best lithium led

kooter

Enlightened
Hello chaps, its my first post so please be gentle. Want to know what is the best single lithium flashlight you can get. Either cr2 or 123 or both. I like the orb raw and the hds edc basic. Want lots of power and throw. Not too bothered about runtime. My lights to date include surefire 9n turbohead, sf 6p, 9p, surefire k1l, led lenser and inova 5x. Have any of you tried G shock forum?
http://pub21.bravenet.com/forum/1725889069/
Its not just about g shocks. Flashlights, G shocks, Knives, guns. Could do with some input from a flashlight expert over there. Cheers chaps.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. I am a relative newcomer myself, but my interest is in small one cell lights so I have done some research. I will try to answer, but it depends on a lot of things. I think somewhere there is a list of questions people ask you to fill out when asking "what light should I buy" since there are many details like:
-what will you use it for?
-what switch do you like, twist, momentary, etc?
-do you want throw or flood? (you answered this one)
plus many more specifics

You asked "what is the best single lithium flashlight you can get?"
Most people will say McLux PD hands down since it is a fine piece of equipment and a good light.
The ones you mentioned are good, too. I would say look at this list:
CR123: McLux PD, HDS EDC, FireFly3, Amilite Neo T3, Litemania's T-bin HAIII Q3, the upcoming Fenix P1, and the upcoming Jet-1 CR123 version.
CR2: CR2 Ion, Orb Raw, Jil Lite Intelli.

There may be some specials/low volume I missed, but these are good bright ones with at least some throw. They vary in spec/switches, so look into them and see what you like.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, we see that you want good throw... do you care about a good spillbeam or would you rather sacrifice spillbeam for even more throw?

I think the Aleph series is among tops if will ante up for them and want a spillbeam. The Aleph III has a larger than normal head, but has incredible throw! There are other great throwing LED light as well such as the Striker VG, but the spillbeam is much less than we expect from a traditional reflector.

The next step down would be pretty much anything with a 27mm reflector. The Gladius... The Aleph I... You can even get one of the Lux III VB16/Quicksilver lights and with a minor bit of work, get an IMS27mm reflector in there which is what the Gladius has. That tends to give you a decent sized hotspot, a nice spillbeam and very respectable spill.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy! :wave:

carrot

Flashaholic
Any single celled lithium-powered LED light? How powerful do you want, and what's your budget?

Some that come to mind are the HDS EDC, Fire~Fly III, and McLuxIII-PD.

If I were you I'd take the McLuxIII-PD -- a light you can only buy here! Pricing starts at something like $210 -- take a look at the McGizmo forum.

kooter

Enlightened
Thanks for your input guys. Have already ordered an orb ns, but will be looking into the mclux. Probably would have got the hds at some time but may get the mclux instead once i compare. Cheers. paul

CLHC

Flashaholic
Those Orb Raw NS is something and I've yet to get one someday. So, way to go on that purchase Kooter. The McLux.PD is also another most "coveted" light by McGizmo. Simply awesome!

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pick up either one of these:

hdspd3az.jpg

and you won't be sorry.....

BETTER YET, GET THEM BOTH!!!!

:thumbsup: WP

kooter

Enlightened
Hello wave. I know the hds but whats the light standing next to it? I can only have one for now, so what is the best? Brightness and throw. Cheers

kooter

Enlightened
Wave. Just checked mcgiz forum. I see the other light is one of theirs. WOW. They have some nice lights. Bit out of my price range at the moment. Unless i get divorced of course. Thanks for the pic.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, kooter! You'll like it here.

Take a moment (a couple of hours, actually :D) and visit theledmuseum.org and/or flashlightreviews.com The info there will help you make a more informed purchase. We have the habit of getting carried away with recommendations, but it's up to you to decide what you'll use the light for, what specs you need (which you have, that's good). Otherwise "best" means a different thing for each person and you might get stuck with something that doesn't really work for you.

kooter

Enlightened
Cheers green. I see you like my name! It has not made it any easier coming on here. Its made it harder. Now i want more flashlights. Some of the mclux lights are unreal, but so is the price. Was going to get the HDS first but then saw the orb and just had to have it. Not that i have got it yet. So in your opinion, what single cell has the best throw, as that is whats important to me in a light. Just for the record i got the name from my best US bud on the forum linked in my first post! :lolsign:

AlecGold

Enlightened
+1 for HDS. it uses 123's and those are readily available and relative cheap. and if you want, you can use rechargable's in the HDS, or SF E1L or alike. besides availability, CR2's don't store as much juice as 123's.
I don't know what light has the most throw. SureFire L1 seems to throw good as wel.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
sooo, kooter, you want to be impressed? Want to be WOWED? Look no further than this:

The best LED lights for throw are:

1) McGizmo's HD45
2) McGizmo's Aleph 3

Period. Check these out at McGizmo's forums! Lots to read about these lights, but certainly worth reading.

Have fun and start saving money..... :lolsign:

:thumbsup: WP

Last edited:

Lexus

Enlightened
WAVE_PARTICLE said:
The best LED lights for throw are:

1) McGizmo's HD45
2) McGizmo's Aleph 3

Period. Check these out at McGizmo's forums! Lots to read about these lights, but certainly worth reading.
What WAVE_PARTICLE said! Get an Aleph 3 or HD45 with a LuxV in it (5W = more power than 3W) and you have a lot of oomph in a 2x123 package. Since you want a single cell, you can use a single 17650 or 18650 Li-Ion cell too, it's bigger than a 123, but still a single cell. :p

*whispers in kooter's ear: Take the HD45 5W + 18650 protected 2200mAh cell* ;)

kooter

Enlightened
Thanks for all your help chaps. I will probably go for the HDS as the mclux is just too pricey. Going to keep looking anyway, but any other input greatly appreciated.

Latest posts