G2 or TL-3

skiersl9

Newly Enlightened
How much brighter is the Streamlight TL-3 than the Surefire G2? I want them both but I can only get one for the time being so I have to pick which one to get first.

CLHC

Flashaholic
As you may have read here, the Streamlight TL-3 "throws" the light farther than the SureFire G2, but it's beam pattern, if shining at a white wall, isn't appealing. I don't have the Streamlight TL-3, but I believe that it is also brigther than the SF.G2.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TL-3 is much brighter. If you need to throw a lot of light past 100 feet then it is better than the G2.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trust me, get the TL-3!!!

It has throw and the output will put to shame a SF G2 and a 9P (P90 bulb), plus you have the option of making it recheargable using AW 17500 batteries, without having to change bulbs.

It rocks!!!! Go get it!

AlexGT

Edit: Selling for $48 plus free shipping at amazon.com

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, there's the response in favor of the Streamlight TL-3. Hope that'll incite you to take the next step!

Enjoy! :wave:

SCblur

Enlightened
I have a G2 now and I am planning on a TL-3 for my next purchase. It is indeed brighter and throws much farther than the G2, but it also isn't as easy to carry, being a little bigger and longer. Probably one of the best deals out there for lumens and throw for the dollar. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Just ask yourself what you want more, compactness or more lumens and throw. If you haven't already compared the two reviews at www.flashlightreviews.com I would highly recommend it. Very good information there, especially when you are trying to decide between two lights.

Whichever you decide on, I hope you enjoy!

mdocod

Flashaholic
TL-3

um

TL-3

(more impressive)

If i were tipping between the 2, the TL-3 would be first, because it is a much more impressive light, with better upgrade options.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
I have a Surefire 9P with a P91 HOLA in it. That is a little brighter than the TL-3. But that is rated by Surefire at being about more than 50% more than what the G2 can do. Also, at those high outputs the Surefires will have a shorter runtime. Bottom line, get the TL-3 unless the slightly larger size bothers you.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok here's some pics to compare the G2 to the TL-3

Size, the TL-3 is about an inch bigger than the G2

Compare the 2 reflectors, TL-3 has bigger and less textured reflector

And now here is the beamshot the TL-3 is using 2 AW 17500 protected li-ion batteries which makes it about 10-15% brighter than with standard 123's (according to my eyes) G2 is on the left with new 123's and TL-3 is stomping it on the right.

Hope this helps you decide what to get.

AlexGT

CLHC

Flashaholic
Way to go Alex! :thumbsup:

Those pictures do a lot to aid those contemplating purchasing one or the other of said flashlights.

Enjoy!

SCblur

Enlightened
Alex,

What is the useable runtime like with the protected cells compared to primaries? Also, how is the discharge curve relative to primaries? What would a rechargeable setup run me for the TL-3. I would have been all over this light a long time ago if I knew it were so compatible with rechargeables. If I can get close to an hour of use on a set of protected cells, that would be awesome.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
You get aproximately 50 to 60 minutes of runtime (haven't used it that long continuosly) and they hold the voltage much better than the 123's (This I know) but at the end of the charge you won't get any dimming warning, it will just shut down if you are thinking about powering with li-ions get the protected ones.

The 17500 cells are $10 each and a charger is about $13 from AW.

So the numbers are

$48 for the TL-3
$20 for the batteries
$13 for the charger

$81 Total. and you get guilt free lumens! I use it almost everyday.

skiersl9

Newly Enlightened
Hey you guys are great! I am gunna go with the TL-3. Especially after seing those pics they are great? Thanks for the help everyone I had no idea which one to get but no I do.

:sold:

SCblur

Enlightened
Thanks for that Alex, those figures are better than I was hoping. I can't wait to get one now :)