ARC-LS revisited.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
So after a few weeks of having to deal with a bad situation regarding a simple little thing like an ARC LS twisty tail cap.
DSCN7881crsm.jpg
Today I received an anodized replacement that I bought for myself. So I pulled out my trusty ARC LSH-s....second no less # 148 and havent been able to put it down. It is like getting a new light that you have been waiting 6 months for. I can't beleive that I am getting such a kick out of this OLD flashlight!!
This light has seen the wars. Riding in my pocket for a very long time as my EDC. The ARC flashlights were what got me into this crazy hobby. I still have all of them and you know what? They are under used and unfortunately underappreciated by me. This particular ARC LSH-s which was/is a second was a total bargain at like $80.00 or was it $100.00. Was it even that much? I can't remember. I look at this light and think about where it has been and I got to tell you I am amazed that it looks so good. Here is it's first ding.
lsdingcropsm.jpg
Dont you just hate that? Talk about with a supreme finish!! These old arcs have that and then some.
Here is one in action with an ARC 4.. remember those?
lsvs4a.jpg

Anyway To make a long silly story a bit longer... I have got to say that I love my ARC LS lights and I like my ARC 4's too. This to me will be THE enduring face of early luxeon flashlights. The LS's are so heavy duty it is ridiculous. It is getting hard to type with one hand (The other is holding ARC LSH-S #148 a second).
yaesumofo

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
...and that's why I find it hard to "let anymore loose into the wild"! :ohgeez:

I know I have a "couple" too many - but so far they're still "keepers"! :D

CLHC

Flashaholic
I've always wanted one of these ever since I first saw them. Only that they were all SOLD OUT!

metalhed

Enlightened
I guess this would be better asked on the ARC forum (as far as getting a reliable answer), but what the hey...I'll ask it here.

Did ARC ever patent or trademark the physical design of the LS series? Were the rights ever transferred to another holder?

If not, then the design probably has lapsed into the public domain. In which case anyone could re-create the bodies. I'm not talking about the electronics, mind you...only the body itself.

I've always viewed my LS's as my most 'bulletproof' lights. I had one go through both the washer and dryer once, and had the privilege of opening the clothes dryer to see the light from my LS (the Kroll had activated in the dryer) shining through the pocket of a pair of jeans. That sold me. I love 'em.

It's just that if ARC has no intention of producing these again, I'd love to see someone do a run of them as hosts. It would be nice to be able to drop various sandwich or PCB arrangements into such a durable body design.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I used to *drool* over the Arc LS's desing from the first day I saw one. As with many other things I buy, it takes me a long time to do so. At one point I had 5 of them :crazy: Now I only have two: one is an LSL-P (still stock) that I carried in my pocket for the longest time (only recently bumped by a CR2-based light), and a mint LSH-S that's still in it's baggie. I opened the bag once to make sure the light worked (silly me, of course it did!), took the battery out and put it back in storage again. I guess that's the only shelf queen (or rather drawer queen) I have. I've thought about modding the LSL-P, but... why would I do that? Really, it's great as it is (purple tint and all!).

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple in the baggie. and an LSH-P.
I loved that ARC sold the seconds. I went through a few of those.

I don't think there is much standing in the way of making a copy of the body. There are those who mod these and do a great job on them.
The finish is amazing if you look at my "ding" picture you can almost see how thick the HAIII finish is on the ARC. I have a first run somewhere too...Actually I know exactly where it is. Talk about a purple beam.
All of my other arcs have nice tints.
Yaesumofo

greenLED said:
I used to *drool* over the Arc LS's design from the first day I saw one. As with many other things I buy, it takes me a long time to do so. At one point I had 5 of them :crazy: Now I only have two: one is an LSL-P (still stock) that I carried in my pocket for the longest time (only recently bumped by a CR2-based light), and a mint LSH-S that's still in it's baggie. I opened the bag once to make sure the light worked (silly me, of course it did!), took the battery out and put it back in storage again. I guess that's the only shelf queen (or rather drawer queen) I have. I've thought about modding the LSL-P, but... why would I do that? Really, it's great as it is (purple tint and all!).

greenLED

Flashaholic
:) I'm very fond of that purple tint (it's really like faded violet or something) - it's the only Lux I've seen with that tint so I like it.

Speaking of HA in the Arc lights: the anodizing on those is the toughest I've had to strip so far. Actually, a black ArcAAA is by far *the* one flashlight part that's taken the longest to strip (and that's using fresh 1N NaOH solution).

cy

Flashaholic
metalhed said:
I guess this would be better asked on the ARC forum (as far as getting a reliable answer), but what the hey...I'll ask it here.

Did ARC ever patent or trademark the physical design of the LS series? Were the rights ever transferred to another holder?

If not, then the design probably has lapsed into the public domain. In which case anyone could re-create the bodies. I'm not talking about the electronics, mind you...only the body itself.

I've always viewed my LS's as my most 'bulletproof' lights. I had one go through both the washer and dryer once, and had the privilege of opening the clothes dryer to see the light from my LS (the Kroll had activated in the dryer) shining through the pocket of a pair of jeans. That sold me. I love 'em.

It's just that if ARC has no intention of producing these again, I'd love to see someone do a run of them as hosts. It would be nice to be able to drop various sandwich or PCB arrangements into such a durable body design.

it's my understanding the new ARC company purchased all rights belonging to original ARC company.

I've got mint empty ARC LS bodies available. Please PM if interested.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I always loved the twisty ArcLS ... I think it has the magic formfactor that makes it so special, so desirable. I will never sell mine.
However, all that changed with the Kroll ... argh!
bernie

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
The design of the LS (twisty) is what hooked me to LED lights.
When I first found out about them through CPF, you could have told me they were designed back
in the 60s or that they came from 2030 in a time machine. I would have beleived both.
A timeless design.

DaveG

Enlightened
I carry my LS w twisty each day ,its not my brightest light but one of my most used,also have a couple of seconds as back up,if this one dies or gets lost.Dont like to think about that.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The electronics are fairly efficient, even by todays standards. One can have two options: smallest and most reliable with the twisty; larger but more convenient for frequent switching with the Kroll.

I pray that I never lose mine.

cy

Flashaholic
this is my current EDC...

Li14430/CR2 on neck lanyard and beat up ARC LS first run w/exceptional tint original low dome. ARC rides loose in pocket along with keys, coins etc. "awhhh.. the joys of EDC an already dented light"

I can run R123 li-ion in first run, but chose to run half-dead CR123's. reduces output to aprox 25 lumens or perfect for most jobs. not too bright for closeups and just enough for medium range outside walkin duties.

this on is one of the few lights I run off of primary CR123. got a big bag of half dead CR123 waiting... don't think I'll run out anytime soon :D

for size comparison, Polished ARC LSH is on right. this one will be available soon as a completed light.

edc 3-20-06.JPG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread!
I love my ARC LSH-P. I bought it the day after ARC went out of buisness, at a gun show i went to. I got the LS, and a AAA, at a very good price, especially when thing's were crazy with everyone buying old stock from dealer's at very high price's.
Though I do not EDC very often, I still love the form factor and yes even the kroll! it has not failed yet and there fixable/replacable, so I only worry about scatching the len's not being glass. ( A nice refinement on the HDS basic, the front mounted replaceable glass lens)

Mine has a green'ish tint, not too bad, but next to newer lux's pretty noticable.
But all that aside the ARC is what led me to high end light's in general and LED's in particular. I still think it's a sexy looking light, and like the feel
of the smaller width, then many other 123 based EDC's.
I am buying a twisty for it, and even though I don't really dig twisty's too much it seem's like the thing to buy to have to play with. ( i wish I cold have got one of the cool "ARC" lettered pouchs too!)
I still remember how cool the ARC website was when I was new to high end light's, cool pic's and info, looked nothing like a flashlight, more like alien technology! Cool stuff. VDG

nightshade

Enlightened
Just need a drop-in Flupic designed for the Arc LS, I'm still hoping Goldserve may one day consider that option.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I still have my very first Arc-LS - a prototype of which only two are known to exist on the surface of this planet, and the only one known to exist on the western hemisphere!!!

arcls6.jpg

arcls3.jpg

I still pick it up every now and again just to hold it and to shine it around the room. :twothumbs:

Last edited:

randyo

Enlightened
Speaking of HA in the Arc lights: the anodizing on those is the toughest I've had to strip so far. Actually, a black ArcAAA is by far *the* one flashlight part that's taken the longest to strip (and that's using fresh 1N NaOH solution).

That's GREAT to hear. Once I receive my natural HA-III ARC-AAA LE back from Miller Mods, I'm going to send off another one for the 1 Watt mod. I was debating which one. Now I know. I'll send off the black body stealth "unmarked" AAA. A body that tuff deserves a 1 watt Luxeon.

cy

Flashaholic
The_LED_Museum said:
I still have my very first Arc-LS - a prototype of which only two are known to exist on the surface of this planet, and the only one known to exist on the western hemisphere!!!

I still pick it up every now and again just to hold it and to shine it around the room. :twothumbs:
you're not proud of the proto LS are you? :D