SunwayLED        

Thread: I have another project idea I need suggestions for

Default I have another project idea I need suggestions for

Ok...I've got a wooden box cue case that I would like to make water resistant. Here's what it basically looks like (clasps are different):

What I'd like to do is seal up the seams so that rain can't penetrate into the case and get on my cue. I think I can accomplish this by making rubber seals for it.

Question is, should I find a way to cut a groove in the walls of the box where the two halves meet, and glue a rubber seal into each half, or should I just glue a few strips of rubber directly onto the walls where the halves meet? I think in order to cut grooves, I'll need a dremel tool and a very steady hand, both of which I don't have.

Any suggestions?
    "I live in a constant state of organized chaos."

Default Re: I have another project idea I need suggestions for

I wish I knew woodworking terms.

With the right router bit, make a channel in the middle, on the bottom half 1/8" deep and fill with silicone. Then slot the upper half and glue in a piece of plastic/wood. Think Pelican cases. Let me see if I can draw something.... best I could do with ms paint and a few mins

edit: I forgot that you don't have a Dremel

Last edited by Arkayne; 03-23-2006 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkayne
    I wish I knew woodworking terms. How about this:

With the right router bit, make a channel in the middle, on the bottom half 1/8" deep and fill with silicone. Then slot the upper half and glue in a piece of plastic/wood. Think Pelican cases. Let me see if I can draw something.... (brb)
    That's the word I was looking for...lol...a CHANNEL in the middle! Plastic would be a better choice then wood for the seal...hmmmmm........

I'm not sure though if a router wouldn't be just a little too powerful for the type of wood...it's a rather weak kind...I think they call it pressboard or something like that...I think a router would tear it up....

Your pic isn't showing for me, Arkayne.

Since you don't have the Dremel, do you have an Exacto? Maybe cut a V channel on the bottom half and fill with silicone. Then Epoxy 18 gauge wire on the top half to create the seal.

EDIT: Refresh - It should work for you now.
    Last edited by Arkayne; 03-23-2006 at 05:59 PM.

Since you don't have the Dremel, do you have an Exacto? Maybe cut a V channel on the bottom half and fill with silicone. Then Epoxy 18 gauge wire on the top half to create the seal.
    The problem with using a Dremel or an exacto, is that you have to have a very steady hand and a good eye to make a straight groove. The slightest deviation from the straight line would result in an uneven seal and a leak.

It would be sooo much easier if these were already made...hmm..maybe I can develop a prototype and send it to some companies....

I'm sure you could pull it off with a yardstick and a brand new xacto blade.

You could always stick the case in huge ziplock bag until you can find a watertight cue case.

Check out the cases at Pelican. The model 1700 might fit the bill.
    http://pelican.com/cases/3bo_1700.html

Last edited by Arkayne; 03-23-2006 at 06:14 PM.

Nevermind, Arkayne beat me to it.

LMAO...there we go. The Super Ziploc Bag!!

I think the case you linked to is just a little too large...they didn't even list a price for it. I could just imagine how much they want for it though.

Oh, and I see your drawing now...that's exactly the idea I have...the design of it anyway. Just need the right materials and tools to do it without destroying the case.

LOL, I bet you could get a condom over both (or all 3 pieces) of your cue if you want that EXTRA protection.

edit: in the rain that is.

LOL, I bet you could get a condom over both (or all 3 pieces) of your cue if you want that EXTRA protection.

edit: in the rain that is.
    LMAO!! I could imagine the look on my opponent's face when I pull out my cue! "And what exactly are planning to do with THAT?"

hehehe