Luxeon V segments..

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The LuxV consists of two series of two dies ... and when they aren't perfectly matched for Vin OR when one of the two is faulty you'll see a difference in output.
Now ... normally ... this should not be there, BUT ... as you are looking at it when it barely lights up I am not so sure if it is pathological. We will have to wait for our experts on this. :thinking:

TIP: You can look at a full-powered LuxV by using a CD or any other barely-transparent material as a filter ... and thus you can check if there is a difference at high power ...

bernie

wojtek_pl

Enlightened
Kiessling said:
[...]
TIP: You can look at a full-powered LuxV by using a CD or any other barely-transparent material as a filter ... and thus you can check if there is a difference at high power ...
bernie
Thanks for this tip ! :D I'll try that !

wojtek_pl

Enlightened
Christoph said:
I have seen this on a few V's at low power.I would think it is a Vf issue like Bernie said.

C

Ok, question is, can I power this LED at full power without risk ?

What will be resultant Vf ? I guess two segments have lower Vf and they can be a little overdriven when other two will work at full power...

How this segments are connected: parallel or serial ?

This is my first (and only) Luxeon V LED so I have questions.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
No two are perfectly identical even if the bins are the same because each bin has a range and each led may fall in a particular bin but in a different range of that bin. You may see a slight differnce under low power, you can even see a difference at full power if you look at it with a welding filter or similar shaded filter.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as you don't overdrive :devil: it it should last as long as any other V :grin2: It is just one "chip"now.

C
PS I just looked at three V's I have here at work and they all have some differances in the die.