Anyone filed with turbotax, any tips?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spent 217 last year at H&R block to get my taxes done. I had to pay extra since I was considered self employed from the money I earned on ad revenue from a website.

I decided to save some money and do it myself this year with the software. I bought the deluxe version as it had the se form I needed and came with state tax too. It was 53 dollars at walmart.

Anyway, sat down with it and answer lots of questions for 3 hours. I started off with a 900 something return estimate and ended up owing 133 bucks.

At the end the printer driver gave me an error, so I rebooted and it printed off from the saved copy. I got it ready to mail, signed, check included for state copy, the print outs from the info from my employers too.

One thing I find funny is the fact the due dates are in May and October for the state and fed returns. I know I can file electronically, but they wanted 15 bucks for both and 15 for 2 day fedex. I rather just buy a few stamps and wait for them to cash my check. No need in rushing that.

I had no deductions and it looks like one job deducted a lot where the other little to nothing, then the tax owed on the self employment thing. Surprised I managed to clear 17 grand. It said the average for this area was 23 grand.

Looks like it has a lot of good tools for advice on iras, 401ks, deductions, etc. If I get a job with benefits at all I am going to crunch the numbers.

changsn

Newly Enlightened
I used to use TurboTax, but switched to TaxCut. Don't think there is much difference between the two. Both do pretty good jobs and are much cheaper than a CPA or H&R in person. As long as you have your documentation, I don't think there is much to go wrong. I've been doing this for over 12 yrs and never had an audit or problem.
Like you, I still don't understand why the govt wants us to file electronically, yet CHARGES us to do so. I'll stick with stamps as well.
Sam

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
So e-file costs you? That's not cool. I'll be getting money back b/c I didn't work but 2 months this last year. I usualy telefile, which is no more. Guess I'll have to go and get the paper forms.

K A

Enlightened
Does E-File cost itself.. or is it simply the Companies preparing your taxes the ones charging a 'convenience' fee to e-file your taxes?

I have used Intuit's Tax Freedom Website to file my taxes for the last several years. Though with one exception I did use H & R Block's online system one year. If you meet their criteria you can have you Federal filed for free. Then I goto Kansas' website to file the State Income tax for free as well.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cobb, check this link out. You can probably efile for free though you owe so it may come in handy for someone else.
Make sure you read the fine print.
smile.gif

jeep44

Newly Enlightened
I've used Turbotax for the last 4 or 5 years,and it just mystifies me why anyone would still have their taxes done by someone else. I just did mine last night,and it took 2 hours start to finish. The slowest part for me was entering all the data from our W-2s (My wife had two this year). After that, it led me through all the deductions,including a few that I always forget about. I haven't tried e-filing yet, as I am in no hurry to pay,either.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
THanks.

Jeep44, I feel ashamed getting h&r do mines last year as I am a business student(DUCK). I just never could get to the post office or find the se form I needed online, and had other things to deal with. I made up my mind I werent doing it this year. Maybe next year I will fill out the form with my new glasses and save the 50 bucks for the software?