The ORB NS

RayEarth2162

Newly Enlightened
It seems almost strange to me that there isn't that much of a discussion on the ORB Raw NS torch. When I first saw the little wonder, I was completely awed by it! How come there is so limited discussion on it?

Just a few questions for those who own the product
1. How bright is the low setting? Say, compared to Arc AAA?
2. Is the new Orb NS significant less bright than the original RAW? Should I go with the original?
3. Are there other similar/better products for pocket spotlight?

Thanks a million guys! (never knew collecting spotlights was a hobby until I found this forum)

RayEarth2162

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if this question make me sound newbie (I am!):

How come Rob doesn't use the U-bins anymore? Are they more expensive? Short supply?

colubrid

Enlightened
1. How bright is the low setting? Say, compared to Arc AAA?

Not as bright as the ARC V4. Very useful for reading and not disturbing your partner.

2. Is the new Orb NS significant less bright than the original RAW?

I would say the high setting IS significantly less bright. But what is significant to some may be minor to others.

Should I go with the original?

Of coarse. The answer is you should get both.:) If I had to a choose I would take the NS.

3. Are there other similar/better products for pocket spotlight?

Several. I like the Jil DD UP w/RCR2. It is a lot brighter and has 20 hr runtime compared to 15 MINUTES of the RAW NS. It also a lot cheaper $.

Having said all that I would still get the NS over any other light right now. It is a joy to hold and carry. Pride of ownership comes to mind. I am sure there are other who can add to its greatness.

Another fact. Whenever a new light is released you see a mass exodus pop up on the for sale section. There have only been a few of these sold on BST. Yes, only a small handful since its release... This says something about how nice this light really is. Everyone wants to hold onto theirs. That is unusual because never does a light please so many people with so many different descrimating uses and tastes.

I was one of those people who sold his Orb RAW NS. I am ordering another one next week. Nuff said.

Last edited:

SonnyD

Newly Enlightened
I can't tell you anymore about it then what you can read for yourself. I've had the order page filled out twice to buy one, but couldn't pull the trigger on the order for 100.00+ on a light I've never seen or handled in person. I'm sure they are nice though.

Regards Sonny

BobbyRS

Enlightened
2. To some the Raw NS is less bright, some others think about the same. Now if you have a U-bin RAW, then I would have to say, the NS is significantly less bright. The next batch of NS's is supposed to have a better circuit (no 1 ohm SMD resistor) to allow for DD (Direct Drive) which will allow the LED to pull between 700-750Mah. Compare that to the original RAW of 900mah. With this new circuit, it should appear brighter then the first batch. The NS's have great flood, a nice spot, and amazing craftsmanship. Pretty amazing to see this amount of light come out of something so small.

3. Another small light I really like is the FFIII. Read about it here:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109517

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89078

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=90822

Hope this helps.

photorob

Enlightened
I'm guessing there is not as much discussion as you would like to hear because most people are still waiting for this light. I'm at three months now.

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Oh dear.
There was a 2 week delay for tritium vials, now a 2 week wait for glass (due today!).
Rob very apologetic. I'm sure it's worth the wait.
BTW, the Raw fits nicely into the NiteIze headband. NS should fit even better.

gessner17

Enlightened
I have one and I love it, so small, you won't even notice it in your pocket. I would say it is as bright as my Fire Fly 2 on low and high maybe a tad bit dimmer. Size makes up for it though, how many lights are smaller than a chapstick tube.

helios

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a Raw on 3 January and received it on 8 March. My Ns went out the day after the Raw and just arrived today. As far as light output goes: the Raw on low is about on par with my Arc AAA-P, the Raw on low is significantly brighter than the Ns on low and the Raw on high just blows away the Ns on high. Mind you, my Raw is not one of the original T-binned jewels and is producing about the same light on high as my U2 on its second to highest setting.

I am very disappointed in the Ns's high setting but then again it will run for about 30 min at this lower power level (versus 15 min for the previously advertised high level). And 7 hours on low isn't too bad either. I really like the feel of the Ns over the Raw though. Its a smaller light and feels much denser due to the difference in metals. The Raw scratches far too easily and has been pressed into service as my nightstand light (gotta love that tritium). The Ns fits easily into the coin pocket on my jeans and will replace the Arc for a while as my EDC.

BobbyRS

Enlightened
helios said:
Mind you, my Raw is not one of the original T-binned jewels...

A select few at first came with U-bins. The rest I believe are T-bins. (Is that what you meant?:)

BobbyRS

Enlightened
Oh, and just to clarify.... which RAW do you have that you are comparing to the NS? The 1watt or 3watt?

helios

Newly Enlightened
Duh, yes I meant the original U bins. My Raw is a T bin and both are 3W. I'm not sure what bin the Ns is but I seem to remember T being mentioned. Either way they are both great lights and the Raw now resides on the wife's nightstand. Beware using the Ns on a keychain. I've heard at least one CPF member breaking the trit as a result. Of course, doesn't matter if you order a smoothie.

RayEarth2162

Newly Enlightened
Still trying to save up that AUD150.00 required for the torch (I must be crazy :ohgeez: ).

Any reason why Rob changed from U to T-bins? I'm very lost when it comes to these technical stuff.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re brightness on low, my lux meter says the Ns has less output than my Arc AAA-P. However visually they appear about the same. The Ns beam hotspot is narrower, so the overall effect is about equal.

Both Ns and the original Raw are great lights. I have the Ns and the original Raw on order. The tritium locator is a nice feature. I frequently use it for that feature alone.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you referring to the current Arc AAA-p (v4) or a previous version?

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
RayEarth2162 said:
Still trying to save up that AUD150.00 required for the torch (I must be crazy :ohgeez: ).

Any reason why Rob changed from U to T-bins? I'm very lost when it comes to these technical stuff.

From what I understand , U's are harder to get , more expensive and tend to have higher VF.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
xochi said:
Are you referring to the current Arc AAA-p (v4) or a previous version?
That's a good question. I got it Oct. 3, 2005. Isn't that right when they were changing versions?