LED Data from "Light Box" ...

wquiles

Flashaholic
My Light Box was designed primarily to test LED's. Here is my first set of data.

As we expected, the "S" bin 1Watt and "U" bin 3Watt do excellent in terms of lumens/brightness or LBU (Light Box Units, since it is not calibrated to any known value). When you take into account the power going to each LED to produce the light intensity, it gets pretty interesting in terms of efficiency ;)

In the graph below, efficiency is directly proportional to the intensity divided by the power to the LED, times a scaling factor. As you can see, the "W" bin 5Watter makes the most light, but it take a LOT of power to get it :)

The "ID" is just that - an ID to uniquely identify each LED on the back of the star. Power to the LED is in Watts (simply vf times 0.750).

I still have quite a bit of LED's to test, but so far that UW0K looks mighty nice :D

LED_Data1.JPG

Will

Last edited:

ICUDoc

Enlightened
wquiles

Thanks for getting more data out there- your birdcage light box (BirdyBox??) is going to help people make sensible decisions.........

wquiles

Flashaholic
I tested additonal LED's tonight. The new data are the four WX1S 5-Watters shown last on the table.

To re-check the setup, I tested again an LED from the first session, LED 3-1 (SYAJ). Last time I got a vf=3.39 and LBU (Light Box Units = intensity)=280. Two weeks later, I test the same LED, same everything, and I got vf=3.4 and LBU=281. I don't know about you, but this is (so far) pretty amazing repeatability !!!

Here is the updated data:
LED_Data2.JPG

Will

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about getting an X-binned emitter in "The
Birdhouse" ? :grin2: :grin2: :grin2: :rock:

Cheers ! :lolsign:

wquiles

Flashaholic
That would be awesome!

Right now I have very repeatable data, but nothing to "calibrate" my readings against - hopefully soon ;)

Will

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you get a chance to obtain some more U-bin emitters ? (maybe J for voltage-bin?)

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see how some S-bin 1W perform head to head against a U-bin 3W at 500ma. Especially some of the recent S_0H LuxI's versus Fred's UX1Js luxIII's.

:poke: ( I need data for some upcoming mods :naughty: )

-DF

wquiles

Flashaholic
DFiorentino said:
I'd like to see how some S-bin 1W perform head to head against a U-bin 3W at 500ma. Especially some of the recent S_0H LuxI's versus Fred's UX1Js luxIII's.

:poke: ( I need data for some upcoming mods :naughty: )

-DF
I already have tested several "S" 1W LED's against "U" 3W bins as shown above, but you are right, not yet at 500mA - so far, the 3W "U" bins are marginally more efficient when driven at the same current level.

When I started I used a DB750 and it was not until recently that I created the second module with a DB500, so I don't have lots of data with it yet. I am now thinking that a DB 250 would be perfect since at those levels LED's are even more efficient, specially something like the newer "W__S" 5W LED's available recently ;)

Will

Last edited:

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I was just pondering what to install in the PD...

Wiz2x2 @520ma UX1J vs. Wiz2x2 @520ma S_0H

Probably a close draw lumen/efficiency-wise, but I'd be interested to see how tint plays out at the under/over-drive currents.

-DF

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles said:
I already have tested several "S" 1W LED's against "U" 3W bins as shown above, but you are right, not yet at 500mA - so far, the 3W "U" bins are marginally more efficient when driven at the same current level.

When I started I used a DB750 and it was not until recently that I created the second module with a DB500, so I don't have lots of data with it yet. I am now thinking that a DB 250 would be perfect since at those levels LED's are even more efficient, specially something like the newer "W__S" 5W LED's available recently ;)

Will

I just replaced a TXOJ Lux3 with a SWOH Lux1 in a Nexgen 280 light engine. Got a 45% increase in lux readings. Either the TXOJ was at the low end of its bin, or the SWOH was at the high end.

wquiles

Flashaholic
wasBlinded said:
I just replaced a TXOJ Lux3 with a SWOH Lux1 in a Nexgen 280 light engine. Got a 45% increase in lux readings. Either the TXOJ was at the low end of its bin, or the SWOH was at the high end.
Based on the "S" 1W, "T" 3W, and "U" 3W LEDs that I have tested so far, this is exactly that I expected to see. All "S" 1W bins that I have tested have been at almost the same intensity as "U" 3W bins, so you are "seeing" the same thing I "see" ;)

Will

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Wquiles, you do realize that you've got a UWOK binned emitter labeled with VF as 3.49? Apparently it's the superstar in the chart. Maybe some numbers should be double checked. I mean, doesn't 3.49 make it a misbinned UWOJ (and it should be a little lower at 700ma, right)?

Last edited: