ARC 4+ or 4x vs HDS EDC 60XRGT

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
I want a new EDC light, and am trying to decide which to go with. The ARC 4+ is really nice but I have had a hard time finding one... Then there is the ARC 4x, which is the best of the best but just so expensive. I am leaning towards the HDS because of price. But I do like the design of the 4+ a lot better. What do you guys think?

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc 4s are long out of production, back before the original Arc company went kaput and the new one reformed (the new Arc only makes the AAA at the moment). The Arc 4 is mostly a collector's light now. The "replacement" is the HDS. Henry was the brains behind the Arc 4s, but he's got his own thing going now with HDS. The only light of this kind that's better than the U60XRGT is the soon-to-be-rereleased Ultimate 85 (and 85GT), which'll give you significantly longer runtimes than the 60XR/XRGT. More expensive though, and you'll have to wait a while longer.

I'll agree that the Arc 4's body design is better, if only because of the clip. My biggest beef with the HDS is that the clip isn't that great (seems like it was added as an afterthought). I'm still hoping to find an Arc 4 clip to use when I get an U85GT.

Last edited:

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Arc 4 has been competely reliable, switch included, and it's still my favorite light. HDS lights are more consistent in quality than the old Arc 4s, and probably the way to go these days. But the HDS controls are overly complicated and these new units lack the heart and spirit of the Arc. I'd never trade my Arc 4 for any HDS.

Navck

Enlightened
Josey said:
My Arc 4 has been competely reliable, switch included, and it's still my favorite light. HDS lights are more consistent in quality than the old Arc 4s, and probably the way to go these days. But the HDS controls are overly complicated and these new units lack the heart and spirit of the Arc. I'd never trade my Arc 4 for any HDS.

Technically they do, same (But improved) electronics...
Arc4s look nice, but the HDS is relyable (I want an Arc 4 body with HDS electronics/switch)

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
Hey guys, just thought I would let you know that I caved in and did the CPF thing...I bought both:ohgeez: They are both very nice, I do like the switch on the HDS a little more though. Plus I cant get the dang ARC 4+ clip to work.