New Here. Recommendations Please - LED outdoors light

tcp100

Newly Enlightened
I first wanted to say that I'm glad I discovered this place.. I thought I was crazy with my penchant for lights and similar tools! With that, I have a question for you knowledgeable folks.

I'm looking for a light for a specific purpose; this entails long hikes, sometimes arriving or returning at night in the dark, often in bad weather, in quite remote locations. We need at least an hour of runtime, if not more.

Reliable, long-lasting, yet PORTABLE lights are a must..

Anyways, here's what I'm looking for:

-Use 1AA, 2AA or 3AA NiMH batteries
-MUST be waterproof
-One handed operation required - clickie (not reverse) preferred
-Easily clipped onto a vest, or in put a small pocket / holster
-Aluiminum construction, can withstand a decent drop
-

Right now I'm looking at the Fenix L1P, and I've placed an order for a Jet-I. I've got a Golston 7w, and that's great - but it eats batteries and it's just too expensive to take a dozen 123's on these trips (and R123's, while nice, are expensive and we'd need a lot of them)

I've got some of the 2AA River Rocks, but they're a bit too much of a "spot". Actually, something like the River Rock 2AA but without the "spot" focus would be ideal.

What I'd really like is something with a variable focus - spot or flood; but not sure how likely that is with AA LED lights.

The L1P looks great - especially with its near 2-hr 50% brightness on NiMH.. But doesn't focus. Does that sound like a good decision, or does anyone have any better recommendations? Thanks!

Last edited:

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Well, I got lucky and consider that I got the best all-round light: the HDS Ultimate 60.

It got my daughter and myself across a nasty bit of Dartmoor in the pitch dark after the pub, and the other day I droppped it in the road trying to hold 3 shopping bags, eat a sausage roll and lock the car.

The result? Not a cracked lens; not a distorted bezel; just a little roughness on part of the outer rim.

Next time I would probably go for the GTXR version - but for quality of construction they can't be beat. I'm waiting for the 85 version.

I don't work for HDS, but it works for me!

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you've already ordered the Jet-1 I hope you ordered an extention tube to allow it to use 2 AAs? I think you can still add it if you haven't.
It seems to do everything you want and a two stage cllickie will be offered later. This ligth should also run very well with NiMH for (almost) free lumens...

Looks like a good light, but I'm in the Li-ion camp (18650s and 16340 (RCR123)) so it doesn't offer anything new for me.

I'll second the HDS praise, I love mine and edc it whereever I go.
If you don't mind the size and price I'd warmly (very) recommend a SF U2 with Li-ion 18650s... ;)

For hiking/camping I would get a headlamp. I've got a PT Apex which runs on 4 AAs. Best headlamp I've ever tried! (and I've had a few....)

Sverre

Last edited:

whorton5

Newly Enlightened
Would someone mind telling a dumb newbie where to get smart on these 18650 batteries? Would you recommend one for an SF L4? Where is the best place to purchase them? Does SF's great warranty still cover the lights when used with Li-ion batteries? Can the "plastic sleeve" in the U2 be put back in (someone said you needed to remove it to use a 18650)? Thanks for the "illumination"
in advance. :grin2:

Shirley

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest an AA Twin Task, but my experience leads me to believe they aren't very sturdy.

carrot

Flashaholic
whorton5, here.

Welcome to CPF, tcp100!
Here's a question to you -- why not the Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon? Good runtime, good battery life, and durable, though not metal.

Most people are of the opinion that being able to "focus" lights is a gimmick, especially with Luxeon lights like the Fenix. However, if you don't like the shape of the beam, you can make minor adjustments by unscrewing the light emitter assembly from the inside of the head by tiny amounts. I think the Fenix L1P is an excellent choice, but it has no clip and is a reverse clickie. Reverse clickies have a history of being more reliable, though. I've put my Fenix through the shower, clicked it multiple times, and found no water seepage, too.

When the HDS EDC 2AA battery packs come out, it will be a very viable option for you, especially with its adjustable output and rock-solid reliability. However, it's currently unknown as to just when they're coming.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hiked the Wonderland trail around Mt Rainier a couple of years ago with an original Petzle Tikka on one set of 3AAA lithiums. I hung the food bag on the bear pole every night, found the outhouse, and also read a novel over the nine days at night in the tent. But I understand the want/need for AA's as I have found them very useful too because of the availability and favorable lumens per $. I have come to love multi-level lights as well to conserve batteries.
Some good AA lights can be had from Peak (Kilimanjaro, Kino Bay), The Inova X1 is solid with a twist + momentary button with good run time, and the MiniMag 2AA can be modded with several LED options for longer run time. I don't know much about it, but a Nextorch can be had from Emilion that takes 1xCR2 or 2AA, but may take a while to get here from the far east (don't know how soon you need it), and Waion has the Morpho 1 (not sure about current availability) that comes with a 2AA tube too).
None of these are multi level, only the Fenix two level mods (reverse clicky) or the HDS 2AA tube (not yet available?) will do that (that I know of).

Let us know if you find other options...

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome TCP100!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
whorton5 said:
Would someone mind telling a dumb newbie where to get smart on these 18650 batteries? Would you recommend one for an SF L4? Where is the best place to purchase them? Does SF's great warranty still cover the lights when used with Li-ion batteries? Can the "plastic sleeve" in the U2 be put back in (someone said you needed to remove it to use a 18650)? Thanks for the "illumination"
in advance. :grin2:

The 2 first digits are the diameter of the cell the 2 next is the length in mm and the last is a zero if it is a tubular cell. 18650 18mm dia. 65mm long and tubular...
The U2 is made to use 18650s and can use unprotected ones (you need to know what you are doing with unprotected cells....) I think both the U2 and L4 can use the slimmer 17670 cell.
There is a lot of info in the electronics subforum. If you are wondering about Li-ion cells in SF lights you could search the forum or try to ask in one of the SF threads..
A lot of info in these forums and you'll probably feel like a newbie for a while ;)

Sverre

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix L1P or L2P have my vote for 1AA and 2AA lights. I have many surefire lights and they are great but they all use 123-style lithium batteries.

If 123's are o.k. then I would definately recommend the E1O or the E2O.

-Goatee

GMoney

Newly Enlightened
the UK eLED Zoom can focus from spot to flood, though it is 4aa which is one aa more than you asked for. :)

Otherwise like NoFair said I think the battery tube on the Jet sounds like the ticket, rather than at this point spending another $30+ on the L2P

EV_007

Enlightened
Since getting my Fenix L1P, it's my primary light. I use it for camping and night hiking all the time. This tiny light is almost too bright once your eyes have adapted to the darkness around you. More light than you'll ever need out in the dark woods. Use the lanyard attached to your wrist since dropping it isn't very hard to do due to its small size. This little light gives enough "spill" so you don't have to sweep the hotspot back and forth along the trail to make out peripheral details. The higher color temperature quality of the LED can diminish some depth of field, but not a major issue if walking. I lower the light toward the ground, which casts deeper shadows to make out uneven terrain if in doubt. Also bring an extra battery or two for extended outings. This is where Lithiums really shine here. (Pun intended)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been reports of clickie reliability issues with some of the Streamlight Luxeons but other than that, I think that might be what you are looking for.

Personally, I don't do much 'hiking' but I do quite a bit of walking at night over very rugged terrain, and in all honesty, I really prefer a dimmer light... It allows you to still use the moonlight (when it's out) to your advantage.

I have countless more expensive lights but my favorite outdoor light for such use is a cheapie Walmart 2xAA jobbie with one of Lambda's excellent PR base SMJLEDs. 20 hour runtime... brightness equilavent to older Luxeons. In this particular light, it gives a nice large diameter hotspot and a usable spillbeam. You can use it in pretty much any 2 cell host such as a Mag 2C.

One of my other favorite lights is a modded light... A Mag 2C with a UW0K and an nFlex board. There are two versions of the board a 5 level and an 8 level. Mine gives 8 different levels of output and it's very easy to scroll between them so the right brightness level is always right there. Mags are pretty reliable so that shouldn't be a concern. Though most folks LOVE the throw of modded Mags, my biggest complaint is that there is too much throw and the hotspot isn't wide enough. I usually use it with either a McGizmo 27L reflector (which looks pretty weird in that big head) or a reflector very similar to the Mag, but that's been 'sputtered' which sacrifices ultimate throw but gives a wider and smoother hotspot which I find very useful for my purposes outdoors. You might be able to find one for around $100 fully built. The same modder that build mine also recently had an nFlex in a smaller host similar to the Sam's Club Element.

McGizmo's HD45 is pretty much designed for exactly what you are wanting except it uses 123 cells (or LiONs). It has 2 levels... one very bright and that will get you through almost any situation not requiring a staggeringly bright light and it gives about 18 hours on the low setting. Wide hotspot. Solid light. Both high and low modes are fully regulated. But we're getting to the just under $200 category.

zehnmm

Enlightened
I am not exactly sure this fits what you want, but I have used, during hiking, a 3-cell light, fyi. I have a Vital Gear FB-3 body that takes 3x123's, 2x protected 17500's (which I am currently using....) But it also can run with 2x AA's. It has a clickie tailcap. You can get this body from Lighthound.

On this body I have put on a SF KL1 head. In a run test, I got something like 12 hours with the AA's before the output dropped noticeably. I have also used rechargeable AA's, but have yet to test the run time. The KL1 is a thrower that generates about 30 lumens. For more flood, you could get a beamshaper.

Hope this helps,

Regards.

kbog

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for a good headlamp. The Apex would be a great choice, but I just picked up a Black Diamond SPOT and like it. It has lousy tint, but is very nice with many light outout options.

Bozzlite

Enlightened
Welcome tcp100. Here are my suggestions for the light you are looking for.

1. A minimag modded with a simple TLE-5 drop in and a Terralux tail cap switch. It is a tough dependable light, waterproof, and will give you way more than an hour of run time. Possibly as much as 5 or 6 hours on 2aa alkies. Even more with the Energizer E2 2500 mah rechargeables. The Terralux tail switch is a reverse clickie tho. Comes in lots of different colors. Holster or clip is available for it.

2. The Fenix L2P is also a very good choice. It is brighter than the Minimag w/TLE-5, but has about a 2 hour run time on 2aa alky batteries. waterproof. Tail switch is also a reverse clickie. Comes with a belt holster and has a D ring attachment at the top.

Either one can be had for a total investment of under $40.00. I don't know of any small LED lights that will give you a focus capability.

I would suggest always having a back-up light in the hiking situation you describe. Remote location late at night in all kinds of weather. Why not get one of each.

Last edited:

tcp100

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to say thanks for all your suggestions! I've got some research and some shopping to do now.. Thanks!

tcp100

Newly Enlightened
Bozzlite said:
Welcome tcp100. Here are my suggestions for the light you are looking for.

1. A minimag modded with a simple TLE-5 drop in and a Terralux tail cap switch. It is a tough dependable light, waterproof, and will give you way more than an hour of run time. Possibly as much as 5 or 6 hours on 2aa alkies. Even more with the Energizer E2 2500 mah rechargeables. The Terralux tail switch is a reverse clickie tho. Comes in lots of different colors. Holster or clip is available for it.

..And I have plenty of minimags. I've got an older Terralux for my 3C mag, and I'm not too pleased with it - it's one with the two "side mounted" luxeons on a PCB. The beam and focus on that thing is horrendous. I'll look into the mini mag version -- I'm imagining this is significantly better?

Bozzlite said:
2. The Fenix L2P is also a very good choice. It is brighter than the Minimag w/TLE-5, but has about a 2 hour run time on 2aa alky batteries. waterproof. Tail switch is also a reverse clickie. Comes with a belt holster and has a D ring attachment at the top.

I really think the Fenix is getting the votes here, and I think that's going to be what I get.. Still excited about the JET-I, though.

As for the word on backups: always. I'd never venture out without a backup, or two.

Thanks!

FredM

Enlightened
Can't you use the KL1 with 2AA's with an adaptor? If so this is my reccomendation. That thing rules.