Picked up a Streamlight Twin-Task L-1... for $5 bucks!

zulu45

Enlightened
I'm totally stoked at this find, but I found this, new, sealed at a yard sale the other day, for 5 dollars. I was surprised, because I see this for $25 at Batteries Plus, here in Evansville. I'm surprised how good it works, as well as it's labled (haven't tested it) 9.5 hour runtime on LEDs. I'd post a picture, but to be honest with you all, the only digital camera I have here with me is the little camera on my cell phone, which isn't exactly the best picture. But you can see it here: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_twintasks.htm

So, my real question is, does anybody here have any experience with this light? I'm using it as my EDC, hanging it on a keychain clip from Wallyworld... Just wondering what to expect for realistic battery life, if it's as advertised, or less (or hopefully, more).

I gotta say, though, this has me keeping my X5 on my side only as a last resort. I love this little thing, bright LED lights, and a nice Xenon beam. Just hoping the Xenon bulb isn't too expensive to replace, since I expect to be using this light a lot.

carrot

Flashaholic
Nice find. How do you like it?

iirc, Streamlight bulbs are not very expensive. You can probably get two for under $10.

zulu45

Enlightened
I really like it, as I said, been using it as my primary EDC. I'm wondering what kind of battery life it gets, though, not just what the company quotes. That, and, what kind of reliability I can expect from this.

carrot

Flashaholic
Ah, I missed it when I first read your post. Being up late has its drawbacks.

This might answer your question. Certainly not definitive, but noteworthy in the very least. http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96107

It's the only one I could dig up that mentioned failure of the TT. On the other hand, there aren't that many threads actually *praising* the TT, but that's probably because most CPFers (including myself) are more interested in the pricy lights.

Shirley

Newly Enlightened
I have the AA version. I like the light in general- good close range task light and pretty decent throw on ican. Seems to last forever on LEDs. However, mine has been glitchy ever since it took a MILD thump.

IOW, it's a great find for $5, but SureFire it ain't.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice find Zulu! Man do I love yardsales, soon as the weather gets warm...
I have the 2L, I just have never used it yet. I also would have picked the 1L up for $5, on principal. For $5, you could throw it in a trunk/gymbag/coat/tacklebox, or give it away, and not feel bad about it.

zulu45

Enlightened
Yeah, Omega, I was lucky to find it. Although, a flashlight like that, despite how much (or in this case, little) I paid for it, I wouldn't toss it in a toolbox, although I'm planning on buying another (at full price, probably) to keep in my truck, for emergancies. Next on my list to buy, though, is the RR lantern.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
zulu45 wrote: " does anybody here have any experience with this light?"

Please see this linked comparison review with lots of beamshots -

Streamlight Twin Task 1L xenon/LEDs

- as for the battery life - I can't do runtimes -
but I took some current draw readings -
Xenon = 0.92A
3LEDs = 0.17A

That should give at least an indication -
since the nominal capacity of a CR123A is about 1500mAh -
as a guesstimate - the xenon should be in the ballpark of about 1+ hours; and the LEDs ~8hours?

Great Price BTW......

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight 1L twin task is an excellent flashlight!!!!!! The battery life is very close to what is advertised. I own the 1L and the 2L also the 2L 3W Luxeon....All 3 flashlights have been totally reliable plus Streamlight REALLY backs up their warranty. Brightguy.com has very reasonable prices for the Streamlight 1L & 2L twin task lights, and the replacement bulbs.