CR2 or CR123 better for EDC? Why...

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Orb Raw Ns, which is a little smaller than the CR2 Orb Raw. My Fire~FlyIII is probably the smallest regulated CR123 light, and certainly the smallest programmable one.

It all depends on implementation. The Fire~FlyIII is smaller than some CR2 lights. Other single-cell CR123 lights are considerably bigger, so a CR2 light looks relatively small.

For very small lights with a general purpose beam pattern, I think the Orb Raw is a good CR2 light. The Fire~FlyIII is one of the best tiny CR123 lights.

The problem with CR2 is it's not that much smaller than a CR123A, but has only about 1/2 the energy. IOW you pay a bigger energy penalty than the size benefit.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personal preference, IMO. I like a lot of different lights - for me, CR123 is the way to go, but the CR2 is a lot smaller. Size generally isn't my main consideration, so I go 123, but there's a ton of nice CR2 lights out there..

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on your definition of "better". If better means longer running and brighter (generally), then a CR123A. If smaller is better, a CR2.

It's hard to beat the Fire-Fly III when it comes to both. It's so small and bright it's hard to believe there's a 123 in there.