To ALL SureFire U2 owners: Does your U2 work well? (POLL)

My U2

• works flawlessly!

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • has only slight problems I can live with (like "doughnut hole").

Votes: 39 37.9%
  • had huge problems or didn't work at all!

Votes: 14 13.6%

• Total voters

Ice

Enlightened
Since a lot of people seem to have problems with SureFire's U2 (whereas many others are very pleased with theirs), I'm starting a poll, so we get a better picture of the U2's reliability!
(Thanks to Numbers for the usefull suggestion in this thread !)
Have fun! :)

P.S.: I started, mine having a slight doughnut pattern I still can live with...

Edit:
To be fair I'd like to mention one thing which could slightly change the outcome of this poll, namely that members of this forum are likely to make rather high demands to their lights (and e.g. to notice some slight doughnut hole more then "normal people"... :rock: ).
On the other hand, everyone who reads this post is likely to fit well into that demanding group, so the poll should be representative anyway... :)

Last edited:

ABCA41p22

Newly Enlightened
I would have put in for "had huge problems but now is fixed and flawless."

Cheers /kemal

Ice

Enlightened
Yeah, I was thinking of allowing multiple choices for that reason but decided against it, thinking of some SureFire fanatic to vote a hundred times in favour of the U2... :)
I would vote for "had huge problems" in your case.

After all, when you get your 300$ light, you want to know it's ok now and not six weeks later when you get it back from SureFire, don't you?! :rant:

a99raptors

Enlightened
My U2 was perfect, until I started looking for the doughnut hole and found it :) I sure wish they could make it so it stays black even when dropped...

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted flawlessly because I bought mine used and they tailcap issue was fixed before I got it.
I don't call it a donut if I have to actively search for it, and sometimes in wain, while white wall hunting ;)
Everything is perfect now and I'm really happy that I finally caved in and bought mine..

I think the U2 tailcap has had serious quality issues, but feel like some CPF'ers are blowing the donut issue way out of proportions... If you have to search for it on a white wall it isn't an issue with lack of QC from Surefire IMHO....
Owners who have a pronounced donut do have every right to get a replacement from Surefire, and I agree that Surefire should never have sold those lights in the first place...

Sverre

Last edited:

Bradlee

Enlightened
NoFair said:
I think the U2 tailcap has had serious quality issues, but feel like some CPF'ers are blowing the donut issue way out of proportions... If you have to search for it on a white wall it isn't an issue with lack of QC from Surefire IMHO....

Sverre

Some of us do have U2's with doughnut holes noticable in practical use. Mine definately doesn't need to be shone against a white wall to be seen.

BTW, thanks Ice, for starting this poll, I'll be interested to see how it ends up.

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
Works flawlessly - Everytime - All the time ! .............. :naughty:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I voted "works flawlessly!" because the doughnut hole is exceedingly minor and I have to shine it at a very light-colored wall and look for it. I have yet to encounter any problems with the tailcap; and I've had it for just a few days short of a full year.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted "works flawlessly", since there was no option for "multiple problems, returned to mfg, waited six weeks, replacement light works well".

Ice

Enlightened
I voted "works flawlessly", since there was no option for "multiple problems, returned to mfg, waited six weeks, replacement light works well".
Well, that a replacement was necessary should be the best reason to vote for "huge problems"!

I voted "works flawlessly!" because the doughnut hole is exceedingly minor and I have to shine it at a very light-colored wall and look for it.
Just what I would have done. As a matter of fact, nobody and nothing is really perfect... :)

Edit:
Well, if we associate "works flawlessly" with the number 1 and "has huge problems" with 3, we get a mean value of about 1.6 at the moment.
As it looks like, only half (!) the people who bought it had no issues with their light at all! That's actually not impressive... :huh2:
And 12% even had to return their light...
Of course that's only an intermediate result!

Last edited:

jmy808

Newly Enlightened
My U2 works/performs perfectly. Great white light, no cap prob, and NO DONUT! I am extremely satisfied with my light.
Jay

cbxer55

Enlightened
Mine has worked flawlessly ever since I got it. No problems with clickie, no donut hole, freat white light. Ever so slight flicker between settings 4 and 5, only if turning ridiculously slow.

Last edited:

lightmeup81

Newly Enlightened
I wonder, should this thread be made a sticky? so when people come here they can see it right away, to get faster results?

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Voted 'slight problems'. For me a slight donut is seen against a white wall, slight tint of green, but not noticable in everyday use. Switch can be finiky, but it only happened a few times.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
13% had huge problems at one time or another. That's gotta be expensive for SureFire, and therefore for us.

Scott

faco

Enlightened
My U2 has no problems whatsoever, pure white beam, switch works as it should & donut is hardly visible and only on a white wall. I'm Happy :)

faco