Question about Luxeon K2 LED Bulb Replacement for Maglite

01foreman400

Newly Enlightened
I was look around at flash-lights.com and came arcoss the Dimond Luxeon K2 LED Bulb Replacement for Maglite C/D - White LED. It is rated at 6.5 watts and it's only 24.95. Is this a good drop in replacment bulb or should I just get the 3 watt dimond LED for $19.95?

Thanks,
Darrell

Glas4d

Newly Enlightened
im wondering the exact same thing. i am aware that they are not shipping yet but they look pretty good.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
I haven't heard any review of a K2 emitter. However I have expectations: A Luxeon III or V actually driven at 6.5 watts would be shockingly bright. If the K2 can make good use of all that power, It will kick ***. Of course given a chance, I will overdrive the K2 also.(see my sig line).

Efficiency freaks:
Don't start with me again about the inefficiency of overdriving an LED. I am as stubborn as you are... but my flashlights are brighter!

Bernie,
Stubborn LED killer

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
140 lumens/6.5 watts = 21.5 lumens per watt. Next problem is you have to use at least 3 cells. Next bad thing is I've read that the regulation of these drop-ins is not good (down by 50% after only minutes). And finally heat disipation is poor, and Luxeons put out less light when they get hot.

I answer all of these problems with my Triplex driver. With a tri-lux Maglite configuration using three 1 watt Luxeons, 2 regular alkaline D-cells and the Triplex driver, you get 135 lumens for 3 watts of power and after 2 hours, the output is only down by 20%.