KL4 Head, what alternatives?

eltel999

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post, so please be gentle…

I'm looking to replace the incandescent head on my Surefire e2e with an LED module. Lighthound have a KL4 for $105 but can anybody suggest any alternatives?

The main use is for my work as a paramedic

I'm after good throw rather than flood beam (hope that makes sense)

Runtime preferably 60mins, 30 minimum

I like the form factor of the e2e body and head, as it fit perfectly in a small shears pouch I carry. Not really into carrying huge pouches…

I've read lots of great things about the Aleph series, but these seem real hard to find especially here in the UK.

I have done a fair bit of searching, but with short terms like e2e, KL4 etc I haven't had much luck.

Your help and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks

nirad

Enlightened
The KL4 is not known as a thrower, but has an excellent "wall" of light, great for close to medium use. The KL1 may be more up your alley. It has throw with limited flood or spill. It utilizes an optic that collimates the beam . When used with the E2e body you can get roughly 3 hours of output. Check out http://http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_kl1gen2.htm for various LED light reviews.
smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If you want throw, the KL4 is a NO NO ... it is a pureflood light, or almost so.

The SF KL1 has some good throw, but is way weaker than the KL4 (with longer runtime though), but it lacks spill.

The best throw vs size compromise for the SF E-Series would be an Aleph1 head with a LuxIII driven at approx 1000mA ... will give about 90min (roughly) runtime and will be about as bright as the incan head of the E2e.

If you really wnat THROW ... you have to go Aleph3, the thrwo king in the E-Series realm, but this one is relatively big.

Some pics:

Aleph3 on E2e with Aleph 2-stage Cap:
Aleph3NAT.jpg

Aleph head comparo:
Alephheads.jpg

Aleph1 head on Aleph 1x123 and 2x123 body with standard Aleph 2-stage tailcap
Aleph1Series.jpg

Beam comparison of the Aleph heads:
rekombiluxIII.jpg

Outdoor shootout pics, all the same camera settings:

SF L4:
OutdoorL4.jpg

Aleph1 TW0K LuxIII at 1000mA:
OutdoorAleph11000mATW0K.jpg

Aleph3 TY0J LuxIII at 750mA:
OutdoorAleph3750mATY0Y.jpg

SF A2 incan:
OutdoorA2.jpg

MiniMag clone:
OutdoorMMClone.jpg

A different shootout:

SF E2e:
rl_incan_3_e2e.jpg

SF L4 (same as above):
rl_led_06_l4.jpg

Aleph1 TWAK LuxIII 917mA (in fact it is a McLux-PR head, but it is functionally identical to the Aleph head for this scenario):
rl_led_08_prt_TWAK_917.jpg

bernie

P.S.: welcome to CPF and stay a while !! :) :wave:

blgoode

Newly Enlightened
I have an old and new KL1. I also have an L4. At night teh KL4 rocks!! For a day work light I use the KL1.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

I'd go for an Aleph I with a two-stage tailcap. They have to be ordered online, but are better than stock Surefires for you needs. The two-stage tailcap lets you get less light when you don't want to be blinded or need longer runtimes. When it is dark I often find the 60 lumen flashlights too bright for close work like examining wounds and writing reports.

You should also check out the HDS line of flashlights that are very very good, but somewhat pricey as well. These also work well with rechargeable batteries.

You could also buy a Pelican 2390 for about $100, which should also fit your needs very well.

Happy hunting and be sure to check out flashlightreviews.com.

Sverre

Last edited: