Blood Sugar Testing Kits

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
My wife has this rather large blood sugar testing kit that's several years old. I'm sure advances in technology have allowed the sized of these suckers to come down considerably. Do you folks who use these testers have any recommendations?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
this_is_nascar said:
My wife has this rather large blood sugar testing kit that's several years old. I'm sure advances in technology have allowed the sized of these suckers to come down considerably. Do you folks who use these testers have any recommendations?

See your Pharmacist, and check out which batteries they use too.

Very cheap here in UK they make their money on test strips and finger pricks.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Our drugstore has half a dozen brands and models. They range from dinky to the size of a pack of playing cards.

In many cases you can get the tester for almost free. They make their money off the test strips.

Many insurance companies pay for the test strips, so it may be a good idea to find out which ones they will give you before you pick a new model.

BTW, saw one at Safeway (grocery store with pharmacy) the other day that was pocket sized. Really, really small. I think it was disposable after 20 or 30 uses. The strips were included. Perfect for when you are traveling.

Daniel

Flame

Newly Enlightened
I use the One Touch Ultra meter which is pretty small. The entire nylon carry kit is about 3" x 5" x 1 1/2" and everything you need can be stored inside. The meter is only about 2 1/2" by 3/4". They make some smaller ones but I have had very good service out of my Ultra and have no need for anything smaller. My medical insurance, when I had it, would pay for one every year. As mentioned above you can get them for free sometimes because the make plenty of money off of the test strips and lancets.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mom had one you can connect to the computer and it gave an excell like spread sheet of the readings. I thought that was a nice feature, but shes not computer inclined.

I have some free one that uses coin batteries. I use to have one that took N batteries and it was always going dead and always going to radio shack for 4 new cells.

Unless they make one you dont have to stick yourself, I consider them about all the same.

K A

Enlightened
gadget_lover said:
BTW, saw one at Safeway (grocery store with pharmacy) the other day that was pocket sized. Really, really small. I think it was disposable after 20 or 30 uses. The strips were included. Perfect for when you are traveling.

Daniel

We have a disposable meter where I work (Osco Drugs) as well. It contains 50 test strips and the meter in a vial around the size of a plastic 35mm film container. The meter is the 'lid' of the vial with the strips inside.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using the Precision QID meter for at least 8 years and I'm still on the first battery. it is one of the units that requires the coding for each box of test strips. one of the new models requires no calibration beforehand. As far as prices go I cannot help you, Uncle Sugar provides me with all the necessities for blood testing.

nirad

Enlightened
I use the One Touch Ultra......it is small, simple, and easy to use. The software is free to dload from their website. I manually enter info in , beacause they charge you an arm and a leg to buy the com cable that goes with it.

**For anyone interested, I have a brand new One Touch "Ultrasmart" meter that is brand new in the box. This meter resembles a palm pilot , and does more things than your average meter. PM me with questions.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I'm using a ONETOUCH/ULTRASMART meter with matching test strips along with a 20 or show alcohol pads. For lancets I'm using one made byAccu-Chek which are kept in a small pill bottle. I keep all of this stuff in a Pelican model 1040 case, this baby is water and dust proof and can handle a lot of shock as well.

What I'm saying is I've never seen a kit per-say, this is something I've put together for me. This might work for the Mrs.

chiphead...Walking through life at DEFCON-3