Cave exploration in Iowa-June 10 (would like to start a list)

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I've been reading a little about cave exploration and it sounds pretty cool. I've been to a hand full of guided cave tours that are all lit up, most down in Missouri. I've allways been fascinated with caves and see that there are some people on here that explore caves on their own. I didn't even know that you could go check out caves without a guided tour. I still need to do alot of reading about this but would love to organize some kind of cave exploration here in Iowa. Don't really have time to travel right now. I'm in Cedar Rapids and I see there are some caves up in Maquoketa, iowa. Its the Maquoketa Caves State Park and on the website, it says they aren't lit up and to bring a flashlight:) I know there aren't many people from Iowa on here but I'd like to find out if anyone, anywhere would be interested in doing this? I would like to find atleast one person who has done this before and would like to come. I'm thinking this summer sometime if everything works out. Just trying to see if this brings up any interest. Not sure what equipment I would need to get but I'm going to do some more reading and see if this seems like a good idea.

Last edited:

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Cave exploration in Iowa

Hi,

I've been in just about every inch of the Maquoketa Caves (above water) and they can be a fun adventure. Most of the caves are a fairly tight squeeze in places, so think thin in your clothing. However, there are also some nice large caves that you can just stroll right trough like taking a walk in the park.

The only caution I will give is to be aware of the weather. Since you live in Iowa, you know how fast a thunder storm can show up, and how much rain those suckers can drop in a very short time. The caves are an aqueduct system, so guess where all that rain water will go. We've had to really run and crawl fast in the past when all of a sudden water starts pouring in from everywhere.

But for the most part, the Park is nice and quiet and the caves a good explore. On a hot summer day the Ice Cave is always a good destination for some nice cool air and a break from the heat.

I think the caves would make a great Summer camp out, especially since flashlights are definitely required.

Do you have a date in mind?

Lambda

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

When you do get a chance to travel again and want to hit near by show caves you should head over to Wisconsin and the Cave of the Mounds. I make it a point to visit nearby show caves too and used to live in wisconsin :) It's a great tour and so strange to find it just sitting in the middle of Wisconsin.

Now I only live a days drive from Mammoth caves, so I'll be making that pilgrimage some day soon.

bring extra batteries, dont go under water, and do whatever your experienced caver guide guy tells you to do!

Aaron1100us

Enlightened

I don't really have a date yet since I just thought this up and wasn't sure if anyone else would be interested. If I can get some people lined up to do this, I might try to find out what date would work best for everyone. Winsconsin isn't far away and could probably be doable too. Not sure if this would be a one day or weekend adventure. Would like to camp up there overnight too. Anyone interested? I know its Iowa but it would still be fun:)

CLHC

Flashaholic

Caving eh? Sure sounds fun. JTICE does that on a regular basis.

Enjoy!

RalphRussell

Newly Enlightened

I might be interested depending on when you plan it for and if I could get my son (age 14) to go along. I'm not all that far away (Minnesota). Although since I quit smoking, I'm not so thin any more. Narrow passages and crawling may be a problem for me.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened

Cool, sounds like there might be a little interest:) I was thinking about when to do this and thought either the beginning part of June, end of July, August or even September. I my wife is due on July 1st so I won't be able to go too far from home around that time. Other than that, I'm pretty open and can usually get time off a atleast a couple weeks in advance. I still need to talk it over with the wife to see if we have any other plans this summer (that I don't know of) :)
Anyone else interested?

Aaron1100us

Enlightened

Thanks:) Yeah, first part of June would probably be a good idea. Gives me a couple of months to get supplies and to plan this.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened

I think I might post something again when the time comes closer. Please feel free to reply to this thread too. I hope I can get atleast a little group together. Thanks

RalphRussell

Newly Enlightened

I don't think June will work for me. I'm starting a two week camping journey to the east coast on June 10th. July, Aug, Sept would work better for me. This would be a great way to justify having bought those expensive flashlights!
yellowlaugh.gif

Sturluson

Enlightened

Aaron, if you're keeping a list of people who might be interested pending more details, put me on it. I live in Missouri, so the distance isn't too bad.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened

Ok, thanks. I wish I could go after July but with the newborn, it probably won't be easy to do that. Sturluson, I'll make a list and put you on it, thanks. Anyone no what kind of gear will be needed (besides lights:)? I did just buy a Princton Tec Apex today, YAY:) Hope to have an X990 by then too if I can save up enough money. Dought I'll need it but would be cool.

Orbit

Enlightened

hmmm....i'll check my calandar....would you be intrested in having an aussie come? i promise to bring my now water proof 35 and 50watt HID's....only got 6 though....think you'll be able to share?

Aaron1100us

Enlightened

You'd seriously come to Iowa from down under? Only 6 HID's? Anyone who wants to come is welcome. I'm thinking the first or second weekend in June? Mayby have a rain date too. I've never been to these caves so I'm not sure what they are like. Hope they aren't dissapointing.

Orbit

Enlightened

bugga, i miss read and thought you were going in july....my bad, yeah i have a few weeks holidays it would have een nice to catch up and eet a few of you guys, hit up hawaii and tonga on the way back. good luck with the baby, hope it all goes well for you. now i'll have to hike all on my own lol.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened

Thanks. yeah, that would have been cool for you to come up here. Maybe it will work out sometime in the future. I'd sure love to go down to Australia sometime. Dought I'll ever get a chance though:(

gessner17

Enlightened

I'd go as long as it was on a weekend, I have been to Maquokata caves many times, there are some nice places to explore. I wouldn't recomend bringing your prized light though....lots of sandy dirt..hehe :) I will also vouch for Cave of the mounds, very nice place. There is one week where they celebrate something and its a "flashlight only" walk, I just happen to go there that day and my tristar phazer was quite the popular light, made the guides maglite look pretty crappy. I have been wanting to go here http://www.karstpreserve.com/
I believe they have semi guided tours a couple times a year, they train you and provide equipment. Its just over the border in MN.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened

Yeah, it will be on a weekend. Not sure if its going to be a one or two day thing. Depends on what everyone wants to do. I love camping so I'm up for an over nighter if anyone else wants to. Yeah, maybe we could have a get together and do the caves up in minnesota later this summer or early fall this year. I'm thinking the first weekend of June.