drop a 3W Luxeon in there, and tweak the DC-DC converter board.

The 2C and the 1 CR123a appears to use the same head and body diameter.
Only the 2C being longing for the 2 C batteries. For such a barrel diameter, I prefer the 2C, since it's already bulky in size.
But if I am incorrect, and they don't share the same diameter, then the CR123a is preferred.
I know there is also a 3AAA in a battery carrier version of this light as well.
Maybe that one shares dimensions with the CR123a model.

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
My 2C came with a head that was screwed on, but I had to use a torch to loosen up the Loc-Tite. It didn't ruin the finish, and boiling it wasn't enough heat to get the head off. After heating it a few seconds with a propane torch, the head screwed off, but the lens remained in place, held in by two pieces pressed together as WNG mentioned. I simply heated up the lens itself, then used needle nose pliers to pull it out like a piece of gum. The reflector I glued in its place was from a Dorcy Metal Gear or Brinkmann 1 Watt head lamp (I forgot which) and I just glued the lens in place from the same light the reflector came from. I thought about converting it to a Lux. I, but she's doing fine as a flood light for the moment...