viable Arc AAA alternatives besides LOP?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've decided I need a brighter keychain light. My first thought is to get a Fenix LOP and run rechargeables AAA's but still it seems to have not so good regulation although I guess neither does the Arc AAA although it does better with lithiums.

Am I missing out on other alternatives? I really would like to keep it AAA and maybe a little better then an hour runtime? I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too concerning brightness vs. runtime.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I just received my Peak Matterhorn single snow-white LED AAA yesterday. I got the High version rather than the Ultra. I think you would want the Ultra for sure but it still might not be bright enough for you. Runtime is huge though and the light is very well made and up until the Fenix price drop was considerably less expensive even paying the $5 extra for Ultra output. You can get extra bodies and different LED heads too. I'm very satisfied.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto on the Peak.

I purchased the Hi-Power varient, Snow 3LED.

It for sure is brighter than the Arc, and also white as can be. No ringy thingys, without the varying colors nichias are infamous for.

randyo

Enlightened
Get a Peak Matterhorn High-Power single LED (cheaper than Ultra) then send it off to MillerMods for conversion to 3/4 Watt Luxeon 2-stage. More than 1 hour run time in high power and much much more in low power mode.
You can do this to an ARC as well, but he prefers to work with the older mode ARC-AAA due to slightly larger reflector.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
To date, the Peak Pacific is the third player, beside Arc AAA and L0P. Hopefully this year we are going to see a multi-level keychain light from somebody, and not only in limited quantity from our modders...

Last week I bought the $5 AAA keychain light that Lighthound has on his site, and for the price paid is fenomenal. I may post a full review next month.

Anthony

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
JohnK said:
Ditto on the Peak.

I purchased the Hi-Power varient, Snow 3LED.

It for sure is brighter than the Arc, and also white as can be. No ringy thingys, without the varying colors nichias are infamous for.

I second that vote

Been using my Snow29 3 LED version on lithium AAA cells and get 2+ months of use out of one battery. Soon my Fire~Fly III will arrive and I'll give it a shot for a keychain light, if it is too large... I will throw the Snow29 Matterhorn back on.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too like the Peak mattie lug body ultra Po.My single LED puts out bright white light, and imho the best build quality of the popular AAA lights.VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ray_of_Light said:
To date, the Peak Pacific is the third player, beside Arc AAA and L0P. Hopefully this year we are going to see a multi-level keychain light from somebody, and not only in limited quantity from our modders...

Last week I bought the $5 AAA keychain light that Lighthound has on his site, and for the price paid is fenomenal. I may post a full review next month.

Anthony

Looks neat. You wouldn't happen to own the arc clone light to compare it to
possably? VDG

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greg,
the light sold from John is 14 mm diameter (the Arc AAA is 12.5) and is 74 mm long (the Arc is 71 mm).
It is a little bigger. Plus, the switch is in the tail, not in the head.
The LED is one of those 26K mcd driven at 40 mA.

Hope this helps

Anthony