Surefire L4

USARSHOE

Newly Enlightened
I am considering a Surefire L4 as an alternate EDC light. It seems to have a good lumen output, but is it truely that bright in real life conditions? I want something about the size and output as an E2E but with an LED and I can get one for about $125.

ront

Newly Enlightened
Hi USARSHOE,I am fairly new here and also pretty new to quality lights, but I do have an L4. I have had it for about a month now. Awesome light it is!! If you light it in a dark room, it will light up the whole room! The light is mainly flood with not alot of throw, but it is great at what it does. It is blinding I just recieved a 2 stage switch for it that will let it operate at two levels of light. The switch is a good investment.
Others will be along shortly that know way more about this than I do, but the L4 is a fine light!

Ron

mahoney

Enlightened
The L4 is a great light for close (less than 20/30 feet) work, especially if you put a 2-stage switch on it, because it's a little too bright for work at arms length. And it's really more of a flood light than the E2E. There's a hotspot, but the corona is really bright. The output is probably comparable between the 2 lights, but the photons are managed differently. If you want a light for throw you will not be happy with the L4.

carrot

Flashaholic
As others said, the L4 is more floody than the E2e, but the good part is that you get better runtime and regulation, and it's also brighter. Those I've talked to who own L4s love them. If you want a light with good throw for about the same price, the A2 is a better choice, but it is incandescent, and not LED. Even then, the incandescent lamp assembly should last 25+ hours in the A2.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Or consider one of the new generation KL1s with the 3 watt LED, optics, & a beamshaper for a throw & flood combo.

Numbers

Enlightened
Get the L4, It is perfect for lighting up any interior space. Imo there is no camparison between the E2L and the L4. The L4 gets the job done, the E2L is only ok for outdoor use. The beam is square and has that crappy yellow ring around it, and the artifacts around the edges. The L4 beam is perfect. Even with the beam shaper the E2L does not compare to the L4 because it does not have even a hint of a hot spot. That said I will keep my E2L for occasional outdoor use. But if you have to own one of the two there is no question the L4 is the way to go. I guess that's why it costs more.

Pc mike, I agree. HDS will be next for me.

blgoode

Newly Enlightened
I like my surefire L4 so much I just boght another!! Previously owned by Tom Mayo :rock:

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I've owned my L4 for over a year and a half now. It has a McGizmo two stage tailcap and I primary run it off of Pila batteries.

I think it is a great light. Indoors it is phenomenal. I'd highly recommend it for such usage.

If you might need more throw, or plan on using it outdoors a lot, there are likely better choices.

But in my opinion, and for my needs, the L4 is a perfect Flashlight.

blgoode

Newly Enlightened
I also LOVE my Basic 60 HDS and I have only used it for a couple of hours. My pockets prefer the HDS size light in jeans and the head doesnt stick up out of my pocket using the clip as much SO.....my hand doesnt have to dig around the light to get into my pocket for things. The L4 2 stage is my go to light but I can say this much..............bet I have the HDS around in my daily activity more :)

blgoode

Newly Enlightened
you are going to go AhhhhHHhhHH..........just like easing into a hot tub!!

cy

Flashaholic
IMHO Surefire L4 is truly a bargain for what you get. world class construction with output that exceeds ANY three watt luxeon light. this includes U85 or any other Ubin light.

with E1E tube and R123 makes a very compact full powered light! combined with CR2 tube makes an even more compact light.

don't understand why anyone would switchout a 5watt luxeon for a three watt, even if 3watt is a Ubin. you would get further throw at expense of spill.

two weakness are:

1. luxeon lottery decides what you will get. solution is to purchase a mint condition used and ask seller for tint and brightness.

2. lacks low level for extended runtime. solution is to mod with $1 resister or purchase a mcE2S two stage switch.

tw4 cr2.JPG

Last edited:

pcmike

Enlightened
Get in on the first shipment of U85GTs going out to Opticshq.. only $250 shipped for CPFers (awesome deal)! I believe there are only two more spots left. Mike won't charge your card until the light ships and I believe they're expected to be in within a few months (maybe sooner, we can hope anyhow)! :drool:

Numbers said:
Get the L4, It is perfect for lighting up any interior space. Imo there is no camparison between the E2L and the L4. The L4 gets the job done, the E2L is only ok for outdoor use. The beam is square and has that crappy yellow ring around it, and the artifacts around the edges. The L4 beam is perfect. Even with the beam shaper the E2L does not compare to the L4 because it does not have even a hint of a hot spot. That said I will keep my E2L for occasional outdoor use. But if you have to own one of the two there is no question the L4 is the way to go. I guess that's why it costs more.

Pc mike, I agree. HDS will be next for me.

blgoode

Newly Enlightened
I plan on going 1 cell pocket torch with one of my L4's. It truley is the best all around indoor or close range (20 feet imho) light. With that said.............I think I'll buy abother HDS just to have as standby. This light is cool but in a different way than the surefires :)

USARSHOE

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks for all of the great feedback and input. Now the only problem is trying to fund the HDS that seems to calling my name.