AELight Pl24 on a Diet

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I coud'nt take the HUMONGOUS AElight anymore so it went on a diet today :) Hours later...................the results.

Before

IMG_2106-vi.jpg

After

IMG_2107-vi.jpg

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin asked the same question I want to know the answers to... what does it run on now and how is the runtime changed from stock to your new configuration.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
If i took a guess i would assume Mac used a smaller battery. It should be just as bright just with shorter runtime. A good idea in my book. Not everone needs the 127 minutes of runtime that the original PL24 gives.
Mac, what is the exact length? It looks slightly shorter than the 12.5" 3D maglite.

John

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AElight uses a 3S2P battery pack.

-I removed 3 of the cells of the battery pack and left the protection circuit in place. This shaved 2.6 inches off the length.

-Designed / Fabricated a new tailcap with switch. This shaved probably another 2 inches off.

-The light draws 1.9amps while under operation. The Panasonic 2200mah cells should power the light for over an hour.

-The Stock charger is still used.

-Same brightness half the runtime.

-11.5" overall length

Mac

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guessed as much, about the 3S2P architecture of the AELight. That would enable the pack to be chopped in half as you've done. YOU DA MAN!! :thumbsup:

Price it.....we want it ;)

Steve77

Newly Enlightened
Now THAT is awesome. That is Sooo my kind of mod (meaning the kind I appreciate, way above my skill level). What kind of switch do you use?

Now to ask the repeat question. Is there any chance you might be willing to make a few and sell them on here? I'm very interested.

FireStik

Newly Enlightened
Steve77 said:
...Is there any chance you might be willing to make a few and sell them on here? I'm very interested.

I've been wondering that myself. I don't have the flashlight yet, but that would push me over the edge.

dwminer

Enlightened
The tailcap with switch is a very interesting solution for the AE light. Any chance that you will offer any for sale to fit a stock AE Pl24?
Thanks Dave

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
dwminer said:
The tailcap with switch is a very interesting solution for the AE light. Any chance that you will offer any for sale to fit a stock AE Pl24?
Thanks Dave

I myself coud not offer the tailcap at a reasonable price as I manual machine the tailcap out of 2" raw aluminum stock (2+ hours). Also when I did the cutdown mod I re-threaded everything 20tpi. I believe stock threads are metric and I don't want to play with metric threads as they are complicated without a CNC machine.

Sorry Mac