Another Silly Idea -- MagHK

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Mag6D has nice output but is huge, so I figured I would go with the flow.

Why not make it even BIGGER!
xyxgun.gif

I'm not sure where the idea came from, but I started thinking of a Mag6D rifle. It never went anywhere because of the cost for rifle stocks, I wasn't going to shell out serious money for a silly idea. Then I ran across some surplus HK91 parts for only $10 and the project was a go.

It also works well as a pistol with the stock tailcap.

Along the way, I also dropped in a Kiu hotwire socket and a 1274 bulb. The scope was initally going to be just for looks, but is actually usable out to about 50 yards. Beyond that, it's too dim through the scope even though you can still see objects in the beam well with the naked eye.

I am still debating about doing further work on this. Part of me likes the rough look where you can easily distinguish the flashlight and rifle parts. But I am also considering sanding everything down and giving it a coat of gloss black paint. Any input on this issue?

gl22man

Enlightened
holy moly. if thats not the coolest looking mag i don't know what is... Cool little project would really be pretty nice if you lived out in the country..
Mike...

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man, I actually got a stitch in my side from laughing over this one.
That is so great (though I could see you getting into SOOOO much trouble with it)

carrot

Flashaholic
That's actually pretty cool... a scope on a thrower. You need to make it BRIGHTER! Then the scope will be even more useful!

Meduza

Enlightened
Make an extender to extend it to 12D, stuff it with NiMh and make an overdrive of some tough 12v bulbs :D

fleshlite

Banned
DonShock said:
. Then I ran across some surplus HK91 parts for only $10 and the project was a go.

Hey Donshock, what other parts did you find for a HK 91 that was real cheap, Let me know as I would like to get a tripod and some other parts if available. Plse PM me.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carrot said:
That's actually pretty cool... a scope on a thrower. You need to make it BRIGHTER! Then the scope will be even more useful!
I did some playing around, I can just barely fit 8C in the body to drive an 1185 at spec. But the whiter light of an overdriven 1274 with 7C seemed more useful with the scope. I have some NiMH C's on the way. It's strange, I swear I had tried 7C's before and instaflashed the 1274 but when I tried it again last night, everything held fine. Maybe it's the extra resistance of using two tail springs to make up the length. It's roughly doubled the usable distance of the scope.

Meduza said:
Make an extender to extend it to 12D, stuff it with NiMh and make an overdrive of some tough 12v bulbs
biggrin.gif
I actually did think of this when I saw some extenders being offered by ModaMag. But since the stock is attached to the tailcap and the pistol grip is attached to the body, it would ruin the whole layout of the parts. Plus, since I am still using the stock switch, it would be so far forward that my arms wouldn't be long enough to turn the light on or off.

Fleshlite said:
...what other parts did you find for a HK 91 that was real cheap, Let me know...
I got the stock at Cheaper Than Dirt. The set came with the stock, pistol grip, forearm, sling, and mounting pins. I actually bought two sets in case I messed up, which I did when trying to figure out how to get the stock apart. I ended up destroying the metal part of the stock but the rest of the kit was fine. If you need any of the other parts, PM me your address and I'll send them. I'm not sure what other HK91 parts CTD may have since I was only looking for cheap stocks and not for other HK parts.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I figured out how I instaflashed the 1274 with 7 cells by, of course, instaflashing another one. I must have done the first instaflash with 7D NiMH's, and then the second one held on Alkaline 7C. When the alkaline C's finally began to dim, I put in the 7C NiMh's I ordered, and :poof:

:shrug: I guess I'll stick to the 6D NiMH.