easy-to-operate Flashlight switch?

Kristofg

Enlightened
My grandmother asked me if I could get her a flashlight to find her way around the house in the dark without waking up my grandfather. No problem I thought, I'll just pick something out of my collection. But then it stuck me that almost all flashlights are unusable for her for either one of the following reasons:
- it must be not too small in order to be able to find it in the dark. (no keychain models)
- it must have a light color in order to see it (not black)
- it must be light enough to carry in one hand (no D-cell maglite)
- the switching mechanism must be easy to operate with one hand (which means no twisting mechanism)
- it must keep on or off with one push of the button (she can't keep the button depressed for long times and sliding button hurts her fingers)
- only on and off (no high-low-flashing or other mode)
- the switch must react to a low amount of pressure (most flashlights have a pretty sturdy switch in order to prevent accidental activation)
- it must be not too bright
- long battery lifetime (led flashlight would be preferable)

Any suggestions?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
A 2 C cell Mag with a led dropin might do the trick. Available in many colors.

Another nice trick is a minimag with a kroll switch. The light can be held in your fist while a downward motion against a table turns it on/off.

Daniel

atm

Enlightened
As I read your post, one light came to mind as possibly being ideal. A miniMag (you could get one in an appropriate colour) with a TerraLUX drop in LED and the TerraLUX tail cap switch.

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/terralux_led_maglight_bulbs.htm

I have just put these in an old miniMag and it's a really good upgrade. Good output without being blinding at night, very simple and easy to use (nice switch with easy, positive action), and good long regulated runtime. These really are dropins too, there's 0 difficulty factor in setting it up.

The MM is a nice size too.

Andrew

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Streamlight PP 4AA Luxeon will be a good flashlight for her. It meets all your requirements and it's available in yellow color, which is clearly visible.

And if this flashlight is too bright (it is rated around 40 lumens), there is also a 7 LED (7 LEDs of 5mm) version available.

Last edited:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Pelican StealthLite has an easy to operate flip switch on the side. I've used it with heavy neoprene mittens during winter dives so it should be ok. It is a 4AA heavy-duty plastic light and it has a lifetime "you break it we fix it warranty". It is available in bright yellow and is also available in glow-in-dark yellow.

It is $23-25 at Batterystation.com (glow-in-the-dark is $25). It is pretty bright, very tough and the thumb switch is easy to use...

Sverre

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it's difficult for flashaholics to comprehend "too bright" but 15 lumens is probably enough, especially if that's with a 35 hour runtime on 2AAs. Ten dollars: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/108856& plus you can try clicky PR-bulb 2AA grocery store lights until you find one that works easily enough.

I put mine in Duracell Voyagers, which are entirely rubber with a clicky switch. The shape is like a Michael Graves design or those ergonomic kitchen tools. Select one with a light clicky, because some are heavier than others--and if it's still too hard you can break loose the rubber seal around the pushbutton so it's really easy at the expense of losing water resistance.

frisco

Enlightened
Hey Kristo,

I commend you on how well thought out your concerns are. I have had some experience in dealing with Seniors. I don't have the end all Grandparent flashlight suggestion for you.... But I do have a couple of more "feature" suggestions for you.

- A broad beam would be best for them. A pointy beam has less depth in the dark and there eyes may naturally go to the point. A broad beam will also give a person a better sense of balance as they can see more stationary landmarks and may be better for there equilibrium.

- A neck carry lanyard may be a good feature so they can have both hands available at a moments notice and they won't put in down some place, than not be able to find it. (happens to me all the time!)

Maybe it's as simple as a AA Mini Mag with a NiteIze LED drop in, loaded with lithiums. Maybe have her try out a Mini Mag with and without the NiteIze clicky tailcap. Or the TerraLux solution somebody else mentioned.

frisco

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree! That was the first light that came to my mind when I saw the low pressure switch requirement. The Streamlight 4AA PP is available in Xenon, 7LED, or Luxeon models. Insofar as the too bright requirement, all three models could be pretty bright within a house. One caveat though, do not get tempted with the 3C PP (in any form), that switch is pretty stiff and may cause problems for a person of advanced years if they are arthritic.

Erasmus said:
I think the Streamlight PP 4AA Luxeon will be a good flashlight for her. It meets all your requirements and it's available in yellow color, which is clearly visible.

And if this flashlight is too bright (it is rated around 40 lumens), there is also a 7 LED (7 LEDs of 5mm) version available.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The little Eternalight Derringer might be one to consider. The switch is very easy to operate. Easy push for a quick blink. Hold for a second and it stays on. Push and hold and it goes out. It has the additional modes to lower the output, activate the red LED, and flash, but she could ignore them. In the first "on" mode it will turn itself off after a few minutes. It's very light weight and easy to grip with your thumb naturally hitting the switch. Takes 3 AAAs for a long life and easy change through battery door. Minuses are brightness (only 2 white LEDs), not waterproof, and it might not take a long drop to a hard floor. I think you can find them for around $25.

Geoff

WNG

Enlightened
May I venture to recommend the River Rock 1.5W 2C?

Meets most of your criteria.
Not too thin or thick for old possibly arthritic hands to hold.
A green anodized finish...distinctive and easy to spot.
bright enough for most applications, yet focused to not disturb Grandpa.
Less spill, won't dilate her pupils each time.
Long runtime in case of emergencies...9.5 hrs.
Good throw for outdoor uses.
Easy button operation. [unlike the 2AA version]
Rugged.
Cheap [especially when it sold for $12.88], even comes with batteries.
Available at any Target store, in case a return or problem arises.
No mods necessary, ready straight out of the box.

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking along the lines of a Princeton Tec Impact II. I know you want a push button (one hand operation) but honestly I gave my grandmother an older impact and she actually liked it a lot as she could twist the big head even with her arthritis and she loved that dropping the light wouldn't damage it.

Also, buy them a good plastic whistle and connect it to the light with a lanyard.

Galiphrey

Enlightened
This Streamlight 3AA luxeon might fit the bill... big, light-weight, shiny-silver, easy and simple switch.... not regulated though, but probably has decent battery life..

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
In reading your post slowly and digesting all the points it sounds like you are describing a standard 2C maglight.

- easy switch for her to use
- not a twisty
- not too bright (that's for sure)
- only on-off
- you can get a light bright color
- long run time
- if you want a LED you can add a simple drop-in.

Or a mini-mag w/a clickie tailcap.

Cliff

Fletch

Newly Enlightened
I'll throw in my two cents... My grandmother (90 years old, god bless her) uses a Gelb Oval . She has arthritis and can operate the switch just fine.

It seems to meet all of your criteria except ON-OFF only. The switching on the Oval is a little different. You push the button once to turn on the front light, then again to turn on both of the lights, then again to turn on only the down light, then again to go off. Its easier than it sounds though.

oval-withhand.jpg

Worth a look.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
An MDXL 3 watt with easy to use side clickie and then paint it white. I bought a few of them to give to my sister and nephews for their rooms and they work well for it. It throws plenty of light too. They are $15 shipped. The only thing is you would want to change the batteries for her as the carrier is tight. It has a rough texture which would be easy for her to hold onto also.

http://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/ledp/LP1011.htm

PICT0079.JPG

dim

Enlightened
Don't discount a twistie so quickly -

Lacking strength and dexterity, my young niece has a MUCH easier time with my twistie flashlights, albeit with two hands, than those with a clickie.

While we like to imagine perfect situations, reality, as you know, doesn't always happen as planned. As much as you may envision your grandmother using a flashlight the same way that we do, one handed, if her hands have limited agility, she may have similar difficulties using a clickie one handed as she has with a slide button. And while it may not be the perfect solution, with two hands, a twistie may be easier for her to activate than a clickie.

dim

CLHC

Flashaholic
Lots of advise here.

How about the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Solid State 7-LED as some suggested? Not too terribly bright but decent enough, with a nice close to medium range flood light?

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
I think the Sam's Club Element would be a good choice. Very bright with nice flood and easy to operate switch. SInce they come two to a pack, she could keep one in two different locations.

2.99792458*10^10cm/sec

Newly Enlightened
A PALight on a lanyard sounds like a good fit, the always on "find it in the dark" is nice. It is a 4 mode 2 stage with one button, "Find me" glow - low - high - blink - back to "find me" . The blink mode is mostly a waste of a button press, I only use it to guess how used the battery is, the weaker the battery the slower the blink. Changing the 9v battery is a pain but it lasts a good long time, something like 40 hours on high, 100 hours on low, 2 years on constant glow (numbers per the manufacturer, YMMV), I mostly only need to change batteries if it gets clicked to on in my pocket or bag. They are about $20.

I don't have one of the newer "Safe-Light Super Bright" lights, I don't think they have a lanyard ring but the magnet clip thing could come in handy for some people.

http://www.safe-light.com/
review of the new "Super Bright" here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1262559#post1262559

I've never had a reason to try, but James Meyer at Palights, [email protected] is said to be very responsive to emails, there are a bunch of threads about these lights, they run specials sometimes, etc.

-David