Chyoosing a new EDC light

DieselTech

Enlightened
Hey all. I'm looking for a new every day light, so I wanted to get a few opinions on what to consider.

Right now, I carry a Surefire E2D. I love it. The light output rocks, it's practically indestructible, but the short runtime and high battery cost is getting a bit old. If I'm spending a lot of time working under a truck, I may have to replace the batteries two or three times in an 8 hour day.

The number one quality of a light is it has to be rock solid. I try to take great care of my stuff, but my job has a tendency to put me in the gravel on the side of the interstate working under a semi. My lights get dropped out of my pockets under things, smacked against things, knocked over- I even dropped my old E2E off the top of a semi trailer once and didnt notice until we were finished and had pulled the trailer away, running over the light in the process. :awman: Thankfully, the light survived (the trailer was empty for service) with the exception of the bulb. Apperantly a 20-ish foot drop onto cement can kill a Surefire bulb. Who knew? :ohgeez:

I've been looking at the Surefire A2. I like the fact that it has the LEDs and the 50 lumen bulb. However, all of my 'good' lights are Surefires. I love the brand, but I dont want to limit myself and miss out on a great light from another company in the process. I also wouldnt mind finding an A2 style light that ran on AA batteries.

Aside from being built like a tank, the light needs to be roughly E2D sized, somewhere in the 4 to 6 inch range so that I can carry it in a pocket or on a belt without too much interference.

Since I'm looking at a multi- level light, I dont know how to define my throw and spill needs. Uner a truck or in an engine bay, I may only be two or three feet from the area I need to illuminate, but I may need to light up the entire side of the engine to find a leak. On the flip side, it's also nice to be able to use the light to designate a specific truck/ trailer/ object on the other side of the lot for the yard drivers to bring in for service.

I dont mind using the 123 batteries, but I would need a 17-20 hour runtime for the light to be practical. As such, I'm also looking for lights that can run on AA batteries, but I think a rechargable light might actually be best for my situation.

There are a lot of very knowledgable people here, so I'm sure y'all will help steer me in the right direction. Thanks!

carrot

Flashaholic
I think the A2 would be a suitable choice. On low you'll get plenty of runtime, usually good enough for most tasks, and it'll throw well enough to use to point out things in the distance. There's really only one other light (or series of lights) like the A2 -- that'd be the Streamlight TwinTask series, but I think they might be bigger than what you're looking for, at least the ones that use alkalines.

A 17-20 hour runtime would seriously limit the lights you could choose from. I think that a 3 hour runtime is fair -- the E2L should run for 3 hours in 'sun' mode, and then drop into 'moon' mode for another 3 hours. It's also supposed to be quite a thrower. Or even better, the L1, which is a dual stage light using one battery -- 90 hours on low (1.1 lumens), and 4 hours on high (22 lumens).

Ringer

Newly Enlightened
Have you looked at the HDS EDC's? I have been a "Surefire" person for sometime but recently orderd an HDS Ultimate 60XR. As much as you use the light the fact these can use rechargeables is a big plus. With the multiple (4) levels of light you can set it up to meet your specific needs. It's a 1 cell light so a couple spares and I would think you would be good to go, just recharge at night. Other than that maybe an L4 with a two stage tail cap?

If you are not familiar with the HDS do a search and/or check the HDS forum in the Manufacturer section. Pricey, but hopefully worth it. Mine arrives tomorrow.

blgoode

Newly Enlightened
all I have are Surefires - E1L E2L L4 L2.............I just got my first HDS today and I think I am getting another just to have as standby!! This is truly an EDC light!

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finding an EDC is a never-ending process. That can be part of the fun, depending on one's outlook.

Right now I'm sorta thinking that the Fenix L2 might do it for you. Its got an LED that will last forever, and you can use 2 rechargeable AA batteries. Built pretty dang solid too. Plenty of light. Something to consider. Maybe in the $50 range with shipping. You can do a search if interested.

Another one is the Streamlight Luxeon Propolymer 4AA. Being 4AA its thicker than some others, but is not costy at $30 or so. It can eat rechargeable AAs too. Its regulated and well built, but the runtime is something in the 5 hour range (cant remember) and not that 17+ you mentioned. Highly regarded around here.

There are plenty of others, buts thats something to cogitate on.

cheers

Flakey

Enlightened
I would suggest the U2 ultra, it will take an 18650 protected lithium ion battery and stay in regulation on its highest level for longer than with 2 Sf 123's. for me the u2 is PERFECT. i used to carry a C3 centurian, and i can say that my u2 is brighter than the C3. in fact my c3 with p91 lamp assembly is barely brighter to my eyes. i vote U2!!!

ScottyJ

Enlightened
As someone posted above, I also was a surefire only guy until I got an HDS....now, most of the time my surefires stay at home unless I need a big thrower like my M4.

Boris

Newly Enlightened
You can buy the KL1 for your current E2D. it will give you longer runtime, but not in the 17 hours range. The X5, its in that range, about 20 hours (getting dimer) and it's build like a tank, but maybe it's nor bright enought. Thinking about costs, a Fenix L2P it's an excelent choice. According to Quickbeam site, runtime it's about 2 hours. I know it isn't in the 17 hours range, but you can use rechargables, and with the price of alcaline batteries, i wouldn't mind. I have a L1P, and it has become my favorite light, even more than my E2L, because of the size, alcaline batteries and Brightness

DieselTech

Enlightened
Well, I looked at the L2P, the Streamlight TwinTask series, and the Pila lights.

Right now, I'm torn between the Streamlight TwinTask 2L, the Pila GL2, and the Pila GL3. I like the GL3 a lot, I just have a hard time visualizing how long it is. I plan to pull out the ruler later for a better idea.

What do y'all think of these lights? It seems like they're light outputs and settings are suitable, but I worry that I may break them, or the beam pattern wont be what I need. But by the same token, I'm that way about all my tools that I havent already put through the ringer.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
I think maybe instead of looking for a 17-20 hour runtime you should look for something that runs on rechargeables. I would suggest two possibilities to consider. First, as mentioned is the HDS EDC. Second is getting a Surefire KL4 head and a two stage switch for your E2D and some Pila rechargeables (will generics such as the 17500 work?) to power it. I have both and both are great and "free lumens" once youve made the battery investment.