New LED gadgets for vehicles (Pimpstar rims)

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New LED gadgets for vehicles

WOW!! Gotta post that on the Porsche sites. Super Bling! What the heck would you write/display on there?

monkk

Newly Enlightened

I came here specifically to post about those Pimpstar things, but I see you have already done do. :)

So cool!

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool,
Rolling probable cause. Make sure they are legal for street use in your area.
Most states have laws concerning the type, color and location of lighting on a vehicle.

Stuff like that if used while operating a motor vehicle on a public roadway is just asking to get stopped.

It is cool though that you can have virtually any image appear on the wheels.

Robban

Enlightened

The vid is on the same page you linked to beneath the example pictures.

carrot

Flashaholic

Pretty crazy stuff. I always thought POV was a gimmick; now I'm sure it is. Still cool technology, though.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

26" package with Pirelli tires ($19,500.00) .. wow.. thats some cheap lights :p

i believe, one can buy a good car for that price of tyres and wheels, :p choice is yours ;)
buy wheels alone or a car

Donovan

Enlightened
Pimpstar Rims. And you thought spinners were annoying!

Description:
"The PimpStar is a huge leap forward in the evolution of the wheel. With the PimpStar's built-in full color LED lights and wireless modem, you can display virtually any image including text, graphics, logos and even digital photos! The included software allows you to create your own images and send them to each wheel individually or all of the wheels at the same time as you drive! You can even pre-load up to six images into each wheel and program them to change automatically at time intervals you select. The wheels are environmentally sealed so you don't have to worry about going to the car wash - and they are powered by the vehicle electrical system so there are no batteries to run out or change - ever!"

Video: http://images.macnn.com/pimpstar1.swf

yo

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Pimpstar Rims. And you thought spinners were annoying!

lol at the rap song at the begining. But yeah lots of tech to keep the image there no matter what speed your car is.. I bet you get pulled over fast for those!! I wonder if they have a battery .. and what kind to power the wheels.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

I've always thought those spinners were stupid. I have to admit though that the tech behind those LED wheels is interesting. It's really a spinoff of those skywriter wands, only souped up with color graphics. I believe that some MIT students came up with the first skywriter, so we can credit or blame them for this!
:laughing:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder how fast they respond to changes in wheel speed. Like downshifting and hamering a 12 sec car lol! Probably instant, otherwise it would cause all kinds of problems. Imagine one of these while doign a burn out lol.

Gotta love now they have spinner hubcaps... Makes me laugh so hard when I see one on some rusted out 80's econobox. Or some civic and some teenager and he thinks' he's just the coolest. lol.

edakoppo

Newly Enlightened

madecov said:
Cool,
Most states have laws concerning the type, color and location of lighting on a vehicle.

Stuff like that if used while operating a motor vehicle on a public roadway is just asking to get stopped.

Yeah--talk to JimH about this, as he reported getting a lot of LEO attention at the holidays with a display that's a lot less animated (vehicle in foreground, not the house):

DSC00886.JPG

Last edited:

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

The technology is cool, the wand and wheel, but who is that full of him or herself they need display screens on every square inch of their car?

Officer: I pulled you over for showing obscene images on your wheels, mirrors, rear lamps, head rests screens and that screen in your steering wheel is just illegal.

BTW, they have used spinner rims on pimp my truck on cmt and spinner wheels on speakers for pimp my ride. Those are spun by a small motor made into the speaker grill. For those who want 20inch speakers in clear view of the hatch window while fully occupying their cargo space.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast

madecov said:
Cool,

It is cool though that you can have virtually any image appear on the wheels.

You need to get some other interests besides arresting people.

Darell

Flashaholic

NewBie said:
I saw this an immediately thought of Darrell, shiftd, and Rothrandir
Dang! That's lots of folks to think about all at once! :)

Yeah, somebody recently pointed these out to me. I think I'll pass! Good lord, I can just imagine what's going to be displayed. Spinners are bad enough...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

cobb said:
BTW, they have used spinner rims on pimp my truck on cmt and spinner wheels on speakers for pimp my ride. Those are spun by a small motor made into the speaker grill.

Spinner wheels on SPEAKERS? Good grief! Why not add a motorized beanie while you're at it.

FlashMike

Newly Enlightened

$12,500 for a set of 22" rims with tires, almost $20K for 26". I'll admit I am impressed by the technology, but it's not cheap. And it's only going to be interesting to see once - then it just moves into the annoying category.

I am interested in how they power these things. Battery packs for your wheels? It would surprise me if they tried to bring power from the cars to the wheels. Anyone know?

Finally, I WOULD be interested to find that they don't have any security on the connection to the wheel display controller. Then you could get the software for your laptop, find someone with these wheels, and reprogram them to display something "appropriate" :)