Photon Freedom Max: covert vs. regular

Chris201W

Enlightened
I'm planning to buy a photon freedom max and I have the choice between regular and covert (little plastic shield around the sides of the led). I was wondering if anyone has both and could tell me the difference, if any, the covert cover thing has on the beam? Does it make it more narrow? Less useful?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

billvan

Newly Enlightened
I use the IR version... regarding covert/regular, My IR did not have the covert hood which caused alot of "spill" which was interfering with my night vision. I cut a short length (about 1/8") of heat shrink tubing and placed it over the LED. I didn't heat it up, the friction fit is good enough to keep it in place and it directs the beam in one direction only. To answer your question, I believe the covert version does the same... directs the beam instead of having a omni directional type of lighting. Hope this helps!
Bill

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since they're keychain lights, I don't use either style for ranges more than a few feet. However, comparing the red covert Freedom Max I have to a white regular style Freedom Max, out to maybe two or three feet I don't notice a whole lot of difference in the beam spread of the spot, and that's how far I'd want either style to throw. The covert is really nice for not distracting the driver if you're checking a map at night while riding in the passenger seat, which is pretty much the equivalent of how I use it. The regular style will distract a driver.

The beams at six feet or more are quite different but then agin, I wouldn't normally use any keychain light for a range of even that short of a distance. Neither style Photon light is going to be pumping out a huge number of lumens so I generally carry at least one or two other lights for reaching into the dark, but up close, if not my Surefire E1e, it's pretty often one of my Photons that I grab. These lights are nice for a lot of reasons, but also just because they aren't super bright.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with either of 'em, or just about any Photon for that matter.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The covert cover on the Photon products is primarily for mil/tactical purposes so that the LED doesn't spill light making it's holder 'visible'. It will reduce the overall output of the light by blocking some of the output.

Best,

/Matt
www.BatteryJunction.com

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read some posts by people who said that the glare from exposed LEDs on any light just drove them nuts. It is certainly an issue with them.

I have the covert nose on mine and I wouldn't have it any other way. The beam is still floody and I don't feel that there is anything to be gained for my use by widening it out any more. I run mine at half power with one cr2032 instead of two cr2016s so it's pretty safe to say I'm not using mine as a throw king. I think it's really going to depend on your own personal preferences.

There will always be those for whom the widest possible flood will not be enough. I've read in many threads the opinions of those who think that all lights that are not floody are completely useless. Obviously, that statement is correct for them. I don't think that throw vs flood is the issue with this particular light. Even with the covert nose the PF is still floody.

Enough people really like the nose so much that I think it will continue to be an option for a long time. In the end it all comes down to personal preference.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Can't comment on the "covert" version, but I do have the regular one and it sure works fine for what I'll be using it for—and that's IF I'll use it. The "spill" doesn't bother me at all since it gets limited use if ever.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the unshrouded light bothered me a bit from time to time, so I picked up a couple of coverts. But I'm shocked how much total light my two coverts lose versus unshrouded versions. Now, I stick strictly with the regular unshrouded versions. If occasionally the LED bugs me, I place the tip of my thumb across the top, which resolves the problem and still outputs much more total light than the covert.

Joe

Flashdark

Enlightened
Here is the bottom line. Unless you are using your Photon for a signal or location light hanging from a tree branch, or an area illumination light that you don't look at directly, or have it on a hat of some kind with the bill of the hat blocking any light from bouncing back into your eyes, you must use a "shielded/covert" Photon or the back-light will drive you nuts in very short order. Yes, you lose a lot of spill illumination, and thus, a lot of total output, but I have found that you really don't have much choice. I carry three Photon Freedoms (as backups to my primary Surefires) to cover all the bases: a red covert for closeup, a turquoise unshielded for signal or backup cross-country, and a covert white for true-color and general backup. These are backup to my primary Surefires: L1-RD (gen. 1) for cross-country, U2 for general utility, and M3 for weapon light. Hope this helps.

lightplay22

Enlightened
I find the backlight from my photons very unpleasant and have always wondered if it was just me. I think I'll try the heat shrink tubing on mine.

Streamlight stylus is much more useful with the "shroud" on it for the same reason. Direct eye contact with the led is a bummer to me, especially with dark adapted eyes. Love that photon though!

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Freedom Max covert, because it protects the exposed LED. Otherwise, it's just hanging out there, waiting to be knocked around by keys, snagged on pockets/zippers.
The hood does keep the light directional, but that's not as big a concern for me.
It was a gift, but if I was faced with buying a regular or shrouded one, I'd go with the covert.

Chris201W

Enlightened
Thanks guys! That's really helpful. I think I'm going to go with the covert model because I don't want the LED to be hanging out subjected to damage, and I don't want to get that glare. The only times I'll probably use this light is when I just need a little light real quick, doesn't matter how much, just something. A little reduction in brightness shouldn't bother me.

JimmyB

Enlightened
Get the covert. I did and ultimately didn't like it. It was very easy to trim away the plastic around the led and turn it into a regular one. That way you can see for yourself if you like it.

JimmyB

flashlife

Enlightened
Joe Talmadge said:
...If occasionally the LED bugs me, I place the tip of my thumb across the top, which resolves the problem and still outputs much more total light than the covert.
Joe

That's what Duct Tape is FOR !! Make yourself a custom shroud that blocks enough, but not too much of the beam. :)

A trimmed heat shrink shroud would also work, but Hey, we gotta keep the duct tape companies in business...for sure.

"If it s'pose to slip, and won't...WD40.
If it slips, and it's not s'pose to...Duct Tape."