How do I remove waterdrop from inside lens?

shu

Newly Enlightened
I find some waterdrop being inside the lens of my light.:mecry:
My China light can not open the head.
How do I remove waterdrop from inside lens?

Thanks

shu

Newly Enlightened
Hi, CHC

I have 3W - HY - SWAT Tactical from Dae.
I can not open the head.

Thanks

KSH92474

Newly Enlightened
perhaps a hair dryer on the flashlight head? i don't know if the heat would damage the LED's though

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have an oven that can be adjusted very low, set it to 100 or 125 F (38 to 52 C). Take the light apart as far as you can and place it on a rack far from the heating element. It might take a day or two to drive all the water vapor out. Be careful never to leave the heated oven unattended, and do not let the heat get very high.

It works by causing the water to evaporate. The water vapor molecules will get to a high concentration inside the head and find their way out by diffusion.

Scott

shu

Newly Enlightened
HI, KSH92474
I tried the hair drier. It was clear when hot. However, if it gets cold, waterdrop will appear again.
Thanks,

Hi, beezaur
It will not be separated from oven. I am not so patient.
Thanks,

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could also get a vacuum desiccator (try eBay). That also drives the water to vapor, allowing it to diffuse out. It might be faster.

Scott

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think bezaur method is right on the money, no need to try ebay, just go to Wal Mart electronics department and ask for some, they have penty from the stuff they unpack they should give it to you for free, stuff as many as you can into the body and leave it in the sun for a while.

AlexGT

JonL

Newly Enlightened
Shu,

Is it an actual water drop, or is it a water mark (stain)?

changsn

Newly Enlightened
AlexGT said:
I think bezaur method is right on the money, no need to try ebay, just go to Wal Mart electronics department and ask for some, they have penty from the stuff they unpack they should give it to you for free, stuff as many as you can into the body and leave it in the sun for a while.

What is being described above is not a vacuum desiccator, but may work. It involves getting little bags of desiccant (usually silica or alumina). These bags absorb moisture, so if you get them and put them in the body of the light and then put the light in a warm spot (oven or in the sun) then the desiccant will slow pull the water out of the head.
The vacuum desiccator suggestion is also a great one, but you need both the desiccator and a vacuum pump - the latter which is not readily available in homes. If you know someone who works in a chemistry lab or other type of lab, they may be able to help you. This may require some care if the head is water tight- pulling a vacuum on something which is sealed could result in an unexpected result...like the o ring blowing.
Sam

Luna

Enlightened
Heat it up til evaps and then suck from the back end. Sounds funny but Ive used this for Ultrastinger/mag heads that have a bit of moisture in them.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luna said:
Heat it up til evaps and then suck from the back end. Sounds funny but Ive used this for Ultrastinger/mag heads that have a bit of moisture in them.

"HOTLIPS" !!!

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
changsn said:
The vacuum desiccator suggestion is also a great one, but you need both the desiccator and a vacuum pump - the latter which is not readily available in homes. . .

You can get the pumps on eBay too. Look for hand pumps.

For example:

http://stores.ebay.com/Scientific-E...cators_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ9QQftidZ2QQtZkm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vacuum-Hand-Ope...601982344QQcategoryZ46548QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That is sort of an expensive way to do it though. Gentle heat and a little suction works great. I have dried out complicated lab glassware by running hot water through it and then sucking room air through using a tube. (I have no idea how else you would dry out a condenser.)

Scott

Moonknight

Newly Enlightened
Maybe you can try getting a ziplock bag + a can of silica gel. Place the silical gel and your lights into the ziplock bag and seal it. :naughty: