• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Wanted: McLuxIII-Ti spare heat sink

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the title states, I'm looking for a blank spare heat sink that Don used on his wonderful creation, the McLuxIII-T. If anybody that bought spares and hasn't used them and would like to help me out and part with one please let me know. I will pay you for one, I don't know what Don charged for them, but I'll make it worth your trouble. I'm also looking to get a extra Wiz2x2 board (with the kilroy and contact ring if possible) so that I can play with different resistors for a custom drive level.

Feel free to PM me or post here.

Thanks, Dwayne

Last edited:

Fringe

Enlightened
I need these too, and plan on it when Don returns, but it seems you have a project that cant wait!

Good luck

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to made a new heatsink out of copper so I could install the UWOJ that I got from Fred (Photonfanatic)
UWOJupgrade002.jpg

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
There doesn't seem to be any difference in brightness. I guess it will only show when driven at the higher currents.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
bmstrong said:
Does the copper handle the heat better than the stainless?

Copper transfers heat better than stainless, but I don't know what stainless you are referring to. The original heatsink was aluminum and I wanted to leave the original emitter in tact on it so I made a new one. Copper also has better heat transfer than aluminum. I don't know that I needed better heatsinking but I had the copper so I used it.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Way to go Morelite!

You read my mind, I also got a U-bin from Fred that I want to place in my Ti. How did you deal with the screw that comes in from the bottom (converter side)? Or better yet, how do you remove the converter? I have a spare heatsink to use, but cant figure out how to get the old one out. After desoldering the leads, there is still that anchor (ground) screw to contend with. The converter stumps me as to how to get it out unscathed. Any suggestions?

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Necessity is the mother of invention. Excellent work on the Cu heatsink, much superior thermal properties than Al. This should move over to McGizmo Forum, its really an excellent instructional for us Ti owners. I asked Don to publish a how-to for emitter / converter change that he promised upon his return. Ill patiently wait for that on one condition, that he brings the 27LT to market first! Im really impressed with your work! Do you have any subjective commentary on the nature of the light after the emitter change? The photos dont show much, but they are just a profile shot and dont demonstrate how practical the difference may be. Im eager to hear your comments, it will help me to decide if I should go with the U-bin III or the more radical Lux V and converter swap. Might be fun to have a Ti XY0S.....

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunar, If you remove the screw the heatsink will be loose and only hanging on by the LED wires, then you have to desolder the LED wires from it and it will come out. That screw holds both the heatsink and the converter in place. You then have to remove the bezel ring, window, o-ring, and reflector to get to the led and heatsink, they come out from the front. I can't say that I notice a big difference in output with the UWOJ, I'm sure it there but not really noticeable to my eyes. I really like the tint of the WO much better than the stock YO. The Cu heatsink does transfer the heat better than Al although I don't really think is was needed. I didn't have a spare one so I figured I would just make one. I had both Cu and Al in stock and I knew Cu had better thermal properties, so I made it out of Cu. I did get in touch with Don and bought a spare one from him. Those where a little harder to make (for me anyway) than I thought they would be. Don did tell me his is going to have a universal heatsink available soon that will allow mounting of different LEDs, like the K2 and some other makes. I did I runtime test before and after with the same battery (MP brand R123 700mAh), I got 1:08 with the TYOH and 1:01 with the UWOJ, so I only lost 7min with the higher Vf of the J. I can't really comment much on putting a Lux V in a Ti host, heat maybe a problem. I know these get rather warm with just a Lux III with a lower Vf and only being driver at 525ma or so. I would be nice to see a luxV, but I know I'm not going to be the ginny pig on that one.:lolsign:

Last edited: