Surefire models with regulation for high and low?

Chehalis

Newly Enlightened
I'm still new to all this and have already begun lusting after Surefire models. It's all a bit confusing. Are there any Surefire models that offer regulation for the LEDs in both high and low modes? I was looking at the L1 and L2 even though they are vastly different.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
The run-time plots by CPF member kj here, show the Surefire U2 being regulated at all levels (well level 6 is not as flat, but still semi-regulated.)

The L1 and L2 are opposites to my knowledge. The L1 being regulated on high but not on low and th L2 regulated on low and not on high (well based upon my testing, it is semi-regulated but think its a boost circuit pushing the LuxV hard.) The A2 is regulated on high but not on low.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello Chehalis!

The SureFire Aviator A2 is a regulated one, but don't remember if the SF.L1 and SF.L2 are—:thinking: Either way, these are some well built light I must say.

Enjoy!

Size15's

Flashaholic
JasonC8301, post is what I understand to currently be the case.

The L2 is a low output / long runtime flashlight with a high output mode (like the 10X) and it's high output mode is 'regulated'/controlled to get the most output.

The L1 is a standard output / standard runtime flashlight with a low output / long runtime mode (like the A2/9AN). Currently the low output is not regulated.

Al

Chehalis

Newly Enlightened
So there is no Surefire model that is regulated in both modes then, right?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chehalis said:

Just the U2 apparently.

I have the L1, L2, A2, and an L4 which I used with a McGizmo 2-stage switch. Honestly I have never even noticed that both levels are not regulated in using those lights.

There are other lights: McGizmo's McLuxIII-PD I think is regulated in both its levels, as are the HDS EDC lights. The Night-Ops Gladius is regulated in all of its levels.

What kind of a light are you looking for, or what role will it fill?

Also, are you "of the" Chehalis, or "from" Chehalis?

Scott

Size15's

Flashaholic
Chehalis said:

SureFire's L1 & L2 have evolved and there is no reason to assume they will not continue to. May be one day we'll see an L1 with both levels regulated.
The L2 is regulated on high - it's controlled in such a way as to maximise output (that is my understanding). 'straight/flat/level' output over time is what we normally look for though.

Al

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Isn't the L2 regulated on both levels? I was very conofident in the fact that it would be ...
bernie