Maglite/Everled reflector (etc) advice?

meanwhile

Newly Enlightened
Hi -

I picked up a 3D Maglite with Everled a few months ago for shamefully little money (possibly less than the price a lot of stores charge for just the Mag here in the UK). The one problem is, of course, that it still has the awful Maglite concentric circles in its beam. Would a better reflector overcome this? I was thinking of a Modamag camless.

Are there any other mods anyone would recommend while keeping the EverLed and 3D form factor? (I've got an original Arc AAA and LS for when I want small lights.) Replacing the lens with glass is the obvious one, but given the EverLed runs nice and cool there doesn't seem to be any point...

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
meanwhile said:
Replacing the lens with glass is the obvious one, but given the EverLed runs nice and cool there doesn't seem to be any point...

Welcome. :wave:

While the EverLED does not produce heat like a hotwire, the stock lens is somewhat restrictive to light emission. I use UCL's in all of my lights except hotwire mods which get Borofloats. Take a look at this thread.

-DF

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!!

You'd get slightly better light output with a nice lens, plus it would be more durable...

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome!

As to what DF alluded to in regards to the UCL, you can try that one with the LDF which "diffuses" the light to some degree. Unless you want to experiment with your stock reflector by "sputtering" it with clear gloss spray paint like Rust-Oleum Lacquer High Lustre Coating. It'll be "trial-and-error" to be sure. I've done it and achieved the smooth beam pattern I was looking for.

The newer replacement reflectors that Litho123, ModaMag has for sale, may not allow the drop-in LED to go through its orifice. You can also check out FiveMegas newly designed QD Cam/Camless Reflector too in the Group Buys and Passarounds forum. Try contacting them to advise you first.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Last edited:

meanwhile

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!

At the price Flashlightlens are quoting (and ond only $1.50 for shipping to the UK) I might upgrade the lens. I doubt that the human eye will really notice a sub 10% magnitude difference, having a logarhythmic response, but it's cheap and might offer better colour balance.

I'll try speckling my current reflector - thanks for the tip.