A BIG decision, please help.

Englander

Newly Enlightened
Hello again all, im new to lights, as ur probably all aware. I posted a while back about a light I was after, for Search and Rescue and general purpose. I said I wanted to spend £30ish, u guys have successfully got me hooked and ive decided to spend quite a bit more. However for travelling the world im still picking a cheaper one as well. Here are my thoughts, please improve upon them if you feel you can. Im also sorta getting a rig for my fiancé, so this is in there as well.

Ive decided to go for CR123's simply because these torches will only be used in more emergencies when travelling and the CR123's are more readily available here in the UK, not to mention their long shelf life and high outputs, probably buy a box of 72 or sumin from Surefire, should last a while. The list is as follows

2x G2 (black) (she likes black best) for her general use and my general use as well when I go travelling.

1x U2 Ultra for my all-round general use (wouldn't take this travelling though, some punk would probably steal my rucksack at gun point with it in it, so not taking anything expensive)

2x SC1 Spares carrier, one for me and fiancé (these ties in with something lower down as well)

1x P60, a replacement for who needs it

1x P61 in the other SC1, incase I should need or want to beef up the G2 while out and about.

I would also VERY much appreciate any suggestions where to buy these?? I want the G2 with the new LOTC (I think this is the lock out thing on the bottom?, does the Surefire.com website stock those yet, I heard u guys saying they stock themselves last after retailers). Please remember I live in the UK as well for any shop suggestions. Probably will get from US as UK is total rip off. The price for all this on Surefire.com is $553/£317 (including the box of 72 CR123's), not sure if they will add shipping charge, shocked if they don't, dunno how much that will be, or how much the customs charge will be, anyone from UK bought this much stuff?

Thank you VERY much in advance! From a newbie light enthusiast.

Craig.

CLHC

Flashaholic
You can also try looking into OpticsHQ located in the Dealer's Corner of CPF.

Chris201W

Enlightened
Surefire.com does have the LOTC tailcap G2, that's where I got mine. The new tailcap has been out for long enough that you'd be getting really old stock if you got one w/the old tailcap. I don't think it's anything to worry about. If you get it direct from surefire, you'll definately get the LOTC.

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
Here's an interesting thing, when working out your finances and deciding what to get:

Consider getting 4 G2s rather than 2 G2s and spare stuff. Because, when you get a G2, what you are in fact getting is:

• A G2 body (tube, head, window, tailcap switch etc)
  • 2 SF batteries
  • A P60 lamp assembly
  • A solid, waterproof case to hold the lamp assembly and 2 batteries in (i.e. the G2 body)
Interestingly, all that lot (i.e. a G2) usually costs less than all the spares stuff you mention. The only disadvantage of this approach is that a G2 only holds 2 batteries, rather than 6. The advantages, however, are considerable: it is cheaper, neater, and you've got a spare everything, including entire flashlight. Clearly, the other advantage is that it means you can get other colours of G2, if you wish!

Regarding the purchase of a P61 lamp assembly: My recommendation would be not to bother. I have been very disappointed in all P61s I have tried, and while they reduce the runtime to a third (and increase the running cost by 3 times!), the benefit is negligible.

In my experience, sticking a P61 into a G2 does not turn it into a powerhouse. You have to try hard to tell the difference between a P61 and a P60, but you don't have to try hard in telling the difference in your wallet or the runtime!

carrot

Flashaholic
Am I the only one who thinks the old G2 has a really neat tailcap/switch assembly? The way they managed to waterproof it with just o-rings and gaskets is cool, though I prefer my LOTC G2 anyway.

If I were you, I'd just carry the U2 on my belt or in my pocket. Then you have it everywhere you might need it, and no chance of anyone taking it. Seriously, no one is going to look at the light and think it's worth taking. A light is useless if you don't have it on you. If you think the U2 is too bulky for pocket or belt carry, how about an L1 or E1L with an F04 beamshaper? Not as bright, but still useful. The best way to figure out which lights are right for you is to try them out -- seek out some CPFers or retail stores in the UK so you can check out a few lights. (btw, I forget -- you got a Fenix, right? The E1L and L1 are brighter than the Fenix, but little to no sidespill. Also, the L1 has two brightness levels.)

Does Surefire.com even ship outside the US anymore?

nethiker

Enlightened
I don't know what kind of traveling you plan on doing, but when I travel I find single cell lights just fine. I usually carry my HDS U60 and keep it always in a sheath on my belt. My last trip to China I decided to leave the expensive stuff at home and I took a couple of Fenix L1P's. They were plenty bright, even for lighting up dark ally ways, but I missed the lower levels that I often use on my HDS.

Accept for Africa, I have never desired more light than I had. The ability to throw a bunch of light is useful out in the wilds, but in the city I find it attracts too much attention. There's a lot to be said for traveling light. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Latest posts