McLux PD vs. HDS U85

iocheretyanny

Enlightened
Does any one have any pictures side by side between McLux PD vs. HDS U85.

Also to compare these - which light is brighter, throws better, etc... ?

It seems these are the currently available top EDC's (that are not too limited in production)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The HDS U85 will be brighter than the PD with a wider spot and shorter runtime on maximum burn. Size is about the same, but the PD is heavier due to its beefy construction and the brass piston.

The big difference ... the deciding factor IMHO ... is the user interface. Where the PD has a KISS (keep it super simple) 2-stage head twisty with momentary function at the tail, the HDS has a very complex uC switch at the end with a load of different functions and options.

You see two totally different philosophies in two very good lights IMHO (guessing for the HDS, I have only held one at a get-together, I do not own one)

Sorry, no pic :(

bernie

lotsalumens

Enlightened
I simultaneously owned a McLux PD and an HDS Basic 60. The HDS seemed to produce more lumens overall with a wider beam. The PD had a somewhat tighter beam. They were in the same general "brightness" ballpark though, so I would expect the U85 to be a bit brighter still.

cfb

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the PD and U60 and both are high quality lights. Bernie has described them both very well.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:
...the HDS has a very complex uC switch at the end with a load of different functions and options...
However the HDS can be programmed for very simple operation, if that's what you want. You can make it a single level on/off light, a two level light, a momentary only light, etc. You can make two levels where the first level is dim or the first level is bright. The user can program it according to preference.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I've handled both lights, and the McLux.PD "feels" just right in my hands and pockets, while the HDS Uxx series are what I call—"short and stubby" that I have to "fumble" its way in my hands to make it suit fine. Other than that, I just may be persuaded one day to get that HDS U85GT. Hmmm. . .:thinking:

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Interesting. The ergonomics no doubt depend a great deal on individual biometrics. I loved my PD and it was absolutely the best built light I have ever owned, however I found the combination of stiff piston and small size made it hard for me to use (I am not a big twisty guy). For me the HDS is easier to grab and switch on (same with my two stage L4). Big hands I guess.

cfb

Last edited: