Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the G&P 3W drop in....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally had to admit defeat about finding a LED assembly that will fit into the stock bezel OTHER than the G&P 3W. I love my KL3 head, but it seems like modding it is a little out of my league. I've heard some good things about it so I decided to give it a shot. I've seen a few pics of people modding it as well. Seems like it would be better to try modding on that than trying to crack open my pretty KL3 head.

Anyway, is there anything I should know about it?

I'd LOVE to get a McLuxIII PD ... but $$$$

Last edited:

Topper

Flashaholic*
What are you putting it in and where did you buy it? The only thing I know is that some do not work in a G2 unless you order one for it. It may or may not be a factor for you.
Topper :)

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to put it in my C2, but it may end up in my G2. I got mine from lighthound. I've got a McE2s two stage tailcap on the way for my C2. I guess I'll see what I'll do with it when it gets here....

Topper

Flashaholic*
OK if you are getting it from Lighthound then you should be good in either light. I use a Pila 168s to power mine works great for me. I think you will be happy with it.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would you gauge it against a KL3 if you have one, or a P60? I know the KL3 will crush it in throw, I'm just looking for a comparison. I've looked at flashlightreviews.coms' review of it and it seems like its nice.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Re G&P 3W drop-in and SureFire G2:

The G&P 3W drop-in module is the same product as the BugOutGear 3W drop-in module. There is a good description of how to use it in a G2 on FlashlightReviews.com: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gp_p60lux3.htm

If this lamp assembly is to be used in the G2, it requires a second larger spring to insure ground path between the lamp assy, and the metal sleeve in the body. G&P makes their drop-in modules with and without the extra spring. If you want the option of putting the module in your G2, either order it with the spring and keep it (the extra spring) in your flashlight drawer until you need it, or try to obtain it after the fact. I'm unsure if you can get the spring alone from a G&P vendor. If you just ordered it today, call or email the vendor asap and change your order to the G2 compatible module.
Bernie

Topper

Flashaholic*
I will have to look and see. I have a regular old style KL3, a modded by Chop KL3 (old style) and a new KL3. I guess you meen the New style KL3 and of course I got P60's laying around all over the place. It may be a day or so before I can get back on this but I will check it out for you. Just off the top of my head I can tell you I use my G2Z with the drop in more than the rest. I love my "Chop mod" but its kinda special and the old model standard KL3 is no match for a drop in or a P60....unless long runtime is the gameplan.
I go for brighter mostly.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could ask Chop if he wanted to take a look at your KL3 head. It's a new gen one right? Should be lots of room for large reflector like the McR27mm or maybe bigger? Who knows he might just open it up and take a look at what he can do with the new ones for no charge and put it back and send it too you if you don't want it modded. Just a suggestion. That and I want to see if they can be easily modded with a drop in reflector! :)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a KL3 but I've been thinking of getting one since it can be run on 2 LiON cells... I've always thought the numbers were a bit odd from Quickbeams page... The KL3 has almost twice the throw of the stock BOG/G&P module but the BOG/G&P has 40% more total output.

In subjective terms, how does the current KL3 compare to the current KL1? Is the hotspot on the KL3 really that much tighter as the brightness vs throw numbers would indicate?

Topper

Flashaholic*
Well Im back already, you lucked out KDOG3 I was able to round up my KL3 (the newer model) on a Z2 body a G2Z with P60 and a 3watt dropin in a G2Z.
I took the cells out and handed them to my son and one of his pals and proceeded to load all three with new 123's no pila 168s involved as the P60 won't run right on one. I cut them loose out side after a very quick terminology sermon (spill, hotspot and throw) nothing hi Tech. They "tested the lights" (or played around till they got cold). They both thought the P60 was OK but did not have the Throw of the other 2 lights. They both liked the 3watt dropin for best use.....Unless you were using it on a rifle. The KL3 had the most throw but little side spill = not good to run around with or you might step onto or into something. But better if you just wanted to reach out and hit a tree. Not bad for a couple non flashlight kids. I hoped that helped.
Cratz2.. Heck you go ask them if they want to run outside and play some more. I got a KL1 and just up close wall shots the KL3 is tighter and brighter...at least mine is.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Topper said:
OK if you are getting it from Lighthound then you should be good in either light. I use a Pila 168s to power mine works great for me. I think you will be happy with it.
I run mine (upgraded to UX1L) from a fat 18650 cell - awesome ;)

Will

Topper

Flashaholic*
I have no doubt jcciv will do you right.
oh I want to point out that the rifle comment was an air soft rifle not a real gun. Don't want anyone thinking I turned kids out with flashlights and a real gun, even in Arkansas; in town that would be a bad thing.

USARSHOE

Newly Enlightened
I have a G&P 3w drop-in currently in a SF G2. It rides very nicely in the luminator pocket of a CC BOB. I think that the LED makes the G2 an even more practical light. Just be sure to check the instructions on installation as you have to move the small wire washer in order to have the LED work in the G2.

jarobi

Enlightened
The units from LightHound ship with a small ring in a groove around the body of the module. It is a contact ring, and can be used for the G2; pop it out of the groove and drop it in, then install the module. A spring is not needed. I didn't notice the ring was there until I went a bought a spring and bent & cut it to fit, after posting here (*ahem* Newbitis *ahem*). Some G2's will work without the contact ring. One of mine did, but not the one I bought the thing for. Even if you have to use the ring, the bezel will screw all the way to the body. Quickbeam's review on his site has most of this info, IIRC. I am very happy with the output and runtime of the G&P drop-in.

smoking

Newly Enlightened
i 'm using the g&p 3 watt drop in led on a 6P. i like the spot and side spill. things that i don't like- it heats up a bit in about 5 mins and i had to remove the sticker around the lamp assembly to fit in the 6p original bezel. other than that i am very happy with it. worth paying for it.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to add to the complements.

I recieved my G&P drop in today, had a bit of a fiddle to fit the ring for my G2 but now is installed and very happy.

It seems to be a perfect partner for the G2, I'll have to get a different housing for the old P60 assembly.

... Just a little orange juice...