Pea Soup with a side of BEAM sHOTs!

mdocod

Flashaholic
I was so excited driving home form work tonight, farther into the forest the fog just kept getting thicker and thicker, I was already having fun pointing my ultrafire out the window as I drove along... Got home, and went straight for the camera, gathered up some lights and had some fun!....

here's a shot of a riverrock 2xAA with optics:
riverrock1.jpg

Some LEDBeam shots:
ledbeam2.jpg

ledbeam1.jpg

Ultrafire 4 cell (2x17670>Pathfinder P90)
pathfinder2.jpg

and of cource: plenty of shots of the thor..
thor9.jpg

thor8.jpg

thor7.jpg

thor6.jpg

thor5.jpg

thor4.jpg

thor3.jpg

thor2.jpg

thor1.jpg

I hope everyone enjoys these as much as I do!, Beamshots rock!

Last edited:

igabo

Enlightened
Re: Pea Soup with a side of BEAMs HOTs!

Indeed they do. How long did you set exposure time? What was ISO? Any special effects? :drool:

mdocod

Flashaholic

accept my apologies- I don't know much about cameras/photography... not sure what ISO is...

I do understand exposure time and it's effects on gathering light... these shots were all done with a Kodak Easyshare DX6340 3.1MP digicam... I used the "PAS" option for access to manual settings and adjusted exposure between 2 and 4 seconds. Most of the Thor shots are 2 seconds, while the others are mostly 4 seconds. No special effects. Only adjustment made was on the river rock photo- used photoshop to modify the levels a bit to make the beam slightly easier to see.. all the others have no post-adjustments at all, just a resize and jpg compression.

drizzle

Enlightened

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. I'm now going to be watching for foggy nights.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some of the nicest beam shots I ve ever seen. Really lovely when you captured the light ray. :goodjob:

mdocod

Flashaholic

How cold was it at the time?

hovering around freezing outside tonight.

Some of the nicest beam shots I ve ever seen.

thankyou very much!!! To be honest- like I said above, i'm not very "good" at this stuff, I just tinker with the settings on our cheap old digicam and have fun. Tri-pod is a must for long exposure (found out the hard when I first tried beamshots awhile back)... I really suprized myself with how well these came out, the detail is awsom, and the beams are beautiful, couldn't ask for more- the cool thing is that they actually looked very similar to this in person.

My favorites are the ones of the thor from far away.

AA89GTA

Newly Enlightened

WOW! Those are some really nice shots! That one big light, the thor, looks like something off of an alien spacecraft or something. I think I would *S* my pants if I happened to come upon that light while walking through a dark forest.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

mdocod -

Beeeautiful!

You modded it with four other lights?

Very nice shots.

SCblur

Enlightened

Those are some of the coolest beamshots I've ever seen, very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

mdocod said:
yea... MR16 track lighting... the thread about the mod is over in the Spotlight section..... https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/110971 and the picts can be found in the second link in my sig. I love my thor so much more after doing this mod.

That's freaking awesome! Auxillerly lights on a Thor.
I like the green light coming from the background in some of the Thor pics. Sort of spooky loking.

kbog

Newly Enlightened

Those are some very fun and informative shots. The Thor looks so intimidating from behind with those little track lights growing off of it.

Well done.

:goodjob:

Timson

Enlightened

Great shots,

You're right about needing to use a tripod with high exposure times.

I had a go a few nights ago and had a world of trouble with camera shake.

Next time its foggy I'm off out into the woods where there's next to no ambient light with a selection of flashlights and a tripod :)

Tim.

Navck

Enlightened

mdocod said:
yea... MR16 track lighting... the thread about the mod is over in the Spotlight section..... https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/110971 and the picts can be found in the second link in my sig. I love my thor so much more after doing this mod.

Tron3's poll of "did you ever put a smaller flashlight on a bigger flashlight", right?

Razor

Newly Enlightened

Great shots, mdocod. I keep thinking that Thor looks like a big dive light, with it's four little auxilary lights poking out of it. It'd look perfectly at home with a scuba diver behind it.

As for your other photobucket link, where you had a gazillion smaller lights strapped onto the Thor, it gave me a really good laugh. I don't know why I find it so funny; maybe just the shear over-the-top-ness of it I guess.

WNG

Enlightened

WOW!!!
Great photos!

We need to start grouping all the beamshot photos in one sticky thread, kinda like Carrot's great flashlight stories thread.

Thanks for the shots, Thor hybird blew me away.

"must find me a Thor....who needs groceries."

mdocod

Flashaholic

We need to start grouping all the beamshot photos in one sticky thread

A beamshots sticky would be awsom. would be neat to have a place to post all beamshots- but the thread would result in exploding 56k modems.

The more I look at these beamshots, The more excited I get, I want to make more, play more with the camera, try different angles. Really hoping we get more fog sometime soon. It's pretty rare here around colorado springs, probably only a few days a year with significant fog- the fog that night only lasted a few hours, and if I had been much later, I would have missed it, (disapated less than an hour after I finished taking picts).