Mag85 questions

bexteck

Enlightened
I have a Mag85 with KIU's high temp socket kit and a bipin WA01185 bulb. The bulb tends to end up off center just from the flashlight being banged around a little bit, not hard at all, the socket just isn't holding it tight enough. Is there anything that I can do to keep it centered?

I also bought a LOP camless mag reflector with the .377 inch hole from a CPF member and it came with "focusing shims. They don't seem to be the right size to fit anywhere. Can anyone tell me where they are supposed to go and how to use them correctly?

Thanks

baylisstic

Enlightened
You don't need focussing shims on pi-bin bulb. You only need them on potted bulb on the stock bulb holder.

As for the bulb keep on moving around, try pushing the bulb all the way down. Also, make sure you don't use larger bi-pin bulb on the same kiu socket as the wa1185 bulb as it will loosen the holder.

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
While we are on Mag85 questions, I have a few.

My first one is this:

I have your basic Mag85, and though I am not sure which reflector I have, it seems to be an aftermarket item with some level of OP and the opening for the bulb is substantially larger than the diameter of the bulb. it works fine.

I also have a Mini Mag85 - one of the spiral jobs. It also has an aftermarket reflector, and the opening for the bulb is quite small. The bulb is not inclined to move smoothly through the opening. The first bulb I ran in the light shattered after ten seconds of run time. I installed a new bulb, and noted that as I tightened the head onto the body, the bulb resisted moving through the reflector opening, then popped through. It is working fine now, but I ask - is this normal, or do I have a problem with either the reflector on the Mini Mag85, or am I doing something wrong?

bexteck

Enlightened
baylisstic said:
You don't need focussing shims on pi-bin bulb. You only need them on potted bulb on the stock bulb holder.

As for the bulb keep on moving around, try pushing the bulb all the way down. Also, make sure you don't use larger bi-pin bulb on the same kiu socket as the wa1185 bulb as it will loosen the holder.

My bulb has a small bead of glass between the two pins which protrudes about a tenth of an inch and keeps the bulb from sitting down too far. I have thought about trying to break it off with some small pliers, but I don't want to damage the bulb

vacuum3d

Enlightened
The bi-pin should fit snugly inside the the ceramic socket unless...
1) you have fitted another bi-pin where the pins are thicker than that of the 1185;
2) or for whatever reason the metal inside the socket is stretched. The metal that catches the bi-pin are not spring loaded. They could be worn out if you've inserted the bi-pin in the socket repeatedly.

Either way, if bulb doesn't stay in the socket well, you could try to insert some of metal (aluminum foil, copper wire, etc...) inside the pin holes to see if the pins will stay better. If that fails, replace the ceramic socket. You did order extras from Kiu, right?

ernest

btw, don't try to break off the glass bead on the bulb base. If the socket is doing it's job, that little bead would not matter. If it bothers you that much, you could drill a small shallow hold in the middle of the socket.

Last edited:

bexteck

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I did order a second socket, which I will switch with the current one. I have a 12V 75W bi pin that I want to build a mod around. It has thicker pins and should work fine in the socket I am using now.

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened
If you have a spare bulb, try adding some solder to the pins of the bulb to increase their diameter. Be sure to use a high tempreture solder such as 2% silver bearing or 95%-100% tin.

Latest posts