Streamlight TL-2 or Wolf Eyes Eagle 2AX???

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all!

I want another 2 cell light and want to decide between the TL-2 or the Wolf-Eyes 2AX, both have adjustable beams, metal reflector, glass lens and tactical switch.

I plan to use it with a 17670 li-ion battery and want to know which has better output and/or throw.

Option 1 : The TL-2 with a Strion 3.7V bulb and a protected 17670 Li-ion
I already ordered this at amazon.com for $34.95 +free shipping but it's back ordered until mid April :thumbsdow I may cancel the order.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008VE4B/qid=1143266821/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2093195-5717467?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013

Option 2: The Wolf Eyes 2AX with the 3.7V E2 bulb that the 2A uses? This is just a bit more expensive than the TL-2 but is ready to ship from PTS

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/productList.aspx?uid=1-3-22

Which would you choose and why? Help me decide please.

AlexGT:grin2:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I don't know about these two since I have not seen them myself. But that Wolf-Eyes TwoAX looks neato!

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep that looks nice! Where is Paul in Maryland when we need him???? He's the wolf eyes guru.

Paul are you there???

AlexGT

CLHC

Flashaholic
Oh I'm sure he'll respond sooner or later. As you've alluded to, this is P_I_M's specialty! :wave:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my perspective, the reflector on the AX looks bigger than the reflector on the TL-2, it may be an illusion but if it has a bigger reflector it may throw farther.

Waiting on the more knowledgeable folks to chime in.

AlexGT

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
...I do not own a Tl-2 or a Wolf Eyes 2AX but I do have a TL-3 and the four cell Wolf Eyes Rattlesnake. The Wolf Eyes seems like the better light to me.
jc

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Wolf-eyes can also use the higher capacity 18650 cells instead of the 17670 so that should give it better runtime.

I'd go for the Wolf-eyes light since I'm very happy with the quality of the Wlof-eyes light that I own.

Sverre

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies, To be able to use the 18650 battery is a good point for the Wolf eyes 2AX light over the TL-2, anyone knows what size is the reflector on the 2AX? how rough is the orange peel reflector coating? Anyone has some beamshots of this light? Im inclining towards getting the Wolf eyes light over the TL-2 but need a bit more help deciding.

Thanks!
AlexGT

MadMag

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased (from PTS) the Wolf-Eyes 9A Li-ion re-chargeable (2) 150 cells. This light can also use 3X123 primary. Larger than two cell that you asked about, but I can tell you that I am very pleased with the performance of this light. I also have surefire, but I think the 9A beam is one of the best I have seen. More to the flood side. I really like the re-charge opition. One thing, this light is kinda heavy for its size, so not everyone will like for pocket carry.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the Wolf Eyes. You get a solid build, tailcap options, voltage and cell options, and longer runtime. Also, I must confess that I have a bias against the TL-2/TL-3S bipin bulb; to change it in the field, you must get your fingers on it, with no way to clean it till you're home. Plus, replacing a bipin takes dexterity and time.

The Wolf Eyes focusing lamps are shown here . I don't know the reflector diameter.

The Wolf Eyes 2AX uses a 6V lamp with two 123A cells; to use a rechargeable cell, you need a 3.7V version: E2-A (clickie) or E2-T (LED tailcap)?

Have you read QuickBeam's 3AX review? Just about everything found there will apply to the 2A, except that the A2's throw will be perhaps 20 percent shorter and its total output will be about 50 percent lower.

I will say this for the TL-2: Its head is the same slim 1.25-inch diameter as the Surefire 6P's; you'd be able to add a Surefire BeamShaper or a Surefire or TL-2 traffic wand. I'm not sure that the Wolf Eyes focusables can accept any such accessories.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if this will help or not. I recently picked up a W/E M90X from P-T-S and absolutely love the light. The quality is there, and yes I know it is a 4-cell light but the throw and flood are simply amazing. My light has a glass lense and a stippled reflector.

At our beach house we have deep woods behind our home. This is the first light that can illuminate a large area yet punch through the trees and underbrush so I can really see what is moving back there.

Blows my LEDBeam away, hands down. I think the W/E is a keeper, and I may pick up an incan SF (maybe an M6?)? I never knew incans could be this powerful.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I forgot to mention that I got the white LED tailcap option too. It shipped with the LED tailcap in the box, so I also have the clickie tailcap. The LED tailcap is great for low-level illumination, such as when I'm walking the dog. If the 2AX offers the tailcap I'd highly recommend it. I have a long-running, drop-proof tailcap in addition to a scorching incan light when needed. Kind of like having 2 lights in 1.

I do quite a bit of nighttime geocaching with two good friends and the next series we're tackling will be a bit technical. I'll definitely have the W/E with me. A nice little added bonus is the glowpaint in the LED tailcap. Once the tailcap is extinguished, the tailcap continues to glow. Great in case I manage to drop the light in the woods!:ohgeez:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for checking in Paul!

Do you know if the bodies of the non recheargable E2-AX and the recheargable E2-A have the same inside diameter to accept the 18650 / 168A?

I did see the 3AX review and liked it, but since it's 3 x 123's wasn't sure how that would translate into a two cell size, following your input about how much less throw and output I made this assumtion,

Wolf Eyes E2
Throw 77.46 (3AX) - 20% (Your guess) = 61.96
Output 120 (3AX) - 50% (your guess) = 60.00

Streamlight TL-2 with strion bulb (Is the Strion and TL-2 reflector the same?)
Throw 85.12 (Using Strion data)
Output 50 (Using Strion data)

So would it be safe to assume that the TL-2 with Strion bulb throws farther but has less total output than the E2?

Anyone owns both lights and can make a comparison with beamshots???

Thanks!

AlexGT

Razor

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a WE yet, but I'm really looking forward to what you think of it once you get yours, Alex. As for Quickbeams review, iirc, the AX has such a heavily stippled reflector that even when turned to flood mode, the beam was still relatively lacking in rings and holes, etc. Taking that into consideration, and from what we know of intense stippling, it's throw may be compromised.

Chronos said:
...I never knew incans could be this powerful.

Ah, the good 'ol incans. I see LED's comparable to today's turbo-charged four-cylinder engines. They both pack a punch, while still sipping fuel (or voltage). And the variable brightness ones can even be akinned to variable valve timing. And then there're the incans, which burn batteries like a full-on burbling V8's drinks gas, but boy do they have power when you need it. :rock:

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexGT said:
Do you know if the bodies of the non recheargable E2-AX and the recheargable E2-A have the same inside diameter to accept the 18650 / 168A?
Yes, they do. However, you can't swap heads and bodies between focusable and non-.

So would it be safe to assume that the TL-2 with Strion bulb throws farther but has less total output than the E2?
That sounds right. But a Wolf Eyes 6M--which uses the 42mm miniturbohead--should outthrow the TL-2.

Much as I like Wolf Eyes, it's not for everyone. Specifically, it's not for someone who prefers their light to be as slim and light as possible; such a person would be better off with a Surefire G2 or E2.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure I understand the logic in your SL TL-2 conversion using the 17670 battery and the Strion bulb. By the time you get through with the whole conversion, getting the TL-2, the batteries, and the charger, you'd be pretty close to the price of a Strion. Would it be better just to get the Strion and have the convenience of not having to remove the battery to charge it?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be true, but I already have the charger, the 17670 battery and the strion bulb since I upgraded my E2e to use Li-ions and the strion bulb, so basically all I need is just the light.

I probably gonna get the TL-2 and if not satisfied I'll change to the Mx or Eagle2

AlexGT

Brighteyez said:
I'm not sure I understand the logic in your SL TL-2 conversion using the 17670 battery and the Strion bulb. By the time you get through with the whole conversion, getting the TL-2, the batteries, and the charger, you'd be pretty close to the price of a Strion. Would it be better just to get the Strion and have the convenience of not having to remove the battery to charge it?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or maybe just get the two LOL!, that 6MX looks nice too! and it's about the same price, What to get???? Hmmmm......

AlexGT