• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Custom Maglite Tri/Quad LuxIII 9-12 watts from 1or2 (9-12Ah) NIMH D cells (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm taking orders for the Tri-Lux 2D for $125 each and the Quad-lux 2D for $150. I turn around orders for these in about 2-3 weeks. Only 2 batteries to mess with and everybit of the power you'd expect out of a Tri/Quad-lux mag.

It will not be a parallel Lux configuration. It will be using 3 or 4 separate drivers integrated on one driver board. This offers optimal efficiency and power distribution.

Running on 2 ordinary D Energizer alkalines, here we have photo's of my first prototype in action. This particular set-up is running 1 watt to each Lux. The Triplex driver draws a constant 1.9 amps from the cells (I will set this much higher for the 9 watt version). Man, it's hard to believe how much light I'm getting out 2 ordinary alk's!

These pic's compare it to the stock fenix L1P. I know there's no comparision between the two; I just want to show the magnitude of difference.

Here's some more pics.

More photo's of beam shots of 2 other configurations against the Maglite brand drop-in Luxeon LED can be viewed here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/121171

A 1 watt R-bin is 45 Lumens typical; not lower than 39.8 and not more than 51.7 lumens. For a total of 135 lumens typical for 3X1 watt.

A 3 watt T-bin is 77 lumens typical; not lower than 67.2 and not more than 87.4 lumens. For an average of 77.2 lumens for a single 3 watt Luxeon.

So it's almost double the efficiency than running one 3 watt Lux. :)

BTW, these drivers are at about 85% efficiency in this configuration.

The 2D cell version will be available in the following set-ups:

-Tri-lux at 1 watt per lux (3 watts total with ~135 lumens output); can use regular alkalines and has a 7 hour runtime with NIMH cells and down by 20% at the seventh hour. (This is an estimate).
-Tri-lux at 2 watts per lux (6 watts total with ~195 lumens output); 3 hour runtime with NIMH cells and down by 20% at the third hour. (This is an estimate).
-Tri-lux at 3 watt per lux (9 watts total with ~250 lumens output); 2 hour runtime with NIMH cells and down by 20% at the second hour. (This is an estimate).
-Quad-lux at 3 watts per lux (12 watts total with ~320 lumens output with T-bins and 400+/- with U-bins); 1.5 hours runtime with NIMH cells and down by 20% at the 1.5 hour mark. ( runtime charts for this mod are posted in this thread).

The 1D cell version will be available in the following set-ups:

-Tri-lux at 1 watt per lux (3 watts total with ~135 lumens output); 3.5 hour runtime with a NIMH cell and down by 20% after 3.5 hours. (This is an estimate).
-Tri-lux at 2 watts per lux (6 watts total with ~195 lumens output); 1.5 hour runtime with a NIMH cell and down by 20% after 1.5 hours. (This is an estimate).
-Quad-lux at 2 watts per lux (8 watts total with ~280 lumens using U-bin lux III's or S-bin lux I's).

Last edited:

ddaadd

Enlightened
Re: Coming soon...2D mag Tri-lux (9 watts) using 2 (9-12Ah) NIMH D cells w/2hr runtim

Hey I like the sound of that, will it be complete except for batteries? Them K2's ought to be showing up sometime soon I would hope also. Regardless please consider me in for one of these. Have you decided how much current to run yet? A little overdrive perhaps? :grin2:

gl22man

Enlightened
Re: Coming soon...2D mag Tri-lux (9 watts) using 2 (9-12Ah) NIMH D cells w/2hr runtim

I would be in for one of these but was wondering if there are any special colored mags in 2d? I mean like orange or lime green something along those lines..
Edit to add i will take 1 9 watt 2D tri-lux and 1 6 watt 1d tri-lux as well as 3 of the 12 ah nihm batteries...
Mike.....

Last edited:

Flash007

Enlightened
Re: Coming soon...2D mag Tri-lux (9 watts) using 2 (9-12Ah) NIMH D cells w/2hr runtime.

If you use the best Luxeon available (bin and tint) with a very good regulation for minimum 90 minutes, I certainly buy one !
Before, need to see beamshots and runtime plot.

Does the 2 D batteries included with the package ?
I pay extra charge for high capacity batteries off course, if needed.

I have for the moment 4.9 Ah Philips Ni-CD D batteries.
Here in Europa, I can buy Ansmann 8.000 mAh D batteries, but I have seen Maha Powerex 11.000 mAh in the U.S, wich are supposed to be very good.

What do you think ?

Flash007

Enlightened
Re: Coming soon...2D mag Tri-lux (9 watts) using 2 (9-12Ah) NIMH D cells w/2hr runtime.

Maybe we must wait the K2 Lux, wich are supposed to be a little more efficient than LuxIII.

Does someone know when they will be available (april, may ?)

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can run as much as 4 watts to each lux with my present design, but I will be able to achieve 5 watts of drive to each lux with different inductors. The current draw from the cells would go like this: 4.5 Amps for 3 watts to each lux, 6 Amps for 4 watts to each lux, and 7.5 Amps for 5 watts to each lux.

I would only use good tint Luxes for these, such as TX0x, TWOx, or TX1x. The batteries cost about $10 each and they are not included in the price I stated. I'll see about buying these batteries in bulk and getting the price down and also find a suitable charger to offer with them.

I will also include an AR coated mineral glass lens.

Last edited:

photorob

Enlightened

Id be interested if they were K2's

Leef

Enlightened

Eric, I might be a customer. :grin2: Keep us apprised of the specs.

BeamJunkie

Newly Enlightened

Sounds like a perfect flashlight for a pre-flighting pilot. FAA requires us to have a 2 D Cell flashlight (a little outdated concept in flashlights) and there's just not enough quality lights out there in that configuration other than a standard Mag. I'd be very interested. Keep the stats and info coming.

Flash007

Enlightened

We must to see how elevation in current affect the light intensity.

Better is to have a good compromise between light intensity/runtime.

90 minutes minimum with full regulation is OK for me (with 11.000 mAh batteries).

Concerning the optics, what type of collimating lens do you think to use with the LuxIII?
Large, medium, narrow beam ?
50% throw and 50% sidespill I think is useful.

I consider my Inova T4 as a medium thrower, not bad at all, but sidespill is zero !

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will use IMS SO20XA reflectors. If someone has a better choice, let me know.
I also want to do a Tri-lux 1 cell 3 watt mod (1 watt to each RXOH lux). With a 130 lumens output and a runtime of 3 to 4 hours! Now that's cool ey?

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast

MillerMods said:
I also want to do a Tri-lux 1 cell 3 watt mod (1 watt to each RXOH lux). With a 130 lumens output and a runtime of 3 to 4 hours! Now that's cool ey?
off of one NIMH D cells (1.2v)?

Led_Blind

Enlightened

Ok, i think i will be interested n one of these as well :| there goes the bank ballance

Flash007

Enlightened

MillerMods said:
I will use IMS SO20XA reflectors. If someone has a better choice, let me know.

Yes it's a great project ! If we can have comparison with pictures of the two lights, plus beamshots and runtime plot, we can decide wich choose.

The two projects are very interesting, no doubt.

Flash007

Enlightened

IMS SO20XA : is it 20 mm refelector ?
If yes, very good compromise between throw and sidespill.

130 lumens from 3 RXOH, is this minimum or typical lumen ?
Same thing about 3 lux 3W, how much lumens at minimum (not typical) can we expect ?

Lunarmodule

Enlightened

I'm definitely interested. Forget the K2 wait. Knowledgeable sources tell me the differential will be negligible for all practical purposes especially with the current availablility of current known qualities like the TX0H, TW0H, RY0H. Low Vf and X0, W0, Y0 tints and you cant go wrong! I really look forward to this coming together.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast

MillerMods said:

so your goin run 3 x LuxI on 1.2v! nice!
thats gotta be one hell of a boost driver!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.