Need thrower in "3-D" size

wmirag

Enlightened
A friend of mine asked me to suggest a "3-D" sized light that could illumintae objects at 50 yards. He wants a lot of power and at least an hour's run time. He's willing to pay $300 for such a light.

Unfortunately I couldn't help since my interest is keychain and pocket lights.

Can anyone suggest a production light with these specs?

Thanks,

W.

InfidelCastro

Banned
3D Maglite has a 10 hour runtime. Put a xenon bulb in it and you should be good to go. If he wants a high powered light, he could try something like a Mag85 which is a bunch of rechargeable AA's in place of 3D's for running a higher voltage bulb. I think some of the Mag mods get over an hour of runtime, depending on which bulb you go with.

onlinewarlord

Newly Enlightened
Magcharger. Drop in a WA1160 bulb for extra zing. Run time might be an issue with the high power bulb but extra battery packs are cheap.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Dorcy Super 1-watt. This is a great light for the money, good throw and great runtime. No need to spend $300.00.

VWTim

Enlightened
Sounds like if he's willing to spend that much money he wants a LOT of light. Something like a Mag85 with a light stiple reflector or a Magcharger60 would do the trick.

DaveG

Enlightened
One more vote for the Dorcy 3d led,some Target stores have them on close out prices now,he will have plenty of money left from that $300. to get something else if he does not like it.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the 3D size category, the two lights that stand out would be the Streamlight SL-20X (now replaced with SL-20X-LED) and the Mag Charger. Both have a list price of about $125 and are available from various retail and online sources for about $70-90. Both have been standards in public safety usage for decades and run time for both are about 1.5 hours. Coincidentally both of the use the same sized rechargeable battery (SL20X and Mag Charger).

wmirag said:
A friend of mine asked me to suggest a "3-D" sized light that could illumintae objects at 50 yards. He wants a lot of power and at least an hour's run time. He's willing to pay $300 for such a light.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know you asked for 3-D but how about a great 3-C thrower- the LEDBeam? I picked one up a couple of months ago and love it. Throws and throws and is around $25 shipped.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
50 yards is kind of pushing it with the LEDBeam unless you're in total darkness, but it's a great light for the money.

Chronos said:
I know you asked for 3-D but how about a great 3-C thrower- the LEDBeam? I picked one up a couple of months ago and love it. Throws and throws and is around $25 shipped.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Well yeah, sure...

I was thinking only in terms of D Alkaline batteries. But a M*gcharger IS 3D size. And even a stock bulb MC will do 50 yds EASY.

I've never actually checked runtime on a 3D. But it almost CAN'T be as bright for a whole hour. With Nicad or NimH it would be possible I reckon.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
For that money, you can get three stock Magchargers or Ultrastingers. With upgraded batteries you could probably get a couple hours out of it. The ultimate would be a Magcharger with an upgraded battery pack (maybe an hour with the new bulb) and a WA1160, or a WA1185 bulb with AA converter and new charger. You could still get a couple for $300.

If he's just looking for a decent flashlight the LED models mentioned would be OK. But if you really want a lot of light there's no substitute for high-end.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Magcharger with 1160 won't quite run an hour.

Tigerlight with Gen4 lamp assembly is another option.

OR Mag85 with two battery packs!! Still well under $300!!

Bill

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest a Mag85 using one of FiveMega's 9 14500 holders. It should get plenty of run time with minimal dimming. Make sure to use protected cells with that one!

wquiles

Flashaholic
Wouldn't the SF M6 with the MN20 (right at $300-$305) be decent enough at 50Yds (about 300 b-lumens), and have about 1 hour runtime? That would be my pick, but I am partial to this particular combo ;)

Will

Delvance

Enlightened
Can always custom build a light for him ? At $300 you have alot of options...

My ROP goes for an hour and kills 50yards, with output at the level of a topshelf M@g85. It's got 4 18650s in a bored 3D host and the Peli high bulb. Chuck in a low for several hours and it will still slay 50 yards.
Look at the WA1111 lamp as well, pretty bright and i think it doesn't draw much current so should be very easy to come up with a config in 3D for over an hour.

Or you could always buy one of those Mini HIDs! Or even a 35W HID light for a little over his budget i think.

CLHC

Flashaholic
There's also the DR1 and DR2 from Vortex Vision in the 3-D sized form factor, and it's rechargeable! It runs for roughly two (2) hours. The manufacture claims that the approximate beams distance to be 1200 meters with a Lumen rating of 220. It's an intersting light that I may get.

DreamScape

Enlightened
Another vote to start with a Magcharger.
Stock form will impress compared to a normal 3D!
Add a WA1160 with just less than half run time, even more impressive.

Then if more light required move on to the ROP or Mag85.

metalhed

Enlightened
I'd suggest a Nuwai TM801X-3. They are still available at Amondo Tech for only $75.00. Three 3 Watt Luxeons, each with individual reflector. The switch lets you use one, two, or all three LEDS.

In the stock, 3D configuration, it puts out well under the claimed 240 lumens (or whatever the number was.) By substituting 4 C cells in place of the 3 D's, you get much closer to the rated output, albeit with shorter run time. Left stock you'll get about three hours on high. With rechargeable C NIMHs you still get might get an hour and a half (just a guess.)

When they first hit the market, some folks didn't like the tint of some of the LEDs, but with all three LEDs lit, the tint is white and clean. The reflectors give a well focused beam, and it easily throws 50 yards...probably more like 75.

I hope I don't sound like some kind of salesman pitching this light, but I own one and can't understand why folks have avoided them. They really are decent lights for the money.

If you are interested in a custom light that will make the Nuwai look like a cheap penlight in comparison, check out some of cmacclel's MiniHIDs.