Angryfox        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I went fishing (long story)

Default I went fishing (long story)

I went fishing the other day.

Iím not really a fishing nut like my friends are. On Monday Jerry announced that he was going fishing the coming weekend. By Thursday he had assembled a motley crew of friends that were going. Jerry, Tom and Irv headed over to our vacation property in the high desert of central Oregon Wednesday and Thursday. Jerry called me on Thursday and talked me into coming over. I wasnít able to get time off from work so I wouldnít be able to leave home until Friday night after work. For me it was going to be a quick trip, stay the night, do the morning fish, and then go back home.

Thursday I picked up my fishing license, dusted off my fishing gear, and packed the truck. By Friday I was looking forward to heading out later that night. I got home, threw some beers in the cooler, kissed my wife goodbye, and hit the road.

It is about a 3 hour trip in the truck to the property that we co-own with Jerry. I drove without the radio on, preferring instead to listen to the sweet sound of the big diesel motorís steady thrum as it powered the truck effortlessly up and over Mt. Hood.

When I arrived at about 8:00 pm I pulled into the gravel drive and got out. Jerryís motor home was lit up and the generator was running. I went inside and no one was there. I got the chicken wings and potato salad I bought on the way and washed it down with an ice cold beer. Thinking that perhaps they were down the road at Tomís place, (As he probably would have been nominated to the honary position of camp kitchen bitch in my abscence.) I headed out to the truck to go look for them. As I was pulling out, they pulled in.

They had been anchored up in the secret fishing hole that is about a 45-minute ride in Jerryís jet sled from the marina. When it started to get dark the batteries in his boat were too dead to crank over the big inboard, so they had to limp back on the little 10-horse outboard. It was a starless night and they had a tough time negotiating all the twists and turns. The marina is empty this time of year and there are no lights. They passed it at first without knowing it. Then doubled back once they realized it. If I had been with them there would have been flashlights.

We drank a few beers and talked about their big adventure, fishing, boats, and of course women. Jerry was given the requisite amount of crap for not taking better care of his batteries. I thoroughly enjoyed the easy conversation and camaraderie of the evening. We talked about taking the batteries out the motor home for the boat, but voted instead to just cancel the morning fish.

When I awoke the next morning it was cold and snowing lightly. I was glad we cancelled fishing. I heard some wild turkeys gobbling in the distance. I laid snug in bed until I heard Jerryís generator crank up. I got up seeking that first cup of coffee that would be soon to follow. We drank coffee and chatted inside the warm motor home.

A herd of about 30 or so deer slowly meandered across the property. Grazing amongst the scrub, sage, and juniper. They are not afraid of our presence. I went outside to pee and laughed out loud as a big doe let loose with a long and loud rapid-fire staccato fart. Guilt or even acknowledgement of this social faux pas not showing upon it's poker face.

We went down to the marina to retrieve the boat. I got out of the truck and was scanning the shoreline when I thought I heard a cat meowing. I listened and looked, but finally decided it was just the noisy gulls that I had heard. After loading the boat onto the trailer and as we were heading back Jerry mentioned that he ďfelt bad for that poor cat.Ē He had seen it on the docks and reported that it was in bad shape.

I donít need another cat, I have two already, but I cannot leave a poor little animal to starve to death in the cold in good conscience. When we got back to camp I rummaged around in the storage shed and came up with a cardboard box to put the cat in. I drove back down to the marina. I wandered amongst the houseboats that were sitting high and dry on cribbing for the winter, softly calling for the kitty. I checked the docks, no cat. I finally heard some faint meowing, I followed the sound to the little marina store that is still shuttered up for the winter, and will not open for another month or two. Under the porch I see it peering out at me. I bend down and speak softly to it.

Even though I had been told that it was a sad case, I wasnít really ready for what crawled out. A Persian type cat. So skinny, and its long hair totally matted in feces. It looked and smelled half dead. Yet it was purring loudly, and eagerly craved my touch. I felt sick to my stomach looking at it, for it was the worst thing I have ever seen. The poor thing had to be in pain from the matted hair, not to mention the hunger it must have been feeling. I load it in the box, sickened yet again by how little it weighs, and head home.

I called my wife on the way and gave her the story. She called around and found a vet with Saturday hours to see it. When I got back to town I dropped it at the vetís office. He called back later and reported that it wasnít as bad as I had feared. It was severely malnourished but would recover. It had to be shaved of course. We gave it all the vaccines and tested for leukemia. I went to get it later that afternoon. It ate and drank heartily upon arrival home.

It looks like some bizarre alien. They shaved all itís hair except for the head, tail and feet. It is such a sweet and gentle little cat. I cannot fathom the A-hole that would abandon such a creature to die a horrible death like that.

I may pass on the next fishing trip.

Last edited by Tooner; 04-18-2006 at 06:01 AM.

Default Re: I went fishing (long story)

Great story!
    Um.. nice cat..
    Just one more light and my collection is complete! Ok, maybe two..

Flashaholic*

poor thing! thanks to you for saving him. looks like he'll be a lovely calico sort of kitty..

almost Mr Bigglesworth like LOL

Good story. You did a good thing! You should update this thread every week or month with a picture to journal his recovery.

Yes, you did a good thing.

Might I suggest a name: Bill the Cat

Flashaholic*

So, to sum it up:

You went fishing, and a cat caught you

Gentile head bumps being sent!

Charlie

She'll end up being a beautiful cat, I'm sure, and dedicated to showing her gratitude. My torties and calicos have allways been short-haired, but long or short, they do have some of the most distinctive markings of any cats.

nothing better than finding a >>Kitty<< With a haircut LOL

Well that is exceptional. Good job. I took in a disadvantaged cat one time years ago and he became one of the best pets I have ever had. Always grateful.
    Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.

Flashaholic*

I would like to suggest the name "lucky".
    Bob
    "Truth is the torch that gleams through the fog without dispelling it." - Claud-Adrian Helvetius

I've gone catfishing before, but never ended up with anything like that!

You are a good man.

I've never seen a tortie persian before, I look forward to seeing how she looks after a few months of TLC.
    Paul
    >|\ ______________
    >| |||||||||||||||||!
    >|/
    Everybody's got a little light under the sun -Parliament

Tooner. You are a good person.

Empath. My wife and I have 2 torties, one as sweet as can be. All 8 of our cats are rescues.
    Dana

Thumbs up Re: I went fishing (long story)

I forgot to say that I had a rescue tortie too. She was a good friend for 13 years, and was always full of cat attitude, affectionate, and very entertaining. Our vets and vet techs say that all torties have tortitude.
    Paul
    >|\ ______________
    >| |||||||||||||||||!
    >|/

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

The vet estimates her to be about 7 years old. She was definitely someoneís pet at one point. She will need to be spayed and she needs to have her teeth cleaned. But for now we are just trying to fatten her up some. She looks bigger in the photo than she really is. The vet weighed her at 5 pounds but this was before the shaving, and Iím sure she had at least half a pound of feces and debris in the matted fur.

Right now we are keeping her sequestered in our home office. Only because our other two cats are 2 to 3 times her size and she appears to be too fragile at this point to find her spot in the pecking order. The other cats are freaked out about her for now. Trixie, the little dog is most concerned about her, she frequently checks on her through the glass door, whimpering while wagging her nub tail.

So far she is doing well. She continues to eat well, and her activity level is picking up.

We have yet to name her. My wife thinks she should have a pretty name befitting a little girl. So whatever it turns out to be, just remember it wasnít me that named her.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Tooner
    We have yet to name her. My wife thinks she should have a pretty name befitting a little girl. So whatever it turns out to be, just remember it wasnít me that named her.

I sympathize! This is coming from someone who's family dog when I was a child was named "Taffy". Guess who named her.
    Bob
    "Truth is the torch that gleams through the fog without dispelling it." - Claud-Adrian Helvetius

You did well. Hope she is OK.

If she's anything like our long hair torty (tortoise shell) you are very lucky. Ours loves to be in our laps. She follows me from room to room. The strange thing is that when I stretch out, so does she. She conforms to my contours like a wet washrag. She's the most affectionate cat in the house.

This is how she normally lays.

For a bigger picture of she and I stretched out http://www.tanj.com/family/sam_draped.jpg

Daniel
    ================================================== =
    I have got to plan my procrastination better!

gadget lover,
    That's exactly how my tortie behaved, followed me everywhere and usually stayed within a few feet of me if she wasn't in my lap.
    Paul
    >|\ ______________
    >| |||||||||||||||||!
    >|/

Want to buy Tektite and Tekna lights and parts. PM me with what you have.

LOL. That cat looks very funny!! Even more funny as in the picture her eyes are closed! Hope she does well!

Nice story, and a happy ending.
    Post pics when she recovers her coat.

Update: Good news, bad news, good news

We have a name ÖRuby.

Ruby has so far given us a quite a ride on the emotional roller coaster. As I reported earlier she ate well when we first got her home, but then stopped eating and drinking earlier this week.

She also had always had nasal congestion, but the first vet that checked her out didnít mention it. All he said was that ďher lungs sounded goodĒ. So we chalked it up to the mashed in nose and mouth typical of the Persian breed. We thought we would just have to learn to live with her nasally breathing. But it seemed to get worse with time.

So back to the vetís office we go, this time to our regular vet. Dr. checks her out, and is miffed at the first vetís decision to vaccinate a cat in her condition. Ruby has a fever. She has bad breath possibly stemming from a broken tooth that may have an abscess. Doctor canít tell for sure at this point, as Ruby is still too frail to under go anesthesia.

Doctor gives her a vitamin shot, an antibiotic injection, and subcutaneous fluids. (Thankfully taking her to another room to do this, as I am a bit squeamish.) We are given a liquid antibiotic to administer at home.

That evening and the next day Ruby is feeling very poorly. Still not eating. Sleeping in the back corner of her kennel with her face to the wall. We really feel that she is circling the drain. We know that she canít last very long in her condition without eating and drinking and that we canít wait too long for her to start. Not wanting to stress the cat further we decide to wait one more day before going back to the vet in the hope that the medicine would start working.

Candy (my wife) has fallen in love with Ruby, as have I, and is very worried and depressed about this whole thing. I donít like seeing her like this. All I can do is try to maintain a positive attitude for her benefit, though I too privately think the cat is not going to make it. We take turns holding and cuddling Rubyís listless body under a blanket for long periods of time.

Last night Ruby started eating. Slowly at first, one or two kibbles at a time, increasing the amount with each trip to the food bowl. On her last trip she ate like a horse! She is more active. Her breathing is much improved, better than ever, in fact.

Her physical appearance hasnít really changed much, so there are no new pictures yet. I will of course post some when she looks better.

This morning she has been up and around and is snoozing in my lap as I type this. At this point I am hopeful that we are off the roller coaster ride. I reluctantly have to wake her to give her the medicine now.
    Last edited by Tooner; 04-09-2006 at 06:07 AM.

Youv'e done a good thing, I hope Ruby and your family have many more years together.

Cliff
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats!
    H.L.Mencken (1880-1956)

Flashaholic*

You're a good man. I hope Ruby pulls through, she sounds like a great cat.

Wow, great story and wonderful good deed! I wish Ruby the best of luck! She sounds like she's warmed to you. Hope that the fever subsides and that she gets well soon!

Edit: do you mind posting some more pics?

Hey Tooner, are you feeding her just kibble? If she has a bad tooth the dry food may be hurting it a little bit and cause her to eat less. It sounds like her appetite is improving, but maybe a little canned food would help. I've known a few people with older cats with teeth issues that could only eat canned. Once you can get her teeth taken care of that will improver her health in general probably.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, and pray that she gets better. It doesn't take long to get attached, especially when you are nursing them back like that.
    Paul
    >|\ ______________
    >| |||||||||||||||||!
    >|/

Paul
    Thank you. So far the only food she has shown interest in is the Science Diet kibble. The vet gave us some prescription (Hi fat, Hi protein) wet food but she won't eat it. We will be trying again now that she is eating better. We will try some other brands as well, I'm sure.

She is doing well at this time and has been walking all around the house so she is feeling much better. Her breath no longer smells bad, so the infection is yielding to the antibiotics.

Grox
    Just because you asked:

Last edited by Tooner; 04-09-2006 at 06:09 AM.

Flashaholic*

Thumbs up Re: I went fishing (long story)

O M G!

I thought you had probably already tried wet food Tooner, but I thought I would mention it just in case. My wife has been following this as I give her updates and she loved the name Ruby. She saw the first picture, so I'll have to show her the new ones too.

I couldn't honestly say Ruby is beautiful quite yet, but she looks a sight better than she did. I'm sure in a few more months, with all the TLC she's been getting, she will be a very pretty cat.
    Paul
    >|\ ______________
    >| |||||||||||||||||!
    >|/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast