• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired *GONE* LUX V Star w/Unknown Bin

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Re: LUX V Star w/Unknown Bin FS -$20

Kind of amazing. I was in the process of doing EXACTLY the same mod to the same light. Just took my Nuwai ALX-352 apart just minutes ago. I have a WX0S star dying to go in there. Did you measure the drive current ot the LED? Any tips or suggestions on getting the existing star unstuck from its perch (heat or ....) ? Great to see your mod work out, congrats! Wish me luck on mine.... ;)

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey! That's one of my favorite lights. I thought about doing the same thing but the tint of the stock led is so nice I snuffed the idea.

More info please...

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened

Lunarmodule: I used a simple flathead screwdriver to gently unstuck the LED.
smile.gif

I really like this LUX V tint as well, but the new WYOS is slightly brighter and hotter...use thermal compound when you replace the star!

I love this light, but I cannot recommend how to test the drive current as I have already fried the circuit board in my previous one attempting to test the current. It seems that I have not had much luck until my third ALX-352L. The first one was lost by USPS and the vendor has been nothing but difficult. My second one's circuit board was fried when I left the line open and accidentally pushed the on switch before connecting the leads. I am left with a nice ALX-352L body and Lux V with no circuit on that one. I tried to contact Nuwai to see if I could buy a new board, but they never got back to me.
frown.gif
I guess I will sell that one when I get a chance.

Since I didn't have the inclination to replace the fried board with a custom mod, I purchased a third one. My third one is a charm...modded w/ WYOS, it is awesome. But, don't think I will be testing the circuit.
grinser2.gif

TranquillityBase: I'd be glad to offer more info. Just let me know what info you want to know.

naughty.gif

Last edited:

Lunarmodule

Enlightened

Randy,

I got really lucky and swapped stars with the 3W version of this light, went off without a hitch - a very satisfying mod indeed! Now I'm hovering over the 5W version planning the same. I was thinking about your 5W light with blown board. It really is made with nice components, it seems to call out for modification with a different converter (from the Shoppe for example) and some kind of provision made for a switch. If you dont want to try it (I can understand the hesitation) consider selling it to me so I can get my nostril hairs tied in knots figuring out how to get it functional again. I'm just getting my feet wet in modding so I'm enjoying the learning curve, although I wish I could somehow fast track my way to smooth precision soldering. A FLuPIC board might be a neat idea to mount underneath the star on the opposite side of the generously sized well made heatsink. If you dont want to mess with it, drop me a line (PM or email) and I'll likely take it off your hands. I hope you decide to mod it back to life, however. Best of luck to you, hope you have some fun with the challenges!