Is it just me or is the optic in the KL3 and the Kroma the same....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I look at the picture of the Kroma and then at the front end of my KL3 Gen2 and I swear their the same thing. Am I right?

Luna

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
I look at the picture of the Kroma and then at the front end of my KL3 Gen2 and I swear their the same thing. Am I right?

Hard to say. Could be same shape but different material. The Kroma is supposed to be compose of a high refractive index material (as compared to optical grade acrylic) based on the chatter I've heard. If different materials (KL3 vs Kroma), the beam could be drastically different. The likes of Lumicera really increase the ability of small, fairly low cost, optics. Time for us to see some reviews!!!!

roguesw

Enlightened
Size15 mentioned that the Kroma he handled at the shoot show had a beam similar to 6p, great throw combined with flood.
if i remember correctly

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup Size15 said it had spill... KL3 does not. but there is a variation of the KL3 out now (new revision?) that has fresnel lines on it and gives it a wider beam. Not sure if this has as much spill as the kroma or not....

edison

Enlightened
It's a different optic, but definitely a similar design. The fact that it has 3mm LEDs ringed at the outside makes it a cinch. :)

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
For you american folks out there: Like comparing apples to oranges

For you Flashaholics: Dorcy cheapo 2 D light to a U2...

And for the Britts: It's all cheese to Chalk :)

Al,

Do you think that the K2 "appears" to have more power than the 60 lumen rating? I understand this is subjective but just trying to gague it.

Thank You!!!

Size15's said:
Chalk and cheese (different as) - two entirely opposed articles or people
To understand this comparison you need to think of a white, young cheese rather than a mature yellow one, and freshly gathered chalk, rather than something prepared for the blackboard. They can look very similar, but their taste and value are very different.
From: http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/sayingsc.htm